Retirement in Bulgaria

Thinking about retiring somewhere warm with a low cost of living? Bulgaria would be a good place to start, well so it seems according to the press. So what is the big attraction for retirement in Bulgaria? A very low cost of living is a major consideration, a loaf of real bread, not the cheap rubbish from your local supermarket, would cost you about twenty pence, a pint of beer would be about the same, and your council tax would be about five pounds per year, yes no mistake there, five pounds! The climate is favourable too, long hot summers and mild winters.

contact me

Hi I'm single female 61yrs old looking to retire in bulgaria can you advise of the real way of life dont want city living but would like some amenities dont mind hard work to renovate living abode dont want luxury just small holding with garden.  Would rather be nearer coast than sofia way.  Is it just a pipe dream or is it really doable?  Would love your opinion on the bad and the good
Thanks
Jaq

Hi Jaq, your dream can come true. I live in Elhovo its about 1hr from bourgas airport and close to the turkey border, its not too busy and ideal for someone to retire.

Since living here I havnt seen any crime or anti social crime. people are lovely

In bulgaria the living is simple.

I know someone who has a few houses to sell, you can buy one for about 20k and over depending on what you want. They are a great value because they need renovating which you say you enjoy.

What else would you like to know?

I am also wondering if it is possible to move to bulgaria and start a new life on a pension and a little capital- property is clearly cheap - is bulgarian a difficult language to learn - will i find new friends - so many questions - i hear that many Brits have returned to Uk  but I would have nowhere to rerurn to - what do you think is it worth the gamble ?

Hello naomioz and welcome to the forum! :)

This post is dated 2010. ;)

I invite you to start a new thread with your questions on the Bulgaria forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello Pw, just joined this forum as I am considering moving to the south of Bulgaria maybe elhovo, and would really appreciate any advice about it. Just saying hello really, as would love to perhaps communicate and even speak with ex-pats who have made the break such as yourself. Thanks for you time anyway, bye for now, Marcus

Marcus i really reccomend the City of Lovech to invest in. Yes its almost in northern Bulgaria but theres is much more economic growth and the property prices are still low.
You can get a lot of property for little money in the villages close to that City and in the centre itself and it really is a wonderfull place

naomioz wrote:

I am also wondering if it is possible to move to bulgaria and start a new life on a pension and a little capital- property is clearly cheap - is bulgarian a difficult language to learn - will i find new friends - so many questions - i hear that many Brits have returned to Uk  but I would have nowhere to rerurn to - what do you think is it worth the gamble ?

Hi Naomioz,

Living in Bulgaria will like you for sure. Properties are cheaper in the north-west Bulgaria. The language is really difficult and complicated to learn but you will make it. Older Bulgarians doesn't speak English but Russian, but most of young ppl do speak English. People are very lovely and friendly and you will find new friends as well.

The country is lovely with real four seasons and great nature. I have lived there for more than 8 years and if you have more questions I would gladly share my experience.

Regards

Hi ,
You are still looking for a property in Bulgaria ?
I am Bulgarian and can help you to find a cheep property over here and i will do it for free no problem

Axinia Milanova

I've spent a bit of time looking at houses around the VT area with 2 estate agents. Can anyone recommend a good estate agent around Varna. Also English speaking lawyers?
Ron

Addres real estate agency used to be ok. If they are still there. There used to be a English guy running a company from the City center he is pretty good. His office is on one of the main streets in Varna centre near the sea front. I can not remember the name there are lots of agents around there.
I never found a good Lawyer in Varna when i was there. Its good if you do though as then you could save money buy not using a agent. Just hire a local person then and go looking for a house.
Then get a lawyer to do the legal work. You will find a much better deal this way.

Was he called "Rick", Mrs God?
If so, he closed the business (like most others), and has now returned to England.

There was another near the seafront called "Phil Crutwell", but he has now turned his hand to teaching English to Bulgarian Students.

I know another Englishman,still in Varna, who worked for an estate agent near the sea front (which also folded). He is good and still works from home part-time. I could give you his email address if you are still interested?

I have just bought a rural fixer upper 30 mins from Varna.  I have an English speaking agent and an English speaking solicitor in Varna.  Although green to this, I can answer questions from the small amount of experience I have gleaned so far.  I approached this country with the knowledge that I could easily write off any initial investment, and with an expectation set in reality mode.  From what I've seen so far, a house with at least 1/2 acre in need of full restoration would be @ £5000.  A basic restored house £20k.  A very nice rebuild £50k.  I have even seen Villas with pools for £250k.  No conditions exist anymore for EU citizens buying property in Bulgaria (you used to have to set up a company), but you cannot buy agricultural land without a company.

