Consejo Shores vs. Corozal Town - Which one is better to own?

Hi,

I would like your opinion, please. Regardless of the price or size, if there are two lots that are in the same category (oceanfront or non-oceanfront): one is in-town of Corozal and one is CS being 6 miles away from Corozal Town. Which one you think you would prefer to own considering the location, safety, convenience, expat community, etc. ? I am hoping to get some honest insider tips that I am not aware of. I am thinking expats all wanted to be gathered at CS. Is it not the case? Thanks for helping.

Considering the location, safety, convenience, expat community, etc.

I am a little bias, as I have several properties on Mayan Seaside, but here is my take on why I prefer Consejo to Corozal

I am assuming that the Corozal location is not on an expat development.

The expat communities in Consejo are all very well managed and are very quiet, ie no loud parties, or the very rare occasion there is a party, it is usually a community gathering
There is a great community feel to the whole area and a lot of organised events throughout the year, some weekly ones that some folk living in Corozal drive to.

Safety in numbers, your home will/can be watched while you are not at home.
You do not get 'Through-Traffic' in Consejo, Consejo is at the end of the road

Convenience is obviously a lot better in Corozal, but there are a few great bar/restaurants in Consejo area and a well stocked store.

The obvious negative is the 7 mile road to Corozal, but you can easily do a monthly shop in either Corozal or Chetumal and just get daily needs from the store in Consejo.

There are a few options for internet/TV providers.

A few great, very quiet sea front/beach spots in the area.
Great fishing and close access to the Rio Hondo.
A few owners of Boat Rental reside in Consejo.

If you want peace and quiet Consejo all the way

mcagun wrote:

Considering the location, safety, convenience, expat community, etc.

The obvious negative is the 7 mile road to Corozal, but you can easily do a monthly shop in either Corozal or Chetumal and just get daily needs from the store in Consejo.

In October of 2015 I flew in on Southwest's inaugural flight to BZE planning to spend two weeks exploring the Northern part of the country. Consejo was high on my list of places I really wanted to see.

Unfortunately due to flooding that 7 mile unpaved road was impassable to cars the three different days I tried to drive it from Corozal. I think a truck with high ground clearance might have made it. I did get to explore most of the other areas I had on my list before heading back down to Placencia for the rest of the time I had left that trip.

I still want to look at Consejo sometime. My question is how often does that road flood out?

In my experience its floods 1 or 2 times yearly and can only be passed by 4x4 type vehicle, most just sit it out and take the time to enjoy the blessing of a full water cistern

(Edited)
Only start to worry if the beer truck cannot get through

Thanks for helping, mcagun. This makes sense. I am worried about safety in Corozal Town now that there have been two missing couples this year with one couple already confirmed as murdered. Consejo Shores being farther away with mostly expat might be a lot safer from the in-town low lives. I bought an oceanfront lot next to the Blue Iguana Restaurant in a subdivision called Finca Solana. It seems to be pretty quiet there. It has some expensive houses along the water. I am debating if I want to put in money to build.

My wife and I are building a home in Cansejo Landings. We did a great deal of research and believe we made the right choice. The drive to Corozal is not a lengthy one, and Chetumal is close also. In a very short time there will be much more in the Cansejo area, not to mention the plans for the airport in Chetumal to be a class B which will allow for international flights, and a planned regional medical center.
I agree that there are advantages to not being in Corozal itself as there are more expats in Cansejo, and it is less convenient to those that may make you uncomfortable. These are just our observations. Check out Cansejo Landings. It is an excellent development with a lot to offer. It has a Facebook page and Youtube.

Thank you. I already purchased a lot in town of Corozal. I don't think I will purchase one in Consejo Landing unless I can sell the one I just got. It is a beautiful lot on the bay front. But, I am concerned about safety to decide whether or not I should build. Do you think Consejo Shores, Consejo Landing and Maya Seaside are safer than Corozal town given that they are a few miles away?

not in my opinion...predominantly expat communities ( ie Consejo Shores, Mayan Seaside, Consejo Landings) may be targeted more because expats are "believed" to be rich and mostly by Belize standards they are.  IMHO I would stay away from them..but that is just my opinion

Some expats are combat veterans and not a good choice to target.

Curious why you purchased property if you are concerned with safety.

Hey guys, I and a friend will be in belize on 1 nov. we plan to stay for one month. We are both retire retired NAVY. We will be in Corozal. Where do we meet everyone?

