Visiting Belize in first week of April

How is the weather in general in early April ? Is one part of Belize rainy while another not?
Would I have any trouble renting a car and driving the length of the country and checking in to motels as I feel the need to rest ? I would like a good realestate web site so I can actually see whats for sale ahead of time and plan a bit of my trip. I have a 15 year old daughter ,( no mom) so I am thinking would it be ok for her to finish school there ? I dont thinl Id like to big of a city where there might be crime . Maybe up north so I could slip into Chetamul to shop. I love snorkelling and am wondering if the reef up north is as nice as down south ?

Why do so many houses inland have poles suporting them so they are above ground by 5 feet or so ? Is this so animals etc. cant easilly walk in ?

xcaret wrote:

How is the weather in general in early April ? Is one part of Belize rainy while another not?
Would I have any trouble renting a car and driving the length of the country and checking in to motels as I feel the need to rest ? I would like a good realestate web site so I can actually see whats for sale ahead of time and plan a bit of my trip. I have a 15 year old daughter ,( no mom) so I am thinking would it be ok for her to finish school there ? I dont thinl Id like to big of a city where there might be crime . Maybe up north so I could slip into Chetamul to shop. I love snorkelling and am wondering if the reef up north is as nice as down south ?

Why do so many houses inland have poles suporting them so they are above ground by 5 feet or so ? Is this so animals etc. cant easilly walk in ?

I'll start with your last question first:

Houses are up on stilts so they can catch the breezes.  Many homes do not have A/C as electricity is quite pricey in Belize.  Another reason houses are up high is so they don't flood during rainy season.

Can't help too much with schools as I am not a parent, and quality/availability of schools will vary throughout the country.

April should be dry in the entire country, but keep in mind that even though it's dry season, that doesn't mean you'll never get rain.

Real estate tends to be more on a local basis, so there will be different sites for the different parts of Belize. Here's the MLS for Ambergris Caye, as one example:

http://mlsambergriscaye.com/

Google is your friend and will enable you to find other sites.  There are plenty of long-term (6-12 mos.) furnished rentals in Belize, though, and it is advisable to rent before you buy.  If you've never been to the country before, you will definitely want to rent for awhile first.  Check out Sharon Hiebing's property management company for rentals near San Ignacio:

http://redroofpropertymanagement.com/

And in Ambergris Caye, Keith Newton is an experienced and respected property manager who has long-term rentals:

http://sundancerproperties.com/rental-l … roperties/

There are ex-pats in all parts of Belize.  If you're open to the entire country, you might want to check out the following towns:

Corozal (farthest north and easiest access to Chetumal)
Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker
Hopkins
San Ignacio
Maya Beach/Placencia
Punta Gorda

Belize City has the highest crime rate in the country and is the largest city.  Sometimes it's necessary to go there, but it's probably not a place you would want to live.

Car rentals are not cheap in Belize, so bring your wallet!  We paid $85 for one day in Placencia, though it is surely less expensive if you rent for longer.  Gas is also quite pricey  here, but I can't tell you the exact rate since we live with bikes only on Ambergris Caye.  I think it's in the $5.50/gal range, or somewhere thereabouts.  Someone who drives here can correct me.

I hope this helps!