Help - Moving to Istanbul in August

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. I will be moving to Istanbul in August and will be living in the Ortakoy area. I plan to teach ESL once I get there. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate some help with;

1. When should I start applying for teaching jobs?
2. In terms of ESL work in Istanbul - are there many openings for teachers?
3. Is private tutoring work also available or is this scarce/illegal/visa-dependent?
4. Do you have any helpful hints, tips or advice for new ESL teachers moving to Istanbul?

A little about me;

I am a 27 year old male from Ireland. I have a bachelors degree, a TEFL certificate and approx. 2.5 years experience teaching ESL to students from Kindergarten level to High School level, in both Public School settings and 1-on-1 tutoring.

Again, any help or advice is very much appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Peter

Hi, Wellcome, I hope you will be happy in Turkey,
Here you the brief answers
1. Start from April,,, Schools start making arrangments from April to October,,,
2. Yes, being a native speaker is so important
3. It's not illegal do not worry. I dd private tutoring
4. Go and apply by yourself with your cv and certificates. School'da donot appreciate internet, Fax, etc applications

Good luck,,,

Thank you very much for the reply!

About applying for positions - I will not be arriving in Turkey until August so you are saying that I should just apply then in person? Will I have difficulty getting a work visa/residents permit by doing that?

Thanks again!

actually no. it usually works this way : you apply online and they check your CV. if they find you suitable for the job, they contact you and ask you to come for an interview. i just did a quick search and already found lots of teaching jobs that would perfectly suit you. will inbox the link to you in a bit :)

Thank you both for the help!

ArvaritA - That would be really helpful if you could send me the link. Thanks a million!

Send a cover letter and a complete resume
[email protected]
[email protected]. by 31/03/2013

They are seking native speakers

Best wishes,