Within the last two months, the small town of Corozal has 5 murders:  one expat couple, one local couple and one shooting kill. Both couples were killed and threw out like garbage. This happened after the purchase. It had been a beautiful and peaceful place before that.  I will be there alone a lot. I like to walk. This really scares me.

I understand your concerns. The reasons for the murders are an important factor. Also, you can possess a gun in Belize and carry for protection with proper licensing. Again, I would consider living in the Cansejo area over Corozal. That said, there is no where on earth that is completely safe. One must be cautious, vigilant, and also trained to deal with potential situations. Fear is only diminished by preparation, and choice.

For sometime I have had aquaintances who guard estates for profit. I do medical devices with NASA briefs to find devices for atypical problems. Rick

They guarded belize estates often. I have trouble keepin goofs out of my vehicles and home.

For several years I've been researching a move to Belize.  Many years ago I travelled twice to the Mayan Riviera and loved it, so got the idea that I'd like to retire in Belize.  Recently though I've become very disturbed by the increasing number of murders and talk about home invasions, etc.  Unfortunately, I've begun to rethink moving to Belize and I've not yet set foot there. 

As a single woman I suppose I'm more concerned about safety than if I had a partner.  Therefore, it's very unlikely I'll attempt to go there until I begin to hear that things have improved. Even having a partner doesn't preclude me to being any safer if thugs and criminals decide to target me.

cheflorraine wrote:

For several years I've been researching a move to Belize.  Many years ago I travelled twice to the Mayan Riviera and loved it, so got the idea that I'd like to retire in Belize.  Recently though I've become very disturbed by the increasing number of murders and talk about home invasions, etc.  Unfortunately, I've begun to rethink moving to Belize and I've not yet set foot there. 

As a single woman I suppose I'm more concerned about safety than if I had a partner.  Therefore, it's very unlikely I'll attempt to go there until I begin to hear that things have improved. Even having a partner doesn't preclude me to being any safer if thugs and criminals decide to target me.

Do you feel safe where you currently reside? Have you looked closely at that areas crimes and crime rates recently? I assume there are areas and activities in Ontario a person would avoid if they wanted to avoid being a victim. I think that is true of any place in the world.

Belize has a total population of about 376,000 people, so it does not take many crimes to make the statics look very bad.  Even one murder or robbery is tragic, but it would seem the media's recent fascination with Belize is shining spot lights here out of proportion to other parts of the world.

Please read these comments:
https://bestplacesintheworldtoretire.co … -in-belize

Actually, Mexico is now the spotlight of bad publicity. Mexico is now a place to avoid:). Who knows!

For me, it always has been..... But that's another story. :/

Thanks for the link to Best Places In The World To Retire.  I also subscribe to the group.  I don't want to place an view point that is unfair to Belize as a good place to retire or live. I'll elaborate on some of my research, so as not to be one sided.

I have spoken to many people living in Belize full time and asked many questions.  The majority of local people who were either born and raised in Belize or who have become residents have told me that they've had no problem concerning crime.  One went as far as to say he leaves his keys in his vehicle.  Other expats have had experiences such as neighbours setting fire to the grass their goats need for feed, to having a gold necklace torn off their neck through a security gate and recently someone reported that home invasions are on the rise by gangs who are very savvy at dismantling security systems first. 

I've heard that it a good idea to own a dog as an alarm system and things of that sort.  And yes, it's true that serious as well as petty crime happens everywhere.  I lived in a small Northern Ontario town and now in metro Toronto.  Every place has crime, but it seems Belize doesn't have the best police department.  Although, once again I could be wrong.  If a serious crime happens they aren't well equipped to handle it.   The fact that we have police departments doesn't stop crime.  I agree that most likely I would be safe by keeping a low profile, being kind and respectful of people in all situations and not frequenting places that would attract attention. 

The only way to know for sure it to travel to Belize and experience it for myself.  Some day I hope it's possible to do that.

I am with you, cheflorraine. Thank you!

Many of us became gourmet chefs after war. We would go so long w/o food. Man never gonna happen again. Many of us got advanced degrees in diet and food research. Sometimes the worst of crimes are people from elsewhere. I lived in costa rica, mexico, and nicaragua w/o incident but Im with afvclub.com and we have no connections in belize. We had patients there, many other legionaires and even donated medical devices to Wayne Ushers people at the hospital. What holds me up is sun and I like good a.c...Im also @ **..Rick..post script. Wouldnt mind sharing expenses on really nice place in corozal bay long term while I design a portable hyperbaric chamber.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

If you really did "a great deal of research" you would know that it is Consejo not "Cansejo"

This forum does not have an edit button so if you have a miss spelling you did not notice it out there for all to see, no do overs allowed.

