Health insurance

Do we have to have our own health insurance to apply for residency?
I didn't think we had to but I know it is recommended.
Can anyone give us a 'heads up' on a good provider as some I have requested a quote from are extortionate i.e. Eu 6ooo per year each!!
Thanks again.

Hello redmik.

Maybe you could consult our partner as well for a free quote : https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/europe/malta/:)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Sana healthcare via Gasanmamo was quite reasonable a couple of years ago.

you can get the RHA reciprocal healthcare agreement card from the entitlement unit in st johns street valletta if you are an EU citizen and your home country has a reciprocal agreement with Malta in place.

this is free and gives the same cover as a maltese citizen.

Thanks Aurelie, guess what?
This is for one person!!!!!
Based on the information provided, APRIL International recommends Ambassade with :

Medical Expenses     €5,592.00
Administration fee     €30.00
Instalment charges     €92.00
Annual premium including taxes    €5,714.00

toonarmy9752 wrote:

Sana healthcare via Gasanmamo was quite reasonable a couple of years ago.

you can get the RHA reciprocal healthcare agreement card from the entitlement unit in st johns street valletta if you are an EU citizen and your home country has a reciprocal agreement with Malta in place.

Thank you, I found this and maybe it may help others.

https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/chi … ltauk.aspx

yes this is what we have - and have had for four years - and just renewed for the next two years.....

the RHA is for UK passport holders only

redmik wrote:

Do we have to have our own health insurance to apply for residency?
I didn't think we had to but I know it is recommended.

you need health cover - that could be private insurance, or it could be transfer of any entitlement from another EU country via S1 form. It could also be from paying social security contributions in Malta - employment, self employment, voluntary

toonarmy9752 wrote:

yes this is what we have - and have had for four years - and just renewed for the next two years.....

thats good to know :-) Ours are renewable in January, and there were rumours two years ago the scheme might be discontinued.

Did you renew by post, or did you do it in person ?

toonarmy9752 wrote:

With the RHA you don't get an EHIC, and there are other things it doesn't cover - think of it as a third party car insurance versus fully comp

"RHA Entitlement Card holders will not be entitled for:

1. treatment abroad including the UK
   2. the European Health Insurance Card
   3. long-term care and other things and services provided for under the Social Security Act and other legislation."

@GnG - we went to st johns street in person - painless really. it took about 8 weeks to get the actual card but they do give you a temp certificate

GnG..are you saying that an EU nationals resident here currently with an RHA card they cannot get a Malta issued EHIC?

"are you saying that an EU nationals resident here currently with an RHA card they cannot get a Malta issued EHIC ?" correct

toonarmy9752 wrote:

@GnG - we went to st johns street in person - painless really. it took about 8 weeks to get the actual card but they do give you a temp certificate

thanks - you can apply by post, but think would rather do in person - the website says can renew in the final month of validity - is that what you did ?

yes i beleive you can but we decided tom play safe - our was actually expired.....by about one six weeks...

are you 100% sure about the malta issued EHIC

yes i beleive you can but we decided tom play safe - our was actually expired.....by about one six weeks...

if so then that means no EU national can have an EHIC...if they live here!!!!!

"if so then that means no EU national can have an EHIC...if they live here!!!!!"

no, this only impacts people who use the RHA - ie only UK passport holders, who aren't of retirement age, and aren't working, so probably only a few percent of all the EU nationals living in Malta

toonarmy9752 wrote:

taken from the government website mentioned earlier

3. long-term care and other things and services provided for under the Social Security Act and other legislation."

There are about 15,000 EU nationals living in Gozo and Malta. About 6,000 are UK passport holders. Of those, maybe 3,000 are of retirement age, and maybe 2,000 are working (employed or self employed). So at most, 1000 of the 15000 EU nationals living in Gozo and Malta could even potentially apply for an RHA. I suspect the actual number is a couple of hundred.

thanks GnG didnt know that - well you learn something every day

Re European Health Insurance Card - my understanding is that if you are a resident in Malta you can apply for an EHIC card in Malta to use when you travel to other EU countries.

"Re European Health Insurance Card - my understanding is that if you are a resident in Malta you can apply for an EHIC card in Malta to use when you travel to other EU countries."

please see the paragraph I cut and pasted

you can only get it if you qualify for it - qualification isn't just a matter of being resident, you have to also qualify for full coverage under the Maltese healthcare system. Now for the vast majority of the residents of Malta they do, but for those UK passport holders using the RHA they don't qualify.

toonarmy - have you tried applying for an EHIC - do they strictly adhere to their own rules ? I believe the RHA and EHIC are done by the same office

rooikat wrote:

Re European Health Insurance Card - my understanding is that if you are a resident in Malta you can apply for an EHIC card in Malta to use when you travel to other EU countries.

that is true in the UK, because in the UK to get NHS coverage you only have to be legally resident, thats the sole qualification

georgeingozo wrote:

toonarmy - have you tried applying for an EHIC - do they strictly adhere to their own rules ? I believe the RHA and EHIC are done by the same office

GNG my thoughts exactly.... as i have seen other cards there issued to brits of a similar age and standing.....i may just try to apply for one and see what happens....watch this space

yes i have seen EHIC cards in a box there ready for issue.