African Americans in Australia

Hi

My husband and I are thinking of moving from Canada to Sydney but he is unsure as to how he will be accepted in Australia as he is African Americans. I was hoping to hear from any African Americans currently living in Australia or who have lived there to share their experiences.

Thank you.
Lorna

Please email me: [Moderated: pls send details in private]

Lorna - there aren't many of us but the transition hasn't been bad at all.  I've been here a year and just recently met up with some other African Americans and a Black Canadian well.  Here's a link to my blog where I talked about our first meet up.  http://expatsinoz.blogspot.com/2009/11/ … eties.html

Have a read and then drop me a line if you have any specific questions.  I'd be happy to help in any way I can! [email protected]

Hi cjones2002,

maybe you could post about the next meet up on the forum ;)

All the best,

Julien

Hi there, my good friend Gloria is Zimbabwean so she has similar experience in sydney, she keeps telling me people stare at her and treat her differently but I think she is seeing it the wrong way. She lives in newtown which is a gay lesbian area, although she is not a lesbian at all. But due to her living 2 children and her sister people apparently stare at her due to this also.

I think black people that are from either Africa or African Americans are well received in Australia, a lot better than chinese etc (moderated: offensive message)

So you guys should be fine :)

Just as some strange trivia- most african Americans live in blacktown, nsw(western sydney). Don't know why but its a strange co-incedence!

Hi people
I'm an Afro-French and I have to admit I'm (too) quite stressed out about how Australian people will "receive" me. But I guess if I always have to worry about that I will never go nowhere...
Anyway thanks everybody for your reassuring comments :-D I'll have my own feeling late February!

I have seen very few african americans here, although it is very cosmopolitan. ie there are huge numbers of asian, indian and pakistani people here so you defo wont feel totally out of place.

I'm moving there for college soon. Im black American- im nervous. pray 4 me

Damn I hope I make it

Lornita, first of all I would like to welcome you and your husband to Australia. Let me assure you that Australia (especially Sydney) is one of the most tolerant, multicultural countries on the planet and your husband will not feel out of place anywhere!  There are thousands of black people living in Sydney from all over the world.  Americans (black or white) are genuinely liked in Australia but you must be prepared for a bit of good natured "ribbing" about your accent - don't let it get to you. Australians are very casual and can be very direct in a way that some people (especially from the UK) may find a bit offensive. The Aussie sense of humour can be a bit ruthless and if they say:  "How are y'goin' you bastard?" - it is done in a jovial way.  If you learn to "mix in", be a bit hard skinned and, importantly, give back as good as you get, you will get along fine.  Australia is, beyond doubt, the most egalitarian society on earth (I should know, I have travelled and lived all over the world) where everyone is considered equal. Australians hate phony people who put on airs and graces and the restrictive class system operating in England and parts of the USA (eg Boston) is not tolerated down here.  Australia is like one huge melting pot of mixed races and, quite frankly, its multiculturalism is the envy of many countries overseas.  I'm not saying you will have ZERO problems because (like anywhere), there are always those dreadful, moronic individual racists but they are in the minority.  There are laws against racism in Australia where noone can be refused a job or be disadvantaged in any way because of their colour, religious beliefs, age etc.  I believe we are much more tolerant than America where I was rather shocked at a rather disturbing undercurrent of racism that still exists in the southern states of the USA.  You won't find that level of racism.  Good luck to you!

My wife is African American and I am white American and I was wondering the same thing. I saw the other posts on here about about blacks from Africa but it's really not the same thing there are big cultural differences between them and Black people from America. Also me and my wife are both from the south and it is just as racist in other parts of the country as it is there it's just that people in the south are more honest about being racist, at least in my experience anyway.

