Int'l Living - Live & Invest in Belize Home Conference Kit

Just curious if any forum members have seen or purchased the Live & Invest in Belize Home Conference Kit from International Living.  If so, do you think it was worth the money?

Thanks, as usual!

Diane and Larry

just bought it but haven't received the recordings yet.  The reading material I have mostly read before, but I have been researching for a year and a half now.  Always nice to have a copy of everything in one place though.  You don't get any books, which I thought you would, but you have to print it all off.  I had told them a few months ago it would be nice to have actual video recordings, but finally caved and ordered the audio

I purchased the materials. It is worth the read if you are interested in moving to Belize (In my Opinion). Further research in person in Belize has confirmed much of what they say in the materials - thus confirming the purchase price.

Having been a suscriber to International Living several years ago ,I found most everything printed is a form of ad by the author. The things I did research ( panama ) left out much negative stuff, and was not reliable at all. Forums like this one is the best way to go.

XCARET, I agree, why would they tell you the whole story, if they did, some may not find it very appealing.  I love the ongoing journals or situational's.  I read one the other day and I swear I could feel the breeze blowing through my hair.  sighhh. Just two more weeks and I am there....Yea

xcaret wrote:

Having been a suscriber to International Living several years ago ,I found most everything printed is a form of ad by the author. The things I did research ( panama ) left out much negative stuff, and was not reliable at all. Forums like this one is the best way to go.

I totally agree.  IL paints everything through rose-colored glasses, because that's how they sell advertising, seminars, and magazines!  The reality "on the ground" can be far different.  You'll find out a lot more information from forums like this.  There's also an excellent group on Facebook called "Belize Expats" for future, current, and past Belize expats where lots of questions get answered.

I have to say I didn't get the feel that IL was selling their own property, but that is how trusting I can be.  Thank you guys all so much for your input here.  I mostly baught the package for the contacts for when we make the big move.  I feel one can never have too many resources.

sunnybrook77 wrote:

I have to say I didn't get the feel that IL was selling their own property, but that is how trusting I can be.  Thank you guys all so much for your input here.  I mostly baught the package for the contacts for when we make the big move.  I feel one can never have too many resources.

Don't know that they are selling their own properties, but they are certainly supporting their advertiser's properties and interests, which is natural.  They are a business and without advertisers, they wouldn't exist, so it is in their interest to promote all these places, not to show the dark sides.

I personally found all the information I needed about Belize online (from various blogs and websites), from preliminary visits to the country (the BEST way to research), and then on the ground once we moved there -- I never felt that I lacked anything by not subscribing to whatever IL is selling.  Not saying it's not valuable, just that I feel fairly certainly that all the information is available for a lot less money by other means.

Emily

Point well taken, and I think somewhere in all there info they do say they get commission for related properties.  Their conference price is a joke for sure.  Rooms are not even included!
We will be back this fall for sure to do more of the FUN research!
Do you know if there is blog anywhere for purchasing property in belize through trusts or other offshore accounts?
thanks for now
Deanna

Last year was our fun research of going to countries. Getting the feel / vibe, looking at property, talking with local expats, locals, going to grocery stores, medical clinics, and not going to the tourist areas.

Unfortunately we did not check out Equador as it was the third country we had on our radar to check out. So we limited ourselves to Belize and Costa Rica. Since I am on this forum, you know what we picked.

While we were in Costa Rica we did go to the International Living conference. There were about 400 people in attendance. They had local lawyers, local expats, and expats from other countries there giving presentations. They also had a vendor room with companies selling their services (insurance, real estate agents, land developers, etc. For my work I attend a lot of conferences as a 'vendor', and also as a attendee. This seemed like a typical conference format.

We really enjoyed the presentations given. We felt we got lots of good value. We also went to the booths. All the conferences I attend in my 'day' job the rooms are not part of the conference price.

We are NOT life members of International Living. We have found our new home in Belize and really don't pay much attention to IL anymore. What surprised me at this conference is the number of people there that are life time members and attend many years.

Meeting other expats, or people looking to become expats was very interesting. Like many conferences meeting others doing the same thing and their knowledge and experiences are great to tap into.

