Moving a midwife to Malta!

Hi guys! My first post on here so please bear with me! I am 21 and from Dublin, currently considering a move to Malta. Halfway through securing my degree in midwifery and have contacted various agencies and govmt. officials in Malta to ask about pay scales and job opportunities but as of yet no replies :( also, my boyfriend will be looking for work as a teacher, my understanding is that only public school is taught through Maltese is this correct? Any info as well on cost of living would be great, so far we've only stayed in the 'touristy' areas! Any and all advice very welcome, thanks a lot :)

Hi irish1991,

welcome to the forum.

You are right in that your boyfriend will have to find a teaching position with one of the private schools as he would have to speak Maltese to have a chance of teaching at one of the government schools. His chances would probably depend on his subjects. Salary of a teacher at one of the private schools would be around 14.000 €/year.

When you have your midwifery degree you would have to apply for it to be recognized in Malta and register with the Council for Nurses and Midwives.. That can take some time. Salary would be similar to a teachers when you find work. The government issues 'calls' for nurses but there are job at private hospital (St.James).

If you both find work your finances would be ok for Maltese standards.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for the reply! His subjects are History and English and he also has a qualification in Journalism - wonder if thats any use in Malta? Do the hospitals work through English?

Hi, I found the Maltese embassy in Dublin really helpful, just send them an email with your plans and they will get back to you with lots of information. I would say that you should expect all the paperwork to enable you to work in Malta to take about six months, its extremely tedious! Also, if you haven't been to Malta before, you should definitely go for a visit before you put a load of effort into plotting a move there. Also try to find out the payscales as they can be considerably lower. Best of luck!

I am an overseas trained Midwife

I want to know the the requirements to work as a Midwife ialta

Please ,what is the process of becoming a Midwife in malta

Please ,what is the process of becoming a Midwife in malta

-@chiomacynthiaumeh

You wont get a reply as the last post was 2013, if you do a search on here you should find more upto date imformation.