Moving to HCMC in February!

Hi Everyone,

I am new to expat forums and will be new to Vietnam. I am moving to HCMC in February, so I am preparing to come. I am moving from Maryland, USA, but I am from California originally. I hope to make some friends and get to know the city. I want to learn Vietnamese while I am working there.

I am a little nervous about the big move, but I am excited too.

Hey, I would love to show you around. Im from VA myself so its great to see people from the DMV area.

Let me know whenever you want to meet and I can show you around and where to eat.

Hey thanks! I really appreciate it. When I get closer to arriving, that'd be helpful.

Same here girl! I'm moving there on Sunday so will probably know the ropes by the time you get here! More than happy to help you out :)

Hi Anna,
Welcome to HCMC and glad to help you with the first step on the new land and later.
How long will you been in HCMC?

Hi Anna,
Nice to welcome you to Vietnam. February will come soon and hope you will enjoy your time living here^^
Hallie

Hi Anna,

Drop me a msn if you need help when you come!!

Linda

Anna,

I didn't see this thread of yours earlier.  But, as all of these guys have demonstrated, there is not much to be nervous about.  Nothing a little self-awareness and sense of adventure can't overcome.

Best wishes,
Howie

Wild_1 wrote:

Anna,

I didn't see this thread of yours earlier.  But, as all of these guys have demonstrated, there is not much to be nervous about.  Nothing a little self-awareness and sense of adventure can't overcome.

Best wishes,
Howie

Agreed!!!

what up howie

when are you coming back bro?

Charlie

Sorry about the off topic  TheRedDeluge

what part of california are you from? I'm form socal, inland empire area.

Charlie

Hi Anna,
Welcome to Ho Chi Minh city, I would like to be your friend and help you learning Vietnamese language and discovering the Vietnamese cuture. Please inform me when you come Ho Chi Minh city.

Yours,
Giang Minh Tho

Charlie,
Should be back there mid January.  Will you still be around?

Charlie,I was born in San Jose. There are many Vietnamese there as you know. But I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and also north of Sacramento for my high school years.

Nice to meet you all.

Interesting for you, Anna, given your racial background. Hope the genes work in helping with the language!

Good luck, nzgirl, in knowing all the ropes of Saigon in 2 months - outside the foreigner bubbles, I mean.

Wild_1 wrote:

Charlie,
Should be back there mid January.  Will you still be around?

Yup I'll be here man I'm living in d1 give me a call when you get back in.

Anna,

You will be fine.  Compared to me, when I first set foot onto Vietnam, you are way ahead.  I didn't find this blog until a couple of years into my adventure.  But, I came out fine.

Charlie,

Sure thing.  You still have the same number right?

TheRedDeluge wrote:

Charlie,I was born in San Jose. There are many Vietnamese there as you know. But I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and also north of Sacramento for my high school years.

Nice to meet you all.

I love San Francisco, It my home away from home. I was just there for fleet week !

Don't worry about making friends and learning the language there are plenty of people here willing to help.

When are you coming in Feb exactly? will you be here for tet?

Charlie

Hey Charlie, thanks for your kind words. People have been so helpful already and I am not even in the country yet. So I am excited to come and make friends.

I am coming on Feb. 2nd. So yes, I will be here for Tet.

Hey, do not hesitate to contact me, I would love to be your chauffer,especially for the first days! No worry, I am not a taxi or motobike driver, actually I am a lecturer at an univiersity in the city, but I am really into making friends with foreign people, partly because I need to improve my English and exchange culture.

Hi Anna,

Sorry I can't offer you any assistance yet as I am far from being in HCM City. But I just want to say "hi!" and I am excited for you!

May I ask what will you be working in HCMC? By the way, I currently live in Phoenix, but I lived in California (San Francisco Bay Area) for 23 years and have family living in Sacramento and San Jose as well. I am mixed like you. I have a feeling your Vietnamese will be very good in a short time as I have known some "Amerasians" who were did not speak any Vietnamese but then they learned the language very quick. :)

Best wishes to your adventure Anna!

Roe

Pleased to meet you Bao and Roe.

Roe, I am going to teach English. I teach English as a Second Language in Washington, DC and in Baltimore, MD, so I am coming to HCMC to teach as well. I enjoy it very much and I am excited to teach in Vietnam as well.

I hope you are right about being good at the language. I plan to study and work hard at it. I am not sure if having Vietnamese genes helps or if it will be plain old hard work that will lead to my learning.

Best of luck as well.

Hi Anna

I'm from New Zealand and I'll be moving to HCMC a few days after you.  It would be good to meet up once we've settled in. Good luck with your move.

Phillip

Hi Anna,
Nice to meet you here. A big move is exciting. I live in Vietnam and I'll be happy if I can help.

Hope you will have great time in VN.
I'm native in HCMC. In case you need any help for a place to live/rent and Language helping, do let me know.

Cheers.

Alex.

Welcome to HCM city Anna :)
Hope you have great time here :D

Hi Anna,

Welcome to Vietnam, if you need help, pls contact me. Moreover, I will introduce you to other expats living in HCMC.

Cheers,
Tracy

[Moderated]

I am willing to travel guides for you if you need to, because I want to make friends and learn about your country and improve my English skill, I will show you the food and the most famous places of the city, and I'm sure you will like it.

Hey there!

I want to learn vietnamese too. But for me it's kind a different because I can speak it, but can neither write nor read. I was born in Germany and grew up there.

Why is there no real expat meeting? We should really organize one!

Yen

Can you hear the call of the wild. such adventure!

Hello TheRedDeluge, if you here, i wish to meet you, i'm a student and i wish make friend with a English teacher, and maybe I will help you more and more in you life in Vietnam, let you see my beautyful country by my motobiker :)

Dear TheRedDeluge,

Whenever you are here and need supports to adapt to new life in HCMC, please contact me to see if I can be any help.

Welcome you to HCMC, Vietnam and hope to see you some day

Hi Friend,
I would love to meet you and share something about Ho chi minh city which you want to know more.

6 years ago, I had the same situation with you, because I move from my hometown- small town in middle of Vietnam to Ho chi minh city - big city to study university and have worked for 2 years.

Can we meet and talk together?

Hope see you soon.

Tam

Hi there and welcome to the city of Saigon,
I am happy to help you about everything if I can. And I would love to talk with you to practice my English.

hi iam Anna happy to make friend with you if you need anything please call me by this number 01672660607. Thanks

thank you so much P now i came Mui Ne with my friend ready it is so nice i like it but after that i need the job i can not live here without job thanks