You mentioned cisterns. Seems like a lot of homes have them. What is the reason? Is there a shortage of ground water and public water?

Cody9

Its a different "Gig" living out the reach of BWS serviced water.

Some well planned, expat communities have their own piped-water delivery sytems, pumped from sunken well-water, depending on different factors, the water can be "Very Hard" (dissolved minerals, mainly calciums around these parts), only good for flushing toilets and watering plants, most prefer to incorporate "Rain Water" collection sytems in their build design and these can come in various formats, concrete, plastic, etc.

Nothing like taking a shower in "Sweet Rain Water".

Thanks for the info

Hi

Where are you living because this is a old post ...and i too want to be in a SAFE place... :)

hi my name is helen...i am looking at properties in  the  mayan seaside  area      what do you think of the mayan seaside area???    i have walkied through  when  visiting corozal staying at tony's   also nee  any info i can find  about driving through mexico to get to belize  and had belize opened it's borders yet??

A little biased as I live on Mayan Seaside, but in my view, it is the best, most affordable seafront development in the whole Corozal district

Heres why,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Its own piped Well-water sytem, that serves each and every lot, ready to be plumbed in
Electric meters boxes, already built & in front of each and every lot, ready to be wired and connected
Over 20 years on contiunual investment and beautification
Over 10 acres of manicured waterfront & wooded parks,
Beaches and waterfront trails that overlook the "Bahia de Chetumal"
100' peir with sundecks, seating and shade
Dedicated BBQ area with seating and Palapas for shade
Dedicated beaches, one with a water volley ball court
Seafront bathroom with shower
Dedicated Games Court, that include Horse shoe pits, Boccee and two full size Shuffle board courts
Fresh water Lagoon with exercise walking paths around
small boat launch
Its own ancient, protected Mayan mounds

Seafront resturant within walking distance
Surrounded by low level Jungle
The Flora & Forna is outstanding, with all manner of birds which include, Parrots, Parakeets, Blue Jay, Oriole, Hummingbird, Chacalaca, Toucan, to name a few
Other animals that can be seen roaming the parks and surrounding Jungle include, Coati, Peccary, Deer, Fox, Agouti, Ocoelot, Jaguarundi, Puma,

You can also see from the pier, Dolphin & Manatee and the bay offers world class "Flats Fly Fishing" for species such as Bonefish, Jack, & Permit
5 minutes by boat and you are on the Rio Hondo, that borders Mexicos Yucatan Penisula, fishing for Tarpon, Snook and Barracuda

20 minutes and you can be at Corozal airfield, 40 and you can be on the Cayes
1 hour you can be in Chetumal (Mexico)
1.5 hours you can be in Mahahual
3 hrs you can me in the World class Riviera Maya

If anyone needs any info on this development please do not hesitate to contact me,,,,,,,,
I also have property for sale on this development if anyone is interested

:) Hi i know this is a old post ...but are you now living in belize :)

Yes

ok i was already sold on mayan seashore   but all that only makes me want to live there more    all i need is to get myself and two large dogs and three siamese house cats there

hi  i was on that same flight   love belize  corozal  most  alway's stay at tony's  inn in corozal  that is how i found the myan seaside  area    and now want to move there

Hi

this seem to be the place i would like ....mayun seaside.....are there places to rent long term?

we can als talk through [email protected] ...i would love to get more insight...thanks for ur post  :)       

this ? is for MCAGUN

Hi,, if you are interested I have property for sale on Mayan Seaside.,

my email is [email protected],,,,, drop me a quick email if you would like to hear what I have to offer

Cheers
John

I just emailed you ...thx :)

hi  i all ready know what the area is like i have been going to corozal (tony's inn beach resort)    since 2014   walking the area  i have seen the mayan seaside development    since it's beginning   that is where i would like to live ... looking for wooden house one story  one or two bedroom one bath with land  for  large dogs to play      have walked to corozal town  many times with not any problems  .......any way  i am very capable of protecting my property

regarding accomadation in Hopkins. my beach cabana is available for six months from
april. two people only.details [email protected].

sorry correction. belize-is-beautiful.com