Can hire cars (british) be driven accross germany through to poland?

i am thinking of hiring a car in london . i want to drive it across from britain through germany and finally into poland.

i was told by someone recently , that germany does not allow hired cars to be driven accross its border into poland .....

is this true?

i cant think that it is ...

any advice welcome. thanks

i have never heard of some rule that says you can't drive a rental car to poland. but i know that many rental companies have country restrictions. for example, if you rent a car in the US the rental agreement prohibits you to drive it to Mexico, while Canada is allowed. If you rent a car in Germany you are usually not allowed by the rental agreement to drive it to eastern european country, or sometimes only the high end cars are excluded. sometimes you need an additional insurance for those countries. I am sure the rental companies in the UK will have similar rules.

I think this is just a mix up in information.  German Car rental companies do not allow their cars to be driven in Poland.  This is because the insurance that comes with the car does not cover the car in Poland.  I don't know if there is someone who will actually stop the car crossing the border but if it did cross then it would not be insured and you would be breaking the law in Poland by driving an uninsured car.

If you are hiring the car in the UK then it is up to that company to specify which countries their insurance will be valid in.  If they say you are covered to drive in Poland then you can drive it in Poland.  I don't know if they have the same issue with poland as Germany does or not.  If it does cover Poland then just make sure you have the insurance papers handy for when you get to the border.