I am glad to have found this thread. My family and I, all Black American, are considering moving to Sydney should I accept a recent job offer. After reading through the comments here, I come away with mixed feelings. Are there any Black Americans, Canadians or Africans that can speak personally about their experiences as opposed others guessing about possible racist perceptions? Just trying to get a good feel before I bring my entire family over. I will have a son that will be in high school, so this is an important issue for us. Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

kadiola wrote:

I am glad to have found this thread. My family and I, all Black American, are considering moving to Sydney should I accept a recent job offer. After reading through the comments here, I come away with mixed feelings. Are there any Black Americans, Canadians or Africans that can speak personally about their experiences as opposed others guessing about possible racist perceptions? Just trying to get a good feel before I bring my entire family over. I will have a son that will be in high school, so this is an important issue for us. Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You should check out cjones2002 blog he talks about his experiences in Sydney. He also gives his email address, I would suggest contacting him and asking him directly.

Actually, I have a very unique story. I'm a Black American from Boston and I moved to Australia for 1 year in 2006. I worked in a VERY small town with a population of less than 3000 people.  I must say it was a fairly positive experience.

I made a fair amount friends in the town, which included some caucasians and 2 polynesians. Mostly, people were just curious, because many have not encountered, hung out with, or conversed with many blacks (or Americans) in general. Outback Australians are real jokers, and they, light-heartedly, would make jokes of me being dark-skinned. It didn't bother me. I had to keep an open-mind and remind myself that Australian social culture is not like the US.

Although, my experiences in Sydney and Melbourne were quite different, where black people are more common. Ethnic Australian minorities such as Polynesians, Africans and Arabs tend to be very collective, and seem to socialize very well with one another. I've been referred to as 'brother', 'nigga', and 'bro' very often by them, as I'm also a minority and seen as "one of them". I remember being in a small bar and being coerced into joining and drinking with a group of Maori rugby players who were chanting "Black Power".

You must understand that there is less than 2000 Black Americans currently living in Australia.  They do have a lot more to learn about us. Their main sources of reference are music, sports and the US Navy.

Hello....I have not been to Sydney and very much want to visit...I live in LA and have many friends from Sydney and over the past 3 years met over 15-20 different people from Sydney and every one is soo fascinated about me...They have shared with me that people from Sydney are very much fascinated about people of darker skin tones and that they would be very curious and interested in learning more about African Americans...

As an Aussie, I have to say you will have no problems with you being married to an African American/or Canadian. Aussies are more curious and entrigued by people over seas full stop.  And how come no-one in this forum have mentioned the 'black' people of Australia?  Most of them are married to white Australians. You shouldn't have any fears about moving here. Aussies love visitors. The only ones that make Aussies mad are the ones that come over here and create havock and crime and violence. Aussies are pretty laid back and I reckon you will find your husband will the the centre of attention and you the envy of all women. Count the amount of times you will be asked if your husband has a brother or cousin. LOL. No seriously, Aussie youngsters see AfroAmericans on TV constantly and they will befriend him where-ever he goes. Just be prepared for all the stero-typed qustions about basketball and the Bronx and getto'etc. That's mostely what is on Australian TV here. Besides that, don't worry. It's a big melting pot down here and you'll fit in like everyone else. PS. I live in Sydney.

I know this topic and post is probs finished. but i have an opinion that I would like to share.

I went to Oz for three weeks and traveled a bit while i was there. I'm black by the way.

I too had reservations about going to Australia after i load of people who had never been told me about it being hugly racist towards black people in general. There opinions were based on what happened with the Aboriginal people, so I arrived on guard and probubly spewing negative energy. That lasted about two days after which I realised OZ was nothing like what i thought.

I than went to Cairns, where i thought it would be a bit more old school Australia with a chance of racism. I arrived to find the vast majority of the population were late teen to mid twenties backpackers out to party, the actual residents just seemed a bit happy to speak to a person who wanted to talk about the reef or the rainforest.

The next stop was Brisbaine whihc to me seemed a lot like London. I was only there for 3 days but in that time i managed to find an English style pub ( the pig and whistle). This in my opinion is the sort of backdrop where racism and fights happen but it didn't . Instead what happened was i joined in and in many cases led the cheers for Liverpool football club to win their match against Everton.

