Find a small house or apartment to buy

I did not mean to come off snarky- I think I was referring to a post  I had looked at under housing ?
I really don't remember. Please  for give me.

I am working on moving to PR with in the next few months/ to half a year and have been trying to find a small house or apartment to buy- it has been an experience.  I have not been to the island before.  I have  friends and family  who have , but I am surfing on a hunch - trying to get a sense of the different areas of the island and how they differ.  I would be very grateful for any kind of input from anyone.

I am attracted  to Isebal - Aricebo , but like I siad I am learning .

I am not wealthy, my budget is small - considering some properties I have seen going at 4 million dollars. 

I have found a few homes all over the island in my range, but each has something that needs attention- usually there is little to no kitchen. I mean just a sink against a wall.  I know how to live with a small kitchen- but no appliances and no cabinets as well. It would be better if I could find something that is ready to be moved into.

luna4407 wrote:

I have not been to the island before.

I would suggest you spend some time here before you start looking for a house to buy.

Did you read older posts in this forum? There's a lot of info to be found.

Hello luna4407.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Puerto Rico forum as you were off topic on the other one.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Perhaps you might consider renting in PR while you house hunt instead of just jumping into a house.  Some of the rental fees are reasonably low for a descent house.

I agree with the rest of the the friends who have posted their suggestions.  I think you should rent short term and get an idea personally visit each property. At the same time you start having that feel for the culture and everything else.

[Moderated: Use your private message system pls]

There are a lot of people from that area who have relocated from the states to PR and they can give you a feedback.

Different from other RE market... in the states.
If you go too low ..for example something under $60,000 .you might find that they homes are situated in these crowded  communities and probably not  very good neighborhoods.

Unless you find a deal in the rural area where they might not be so much neighbors . Most of the properties in this price range need to be repaired and upgraded.

Good luck in your search