Looking to living in Ecuador on $1,000 or less a month for two

We are seniors in the US, and we want to talk to people who are/were like us who are now living in Ecuador on $1,000 or less, for two.  Need to know about hospitals and kinds of doctors available, and how modern are they?

How did you get there? And where to live with other expats with similar financial situations, i.e. American host families, and whatnot.

Thank You

[email protected]

Hello joyce52.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can go through the other threads on the Ecuador forum. It may help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Joyce,
Good luck on your quiery.
From the research I have been doing you will be living a bleak life for that amount. I am sure it can be done but that seems like a shoestring budget and renting a place for the amount you have to spend on housing might be not the best area for safety. I budgeted myself a $1900 a month budget but I believe it will probably be around $1600 by the time we get situated. Good luck.

My wife and I are here more or less voluntarily and are paid 800 a month total, of which we save about 20% to be used for traveling when our work is complete.  My life doesn't feel bleak and I don't feel like I've really given up anything that I had in the states.  Except mixed nuts.  I used to eat a ton of Planter's, but they're too expensive here.  We are both young and healthy though, which reduces our medical cost.  Living on $1000 a month will certainly limit what you can do with your free time, but it's not impossible nor miserable.