Permanent Residency Based on Prole

My husband and I had a baby here in Brazil last month and finally had all of the paperwork required to apply for our family reunion visa and turned it all in last week. We started the process here in Recife, PE because that's where she was born. We were optimistic that the process wouldn't take long and we could move to another state in April once the process was complete. Now we realize that is not going to happen because the system is remarkably and notoriously slow.

We still need to move to another state in April, but we're wondering what to do and how this will affect our process.

Anyone with advice or experience on transferring the visa process to a different state once it is started?

Hello richashande,

I cannot understand how you would have gotten the impression that obtaining your premanent visa com base em prole brasileiro would be quick and simple. Did somebody tell you that? If they did, then you've found out the hard way how very wrong they were. Nothing is simple and quick when you are dealing with the Federal Police here in Brazil, and nothing gets done right. For example, take my situation... although I've been residing in Brazil for eleven years now, am married to a Brazilian and have a five year old Brazilian son I am still struggling to get my permanent visa with no sign of light at the end of the bureaucratic tunnel.

If you have not completed the process by April you will need to inform the Federal Police in Recife - PE that you will be moving. If you have the address beforehand that will be even better. By law, you also are required to register your new address with the Federal Police in your new location within 30 days of arrival. Request before leaving Recife that the Federal Police forward any of your documents that they may receive to the Regional Superintendency of the Federal Police (Departmento de Estrangeiros) in your new location.

The move should have no effect on the process itself, however it may cause further delays. Delays are what the Federal Police do the best.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I would blame it on naive optimism :)

We have friends who have done the process and it took them 2 years... I guess we were hopeful that theirs was just the exception. Apparently it's the norm. We've been living in Brazil for almost 4 months now and we should have known from all the difficulties we've had with EVERYTHING else here having to do with the govt that it was going to be a long process.

Anyway, it is what it is. We don't really care if it delays further. At this point we can legally be in the country as long as it takes so who cares if it takes years. We just wanted to be sure that we could move.

Thanks for the info!