I finally went to Stradbroke island which is a little Island of Cleveland near Brisbane. Being a small island i figured rasism might come into play. But it didn't instead i recieved great hospitality.

In conclusion, i didn't experience any direct or mallace racism. There were a few moments when i Visited an Aboriginal art shop and a visiting lady thought i was an Aborinal person that would be able to translate the art to her. When i told her i was from London she was appologetic and we all had a laugh.

When i was with a group of irish men who met an ozzie. they all introduced themselves as being Irish from certain Clans. The Ozzie than said to me, "i don't suppose your Irish" to which i replied "i don't know about that, My last name is Oleary from the clan Oleary"

What i found was a lot of people are curious about where your from and they home in on your accent, because i have a London twang, coupled with some street slang with a slight speech impediment ( I speak fast) people couldn't place me so they just asked. When you look at it in a bigger picture, they ( Australians) are exactly the same with every other vistor. when a chance for a light hearted joke arrises they take it. it actually makes you feel at ease.

By the way i forgot to mention that i did my entire trip with my girlfriend who is white.

Also if you do decide to travel, most of the jokes ( from the men) are based on true stories, like some guy who genuinely eat a huge butterfly.

i'm considering moving there now.

I know this topic and post is probs finished. but i have an opinion that I would like to share.

I went to Oz for three weeks and traveled a bit while i was there. I'm black by the way.

I too had reservations about going to Australia after i load of people who had never been told me about it being hugly racist towards black people in general. There opinions were based on what happened with the Aboriginal people, so I arrived on guard and probubly spewing negative energy. That lasted about two days after which I realised OZ was nothing like what i thought.

I than went to Cairns, where i thought it would be a bit more old school Australia with a chance of racism. I arrived to find the vast majority of the population were late teen to mid twenties backpackers out to party, the actual residents just seemed a bit happy to speak to a person who wanted to talk about the reef or the rainforest.

The next stop was Brisbaine whihc to me seemed a lot like London. I was only there for 3 days but in that time i managed to find an English style pub ( the pig and whistle). This in my opinion is the sort of backdrop where racism and fights happen but it didn't . Instead what happened was i joined in and in many cases led the cheers for Liverpool football club to win their match against Everton.

I finally went to Stradbroke island which is a little Island of Cleveland near Brisbane. Being a small island i figured rasism might come into play. But it didn't instead i recieved great hospitality.

In conclusion, i didn't experience any direct or mallace racism. There were a few moments when i Visited an Aboriginal art shop and a visiting lady thought i was an Aborinal person that would be able to translate the art to her. When i told her i was from London she was appologetic and we all had a laugh.

When i was with a group of irish men who met an ozzie. they all introduced themselves as being Irish from certain Clans. The Ozzie than said to me, "i don't suppose your Irish" to which i replied "i don't know about that, My last name is Oleary from the clan Oleary"

What i found was a lot of people are curious about where your from and they home in on your accent, because i have a London twang, coupled with some street slang with a slight speech impediment ( I speak fast) people couldn't place me so they just asked. When you look at it in a bigger picture, they ( Australians) are exactly the same with every other vistor. when a chance for a light hearted joke arrises they take it. it actually makes you feel at ease.

By the way i forgot to mention that i did my entire trip with my girlfriend who is white.

Also if you do decide to travel, most of the jokes ( from the men) are based on true stories, like some guy who genuinely eat a huge butterfly.

i'm considering moving there now.