Hi there, although not the way to get a bargain, most reliable way is through some of the well established agencies.

In my opinion, yavlena. com and mirela.bg both good options that will do all the job.
Maybe that is why they didn't failed yet...

Chees.

Hi I from Portsmouth too, but living in Malta till Oct when I move to Bulgaria, been going there for 10 years and teo years ago we bought a house in a Village near Veliko Turnovo, yes it a nice gamble, I become a widow at the beginning of this year and it is cheaper to live in BG, on my widows pension, and it is such a safe tranquil life , keep in contact and hopefully if you make the decision to move here we can become friends and share experience's of our new home .

Miriam

Hi Miriam
I just retired to Bulgaria 2 months ago and so far enjoying it very much. I bought a house just outside VT in the village of Dragijivo so we are near neighbours I think

Hi Ron, must be close, lol, so how you enjoying, I be coming to BG, in Sept , for about 3 weeks as I have things that need to be done , before I move for good, I just love Bulgaria , my late husband , feel in love with B.G many years ago, so as the story goes , my early retirement gives me time to move on and live in a country I love .

Hope to hear from you soon Ron

Hi Miriam I enjoy it very much but I have to learn to be patient as nothing happens quiclky here but the cost of living is good and the people are nice. If I can help you with any questions please ask
Ron

Hi Ron

Yes I noticed things do not seem urgent in BG, thank you for your help, I have so much to ask but do not wish to take up so much of your time. Even thou I been to Bg, for some time for holidays , knowing how things go is another matter, I be grateful for your help, as in Sept I need to buy a few things for the house and need to know were best to buy.

Please keep in touch, be nice to hear from you and advice you can offer .

Miriam

Hi,

I would be interested in your experiences regarding tax on your pensions when you became residents in BG. I am approaching retirement age and I understand that there is a flat rate tax of 10% on any income received in BG. As there is a double taxation agreement in place between the UK and BG, that would seem to suggest a beneficial tax regime if I moved to BG compared with staying in the UK.

Can anyone confirm this to be the case and is the process to register for tax receipts in BG difficult ?.

I have an existing Apartment in Sveti Vlas, so know the cost of living etc quite well....but a flat rate income tax of 10% seems a big incentive to relocate there when I retire.

Thanks
Phillo

Hi Miriam
Good to hear from you?! we just moved into the new house yesterday and still a lot to be done. Internet will not be connected till Wed next week so I'm reliant for the moment on Wi-Fi sites.
Also I'm still dealing with Bulgarian beaurocrats for varios reason including residence permit etc

I'll be happy to help in any way I can just ask
My personal e mai;l is and maybe we can meet when you come next month?

[email protected]

Not heard of this Phillo I basically get my pension paid in UK and transfer funds to BG as required using an International currency exchange firm. Though there bare bank charges when the money gets here.

I also today just got a residence permit which required all sorts of financial info including a letter from my bank in BG proving that I'll have no claim on the BG state. This was all that was required

Hi Ron,

Perhaps you may want to look in to this.

Apparently BG has the lowest income tax in the EU. If you spend more than 6 months there, your domicile for tax purposes is in Bulgaria and it is a flat 10% ...which may or may not be beneficial to you.

Best Wishes
Phil

Hello,
Me and mom are doing the same thing
I would recommend that you visit Bulgaria and find a place first.
Petrich and Sandanski are the warmest places to be, and the climate is great for people with Arthritis and breathing problems.
The winters are mild, but as far as the prices, you have to do research, just like me.
I hope this helps a little.
Do not buy anything you have not seen and have not checked with a registered Bulgarian Real estate agent.
Regards

I need a job that can use my English and Bulgarian. I did security in the US, and am hoping to do the same in Bulgaria.
let me know if there are security companies in Bulgaria that I can apply for. I do not need to be trained. It comes naturally to me to be vigilant, hard working and serious about the safety of the public as well as the security of their property.
Please respond if you find something !
Regards,
Svetla

Why does Svetlanik think registration has some magical effect on an estate agent? Isn't it more likely that you will be told whatever the estate agent thinks suits him best, registered or not?

I guess you are not paying attention to my advice? I was making a broads advice about someone going to Bulgaria and retiring there. But if, they are to buy property they have to actually go to Bulgaria to buy the property. Not buy like some people over the internet.

