Question on over the counter medications

My husband and I have relocated to the UAE from the US. Our shipment is due to arrive next month. My concern is that the company who packed our belongings did not allow us to go through them before packing it all. Basically I don't know what is coming. This may include all of the cold medications and vitamins that were in our medicine cabinet. I realize that some common meds that we use in the US are not legal here but am not clear on which ones or what is in the shipment for that matter.  If any of this is not legal here what will happen when it goes through customs? I do not need these things so if they simply dispose of it that is fine, but will we be fined or arrested?

Any information on this subject will be appreciated as it has caused me great stress! I was not happy with this moving company but there was nothing I could do after they packed and hauled it to the shipping yard last December. Believe me I tried as they also packed my wallet!!

Try and have at hand the prescriptions for the medicines, to be on the safe side.  Most likely, personal effects are not normally checked individually, unless something showed up at the preliminary x-ray for cargo.  Trust you have the shipping documents in hand, and you have figured out who the local agent for the ship is.  You need to follow up with the local agent using the copy of your Ocean Bill of Lading (B/L) or AWB (Airway Bill, if goods are coming by air freight).  You may have possibly given also a letter (or an Invoice) listing the goods and declaration of value - sometimes this is required for the customs purposes.
In all likelihood, you have nothing to worry.
For emergency use, try purchasing them over the counter in local pharmacies.

Yes, we do have our paperwork and know who the local shipping company is.

We also have an inventory list for the insurance company that we made before they packed. The plan was to throw away the things that were not on the list. They came in and packed so quickly we didn't make it from one room to the next to check before they were done so it is most likely not accurate. I can't wait to see what comes at this point. It will be a suprise! :)

The medications I am refering to have no prescriptions because the US does not require one for these(I'm thinking specifically Nyquil, Dayquil, Zycam...all cold medications similiar to Tylenol here).

Thank you so much for this information!! It makes me feel better that we are not going to offend anyone or go to jail! :)

I don't know the rules on imports of medication but having the prescription will be helpful.
I visited a couple pharmacies on my last couple visits and either they have very lax laws or pharmacies don't care but you can pretty much pick up everything you can think of without a prescription over the counter. Albeit it will be more expensive than back at home.

You are correct. You can buy just about any medication at the pharmacies here that normally require a script in the US but if you notice some of the common cold medicines I mentioned above aren't available any where. Which was my concern.

So you know, if you have insurance and do get a prescription the meds are free...or at least cheaper.

I just had a thought. They may be illegal and or unavailable because they contain alcohol...for example most cough syrups.

Alcohol based cough syrups are rarely sold in local pharmacies over the counter.

In the USA they are. It's common. I haven't seen any here though but that is understandable. Although I don't think we had any liquid cold medications. I think they were all capsules because that is what we prefer,  which means no alcohol. That's good :)