Moving to village in Bulgaria without income-self sufficient

Hello everyone
I am looking for stories and advices from people who already moved in rural Bulgaria village...

Me and my fiance are no strangers to living "off the land"
I am not saying that we are exactly used to live on the farm but small time self sufficiency-collecting deadwood from forest for heating in tough winter,having few chickens,rabbits and a goat,building workshop by myself and helping neighbour when he build his own house,my fiance is growing vegetables and fruit trees...

So my question is-would it be possible to live without income in Bulgarian village? We will have some spare cash after buying house but not much...My friend will move us with lot of tools that are needed for managing land,wood and building repairs...

The reason for moving to Bulgaria for us is-the house that we lived in for 2 years now is being sold by my fiance family,we could live here because we tented the garden and the house...so it didnt become ruin
Sorry for my bad english i am not native speaker

Hello Gamb.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you'll get some informations from other members soon.

In meantime, I invite you to read this thread on Cost of living in Bulgaria.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Wow this sounds a bit adventurous to me.

I suppose it is possible but you have to have in mind that it is not very safe in most small villages. There are gangs of gypsies that go trough small villages and steal and torment the grandmas that are left there. Now, I don't say that is in all villages but do check how secure the region is.

As for living out of the land... well people have done it before the globalisation and industrial revolutions so I guess it depends entirely on you. I'm sure the neighbours in these small villages will be friendly and helpful. You cannot produce everything you need, but I suppose in time you will be able to sell your bio vegetables, etc.

Bottom line, I believe it is possible but not easy and you have to check for your security and think things trough. Bulgarian land is fertile enough but it need work.

Good luck, I hope I could help.

Hi Gamb ,

I think it is possible if you go to a village where there are already people from Europe , they will give you sometimes work . But you need a house. A very cheep house is about 3000 euro with minimum 1000 m garden or more .
                                  Axinia Milanova

Living off the land and being totally self sufficient I think is not possible. You still would have to find the money for taxes, things you can't grow, firewood etc.

Solar/wind energy is not cheap to install but the climate here is great for growing veg. Sadly water bills can be high in the summer to keep veg alive and even using a well means either a pump (expensive to run) or other means to get the water where you need it.

Without some form of income life will be hard. That's my opinion. Depending on work from other foreigners can't be guaranteed and there is a lot of competition in the work place.

But good luck if you decide to come, my best advice would be to rent first and see if you really do like Bulgaria warts and all. Our organic garden produces much of the food we eat, but not everything.

How about trying a landshare?

Anyone knows how much will it cost to drill a well say 1000 feet and bring the water up on ground surface? (pumps, pipes, electric connections etc)

Hi!
You need to email me for more information.
Everything depends on you and what you wants are.
What are they?
Email me soon!

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.

It is true, you can live at low cost but, without money, in this day and age....  it is impossible. Even if you own land and a small house you have to pay annual tax for the house.  If you sell some of your produce you will be able to pay the housing tax but there is also 10% income tax to pay on the produce you sell.

You also need money in the bank to get a residency permit.  I think it is now about 2000 leva but i'm sure someone can correct me on that if i am wrong.

If you are experienced living from the land there is no need for electricity.  I have lived in UK for many years without electricity.  It depends on the life you want to lead.  I was much happier when i did not have radio, TV, internet and electric lights. You can burn animal fat for lighting and collect your own firewood if you are young and strong.

You may also need a donkey and cart to fetch and carry.

Hello, everyone,
Now I come across this forum. I am from Bulgaria but for a few years I live in Germany.
About a year ago, I had a mind to live outside of the network, started reading and getting informed on the subject, and so I got to a land-search process. I accidentally got a property in Bulgaria about 200 000 m2 with several houses and outbuildings in it. The property is about 400 meters above sea level and is mixed (fields, vineyards, fruit trees, pastures and forest). There are also several fountains and a creek.
My problem is that the property is too big to handle it alone, and my price comes a little too far. That's why I decided to look for people with whom to share a goal - Living off the grid!
I'd be glad to contact me.

Move to a village with lots of foreigners(or near). It sounds like you may have some skills,plaster, tile, gardening etc. You'll be able to get work from the other xpats. Not at British rates but at a 45 leva / day minimum.

Hi
I am interested about your post. Would you be able to share more details with me?
Krystof ***

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not share any private details on the forum for your own security
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hey i saw ur reply in this topic are you stil searching for more people? il gladly hear it contact me iff u stil do .