Hi.
I am Svetla and I am Bulgarian living in America, about to relocate back to Bulgaria.
I just want you to keep in mind that I exist and if you hear something about security work in Bulgaria can you please let me know?
I will come home in a few months and do not want to be out of a job for too long. Do you know any companies that might hire English speakers?
Regards
Svetla

[Moderated: keep it in English on the Anglophone Forum pls]

Hello this is peterb52, I am just wondering if you had any replies to your question, is it possible to live on the basic UK pension in Bulgaria any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank You, peterb52

Easily!

Hello,
My mom is going to transfer her pension to a International Bank in Bulgaria when she gets there
but you can use your debit card in Bulgaria while you re looking for the right bank

It is also possible to withdraw money from an ATM with a debit card which draws funds from an account outside Bulgaria. When the overseas government pays a pension in  another currency to a bank outside of the home country the conversion to Euro or Lev (there being a fixed conversion rate it makes no real difference) is done at the time of transfer. If the money is paid in the home currency into a local bank your mum can then decide when to transfer it into Euro in a Euro account with the same bank and take advantage of rate movements.

Bear in mind that despite the massive advertising there is no such thing as an international bank. There are a large number of banking groups which operate in several countries but their bank in each country is separate and subject to the banking laws of that country. Any problems with the system in that country could result in a Cyprus-like reaction by the government affecting all banks in the country.

Charges in Bulgaria are also very different to those in the UK. Where we are used to withdrawing money and depositing money without charge that is not how things work here. Every transaction carries a charge which may be individually small but soon add up and the cost of converting to Lev directly from Sterling added to the deposit charge made on a foreign transaction makes a monthly hole in your mother's pension.

I would advise some research on the web to compare the relative costs and benefits of an offshore account with a UK bank against a so called international bank in Bulgaria.

I am not in the UK! I am in America ! Thank you for your reply!
It is greatly appreciated and I have living close relatives in Bulgaria as I am Bulgarian by birth. But thank you again!

"Hello this is peterb52, I am just wondering if you had any replies to your question, is it possible to live on the basic UK pension in Bulgaria any assistance would be appreciated."

Peter, I stayed in Varna for 1 month this summer.
Varna and Sofia, are considered the most expensive cities in Bulgaria (note:- they are not as expensive as Sunny Beach/Golden Sands tourist resorts).

I didn't stinge and ate out in restaurants every night, went drinking until the early hours most nights, and did the usual tourist things during the day (beach, coffees, small snacks etc).

In those 4 weeks I spent the grand sum of £500. I'd expect to spend a lot less in the autumn/spring/winter months.
Do note this included free accommodation & I was without car.
So in answer to your question - YES, I think it is fair to say that you can currently live quite well in Bulgaria on a UK pension if you already have your accommodation paid for.
Council tax is very low by UK standards.

I agree with varnarama, I moved here from Scotland in June and though I have a works pension and have not yet reached state pension age, as far as I see the average earnings of say a teacher is around 400 Lev per MONTH (almost £200)whereas I think the UK state pension is currently around £110 per WEEK so from that you can in my view live quite comfortably here on the UK pension.

Hi Phillo

I have recently retired in UK, and have been looking to retire abroad, albeit for me in the tropics. However, have also been looking at Bulgaria as an option.  My understanding re: UK pensions is: That even if one retires abroad, then ones tax on combined UK pensions is taxed at source in the UK, and income tax is not transferable. Well, that is my understanding! ... and sucks in my view.  Obviously I am open to be corrected, as will be of interest in knowing of other info!

Best wishes ....... Vee52

With the option to take the pot of cash instead of an annuity, announced in the budget this week, and the favourable exchange rate, I wouldnt be surprised if a few more people start looking at retiring to Bulgaria now.  :/

Hello Ron

I am visiting Bulgaria, Ovcha Mogila in June, are you near this area? how are you finding living in Bulgaria?

Scotland I see was your home, I love Perthshire, so beautiful. Never thought to buy in Bulgaria, feeling excited about visiting, rather scary though.

It would be lovely to hear from you.

Kind regards
Shinina

Hi Shinina, where is the district that "ovcha mogila" is in do you know? I have heard "mogila" near "shuman" I have a house near "Byala,Ruse" and I took a photo of the landscape on a drive to the house the fields were covered with pink and purple heathers, it certainly looks more scottish or uk rural, peak district, I am certain that you will enjoy your visit and see some wonderfull scenery, (and too some not so wonderfull) good look with your visit, I have a trip out in may and I always still get excited and nervous, I think it is a good thing.
(I visited Scotland stayed near Dumfries strolling along the solway coast staying at a lovely little inn, I even took the owners black labrador out for the walk too)
Cheers Steve.