It makes me mad at the sheer ignorance people have toward Australia.My belief is that racism exists all over the globe, there is more racism here directed at the growing Muslim population especially the women that totally cover their faces.However  there are black American males that come out to Australia and it is one big playground for them, with the women but then again a lot of women throw themselves at them.I met my ex husband in Sydney in the early 70's when there was very few black people from any country living here, we did feel conscious walking the street  back then.We did survive it.I have a gorgous son who is 31yrs old now and sadly his dad passed away 2 and a half years ago. He was a hard working man and always had ajob in fact he was employed with the telephone company for over 20yrs.There are so my Africans now in Australia also alot of Black Americans .I lived in San Diego after my marriage broke up in the 80's. I found folks  wouldn't even go over the border to Mexico they were shocked that I went with a girl friend of mine.We were not afraid.I say life is to be lived and if you don't take a chance you will never know.Most Aussies are very tolerant .I found more predjudice in New York when my son was small.He was threatened more than one time.So get real, if you don't want to come we wont miss you. and if you come with the scary feeling you will encounter  what you seek.

Lorna - check out expatsinoz.blogspot.com for some entertaining posts on life here. Also, you and your husband can join the African-Americans in Australia facebook group and everyone there is really helpful.

thanks for the info however I do not have a husband.I was married to a West Indian.He passed away but I spent a lot of time in the USA.

Lornita, I seriously doubt you will have any problems in the  big urban areas of Australia.  Australia (and in particular, Sydney and Melbourne) is one of the most multiculturally tolerant countries on earth.  In fact, black Americans are extremely popular - people here (in Sydney and Melbourne) enjoy their company and their music. Sydney is an extremely egalitarian city.  Unlike many States in America, Australia widely embraces all minorities, eg Asians, black and/or gay people.  The large majority of iAustralians are extremely friendly, laid back and obliging. Having said this, I cannot deny that, like most countries, there are racists in this country (and racists can be asian, arabic, black or white) but, fortunately, they are in the minority.  Therefor, please do not worry about coming to this beautiful country.  The thing I love most about this country is its people who accept you for what you ARE and don't really care about what religion you are, your educational background, how much money you make or what colour your skin is.  If you are nice to people here - you will be treated nicely in return.  You are very welcome!  Enjoy your stay here!

Unity in Diversity is India's motto and as long as it will be upheld and people would not question a person's right to wear a turban, burkha or jeans then everything should be allright.

Intolerance and ignorance leads to racism and Tolerance is it's cure.

Everything is Karma.

[Moderated]

Yes you are right - there is racism everywhere and in all societies - I find your story very beautifully written - the description of Australia & all.

I firmly believe in the Laws of Karma - the infallible justice, which works under the supervision of God, so all that happens to us could happen anywhere - it is past deeds of our own we have collected and the consequences are being realised at some point, but we don't know when - both good and bad actions will have consequences from past lives so hopefully we will do good from now on, and then the negative karma balance will gradually be deducted as no more bad karma is being commited :D

Experienced Aussiegal wrote:

It makes me mad at the sheer ignorance people have toward Australia.My belief is that racism exists all over the globe, there is more racism here directed at the growing Muslim population especially the women that totally cover their faces.However  there are black American males that come out to Australia and it is one big playground for them, with the women but then again a lot of women throw themselves at them.I met my ex husband in Sydney in the early 70's when there was very few black people from any country living here, we did feel conscious walking the street  back then.We did survive it.I have a gorgous son who is 31yrs old now and sadly his dad passed away 2 and a half years ago. He was a hard working man and always had ajob in fact he was employed with the telephone company for over 20yrs.There are so my Africans now in Australia also alot of Black Americans .I lived in San Diego after my marriage broke up in the 80's. I found folks  wouldn't even go over the border to Mexico they were shocked that I went with a girl friend of mine.We were not afraid.I say life is to be lived and if you don't take a chance you will never know.Most Aussies are very tolerant .I found more predjudice in New York when my son was small.He was threatened more than one time.So get real, if you don't want to come we wont miss you. and if you come with the scary feeling you will encounter  what you seek.

Hello,

Are you still in OZ and how has your experience been. I am afro-caribbean and will be moving there in 2 weeks..

