Consideration for a move to new zealand from usa

Hi,

I've been offered a job in New Zealand and am seriously consider it.  I'm looking for info on costs and thoughts/recommendations for  what i should ask for in compensation package.

Thanks in advance.

You might want to try the free content at http://www.xpatulator.com/ I can't seem to find the cost of living calculator I used before I moved down, but it has been 6 years!

You will occasionally see reports on how cheap housing is in NZ. This was true 10 years ago, but not at all true now. Make sure to have a look at http://www.nzherald.co.nz/ site for real estate so you know what you are getting into as far as housing costs goes.

Also make sure you keep any existing debt in US dollars in mind. The Kiwi dollar is quite volatile at times. The long term average is around US$0.60, but in the last 12 months it has been as high as US$.80 and as low as US$.42.

That being said, I love it here in NZ. If you enjoy the outdoors, I can't think of a better place to live. Feel free to have a read at http://intrepid101.com/blog/ to get a feel for the kind of adventures you can get up to on a regular basis. I also have several posts on Immigration.

Cheers,
Melanie

Thank Melanie,
I will check out the links you sent.  I've also been reading about he cost of good being high due to having to have everything imported.
I'm excited about the prospect of moving down... new beginning and that  blah blah blah...

So far I have a verbal offer.  Should know next week if it's real - i.e. they need to put it on paper.  Then we'll have to come to terms on compensation, so I'm trying to be prepared.  They said I'd probably split me time between Aukland and Wellington.  Where are you?

Regards,
Dave

Things are often stupidly expensive. It took me a couple years to stop complaining about it on a regular basis. I realised I'd turned a real corner when just last week I bought some generic Tylenol (called paracetamol here) at 100 for NZ$20 and thought it was a good deal! I'm not sure what it would be at Walmart, but I think maybe US$5. If you live to shop, you'll be better off staying in the US.

However, I'm happy to trade cheap consumer goods for the lifestyle I have in NZ. I'm a 5 min walk on flat ground to a lovely beach with clean water I can swim in. I live on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula about 40 min away from downtown Auckland. I lived in Auckland proper for 5 years and moved up to the Peninsula 3 months ago. Wellington is quite a nice city, from what I've seen when visiting.

If you have kids, NZ is a like one huge playground. No large carnivores, no snakes, no poisonous spiders to be too worried about, beaches everywhere and playgrounds I would have killed for as a child. I have no kids, but my partner (a word used here to mean the person you share your life with, married or not married, heterosexual or homosexual) has a little boy by his ex-wife that we have a "time-share" on.

If you have any questions about life in NZ, send 'em on over. It is a fabulous place, for the right kind of person.

M

Thanks M,
I'll take you up on that if you don't mind as things get more real.  My situation is - going thru a divorce - ugly messy money issues.  3 sons - two in college, one 14 who i share time with.  I'm un-partnered and could use a good head cleansing, hence the openness to relocate.  Glad to hear about lifestyle, sounds really nice.  although $20.00 for a bottle of tylonal - yikes!

I moved down after a divorce myself. It's hard to imagine a cleaner slate than moving countries.

M

yoman wrote:

Thanks M,
I'll take you up on that if you don't mind as things get more real.  My situation is - going thru a divorce - ugly messy money issues.  3 sons - two in college, one 14 who i share time with.  I'm un-partnered and could use a good head cleansing, hence the openness to relocate.  Glad to hear about lifestyle, sounds really nice.  although $20.00 for a bottle of tylonal - yikes!

Hello Yoman,

New Zealand is a great place to start fresh, Your sons will love it when they come for visits, So much to do for families indoors and outdoors, Ive lived in Auckland and Wellington and found Auckland my personal preference only becuase the weather differance.
Auckland City itself is pretty busy but the outer suburbs are a little more subdued and the weather is great. Wellington City is wonderful for singles so much to do but the weather can be a bit of downer ,its always windy but hey! if you you like wind surfing and sailing its perfect...
As far as Cost if living is concerned that all depends on which area you live and what part of the country you stay in oh! and how much your income is.
Average apartment cost around $300pw upwards per week in Auckland City ,Groceries around $200pw
Wellington apartments around $200pw upwards and around $150pw groceries
Good luck on your move and your new start.

Dear M and silver fern,
  I too am a family currently in the US and considering the move to NZ. I heard that some items are a little more costly than in the US, but I guess it would all depend on what we are looking for.  I know paying $20 for headache meds will give me a headache. 
  Can you tell me a little more about how much the cost of living is for the area in Blenheim area.  Also how is the weather there? thanks margie