Retiring in New Zealand

I have been doing some traveling to countries I am interested in retiring in, but I haven't been to New Zealand yet.

Everything I have read about New Zealand sounds great, but, of course none of that matters if I can't afford to  live there.

I am a single 62 years curently living in the USA.  I have a pension of $900 a month and can collect on my social security whenever I am ready to that comes to around $1400 a month, for a total of aroung $2300 a month.

The information I have read on how much it costs to live in New Zealand varies a lot.  Could someone give me a realistic idea of how much it would cost for a single guy to live comfortably (not luxury) in New Zealand?

Thans in advance

Hello!

I think it would be great to make a trip and check NZ out.  I'm in the Northland and LOVE it.  Now, at first glance housing can appear more expensive than US (although UK folks are very happy).  BUT, if it's just you, I see sweet little coastal living rental options around where I am or rooms in large places that can be affordable.  Here you always see it priced per week.  We rented a large house in an amazing area with amazing views and payed what we considered to be a LOT.  More reasonable options I see vary from 180-350/week.  The home sharing concepts are much less.

One possibility could be to come over and WWOOF-- google it and NZ.  I've been looking at the Northland for our older kids and there are lots of fascinating opportunities.  You get room and board for working 4 hours a day.  Word on the street is to make sure you choose one with good reviews so you are not overworked but as you peruse them you will see it's a great way to get to know the country.  You could WWOOF the whole of NZ to get a feel of where/if you might like to settle and meet some sweet as people along the way.

Best of luck!

www.beckyaud-jennison.blogspot.com

wow! I'm in a similar situation I live in Hawaii and I'm considering NZ please reply
DW