Just another source of information.

I better add this to my negative post about I.L. They did open my eyes to many places that one could retire in. Without reading their news letters I would have had a hard time finding them all. They do have interesting information too, with lots of useful little tid bits. I guess I shouldnt have been so negative ,but I think I did my job warning others to look a little beyond the articles you read in their news letters .. I did enjoy reading them.
Also I was never at any of their gatherings.

xcaret wrote:

I better add this to my negative post about I.L. They did open my eyes to many places that one could retire in.

That is definitely true -- they do point out places that people might not have heard of or be interested in otherwise.  I subscribed to their newsletters for awhile (for free) and got plenty of valuable information.  But I also realized that nothing could be as rosy as the way they presented things and that they do have an agenda.  So, I did my own research as well to make sure I got other viewpoints.

pl. tell me what are the facilities available in Bellize in order to settle permanently. what are the prices of land there and also flats or independent houses. looking forward to hearing from any one conversant about my query.

My friend leased alot in the town of Progresso,and will have a 1200 sq ft house built by reliable locals for 60,000 . septic tank or field is extra. he will have it raise on pillars to have his car underneath the house.
He has leased the property for 35 years and pays $10.00 a month for the lease fee. the price to buy the lease was $10,000. Progresso is by a lake in the north of the country , you shop at Walmart accross the border in Chetamul Mexico. its a short drive on a good road . He lives on Ambergriss caye now and rents a small flat for $500.00 a month in San Pedro . Thats the expensive part Movie stars and stuff are there . that Decapio fellow and several others .Oh yeah the suspected killer who invented Mcafee virus protection has a house there too.  eek!

xcaret wrote:

He lives on Ambergriss caye now and rents a small flat for $500.00 a month in San Pedro . Thats the expensive part Movie stars and stuff are there . that Decapio fellow and several others .Oh yeah the suspected killer who invented Mcafee virus protection has a house there too.  eek!

John McAfee has sold his compound on Ambergris Caye, last I heard.

Leonardo DiCaprio does not have property on Ambergris that I am aware of. 

Emily

Sorry, Leonardo bought a whole 104 acre island with airstrip included ,not on Ambergriss caye
I just got my island mixed up lol.

I am being blown up via texts for Land and   planning for property in Belize.  Of course I want to  make a great decision.   the ads acted like there is only a short time to find any good deals.

There will always be property and land for sale in Belize. No Hurry . it will still be here when you get here.
Better to be in country see the available real estate and make a better choice. Photos can and do lie. walking the lot to see if it is a swamp covered with grass (needing expensive filling to build on)  or good solid land is the way to go.
At least those Texts will give you an idea of areas where there is likely to be what you are looking for.

International Living is in the business of promoting real estate in many foreign lands. Personally I take everything they say with a grain of salt because of this "conflict of interest" between viewing their chosen hot spots through rose colored glasses, and telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

gogohobbs wrote:

I am being blown up via texts for Land and   planning for property in Belize.  Of course I want to  make a great decision.   the ads acted like there is only a short time to find any good deals.

Terrific is correct. The adds are always going to be written to make it appear as if there is short supply.

In the USA DOM (days on market) is a key benchmark). If they used a similar metric it would need to be measured in months or years.  :o

I am only familiar with the the Stann Creek District, but I suspect other parts of the country are the same.
In my opinion the primary reasons properties are for sale for years, is 1) the asking price is substanaly too high (greed factor of current owners and Realtors). 2) Loans for nonresidents are very costly, IF one can get one at all, making real estate primarily a cash driven industry.

Don't be in a hurry to buy.
Make at least three trips of a week or more  in different seasons to explore different areas of the country. There is no substitute for your own "sandals in the sand". Once you think you found your area, rent for a while to confirm it.

ditto the above
Do your due diligence before buying anything.
I would suggest using a licensed Belize attorney for your closing to avoid any potential ownership issues.
Take your time, there is always land for sale in Belize, and you want to be certain about what you are investing in before you invest, not after.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

Hi Rosie see you putting word for word ads on at least two forums.