Hey,

I will be moving to melbourne in 2 weeks. Are you still in OZ and how has it been....I am excited but at the same time also nervous.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Z

Hi Zeekie! I'm African (Cameroon) American and I moved to Sydney about 2 months ago. I won't lie, its a bit of an adjustment not seeing many black people around at all - I've found people to be very friendly and cool at work and in general but when I go out I have gotten the drunken "Girl get DOWWWWN" "Hey Sheniqua" "Why aren't you back in the ghetto" type of comments. Usually resulting in me flipping people off. Its nothing I wouldn't get back on a drunken night in Wisconsin where I went to college sadly.

For the most part Australians are cool, the biggest challenge is just adjusting to seeing few and far black people, and if you like rap or rnb you are sadly on your own. Oh and natural hair products. I am in a desperate search.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. That would be a real adjustment for me. I live in Holland so there are some places where you hardly see any colored people and on top of that I was in a class for 2 years without black people....but i like to have people around who are from the same roots as me. And thanks for telling me about the hair products cause I thought I would see some black hair stores...So I guess I will have to bring my products with me. I will be there in the next 2 weeks. how did you find your place? I have been checking the gumtree but no one has replied:(
I have travelled a lot but I really don't know what to expect from OZ. What brought you all the way there? (email me :akilah_divine[@]hotmail.com

Removed

Hey!

Thanks for the info:)

I hope this forum is still on,,.I want to move to Australia, sidney and i read some of your blogs but everyone seems to be in mixed couples..i would like to know what it is like to live there for a single black male that is not interested in bi-racial relationships but with family in mind..i have lived in the south for 20 years and never traveled to another continent at all but i do research..I like CANADA and AUSTRALIA. Australia more though for the beaches..Can you make a living there and raise a family and connect with other black people who like RB music ,JAZZ,AND RAP.How difficult will it be to get some form of citizenship and not return to US..I do not think i can take much more of the south racism ..It has caused my business to suffer and me also..just disappointing..I would like to start a business there also as i do BOAT SAIL repair and canvas repair work. for 9 yrs..Can any one assist me or connect me with people that can make a transition happen..I would like to live in a diverse place if possible in Sidney..My goal is to move in 2014 spring or sooner!..thanks everyone!!!

Hey is everything still going good there for you..I just joined the blog because i want to move to Australia but do not quite know how..I do not want to end up in Immigration detention..Do you have any ideas for a transition for an small business man..no family just me..your blog is the closet i read about an average joe living and working about Australia..Do you have time to hit me back..Thanks!!

Best thing to do is to check out the australian govt immigration website. This will give you info as to whether you qualify for a visa and what type of visa. Also has application forms online.

Not much call for marine industry jobs.

Cost of living is high here too.

Try this website for this www.numbeo.com

Hi,

I read your post and I understand how you feel. I hope you are adjusting well. If I can help you in anyway I am here in Sydney, I would love to.

Dee

I'm coming from Chicago and would love to get my step on but it doesn't sound like that is possible here. I've been here three weeks and I drove up the Sydney today just to see the city and it is very impressive but I'd like to see more. Can anyone help me.

I know Detroit and she doen't want to do that lol. Everything has been nice so far but I would just like to see some bothers and sisters while I'm here.

yeah me to man, it would be cool...been working the minute they
gave me the work visa, time just blows by...miss fishing on the Michigan lakes must know at least 100 people,fishing buddy's
just had my third grandchild ??? dont feel that old ?? well sometimes I do :cool:

Don't know if I could do Adelaïde , but how many people there anyway.23? LOL just kiding. I came in to Canberra for the first week, which was cool, but stayed in Mitchell, not so cool. I could not wait to get closer to Sydney so I could see some life and it was nice. It's a mix between LA and NYC. I think i'm going to like it.

Removed

I clicked on join but nothing happened. I guess I have to wait until I'm excepted. Thank you very much for your help Sweetie. Are you in Sydney?