Maps

Just in case you folk didn't know, Google Maps have updated their Tripoli map to include more road names, schools, hotels etc.
Go to http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=Tripoli and zoom in.

Interesting,

There's also a brand new GPS that is on sale for 650LYD.
Preloaded with maps of Libya and all local POI (Gas stations, Hotels, Administrations....)

I saw it in the Libyan Motorshow last week.

Expat Joe wrote:

Interesting,

Preloaded with maps of Libya and all local POI (Gas stations, Hotels, Administrations....)

What brand was it?

I know you can get a Libya map for the Garmin GPS but I've never seen a map for the TomTom

I was looking at a Garmin last week when i was back in KL, both in the main dealer and a big computer mall and both seamed very unsure about the maps for Libya. On the Garmin web site there does not seam to be a specfic Libya map but is covered under the world map which has pretty low resolution. I would be very interested in what other people are using.

The Garmin map which I referred to is a home made / DIY job. It's not an official Garmin product. I don't know which base map it uses but it's very low resolution and not very good quality.

See here for the latest & greatest:

GPS maps for Libya thread

I've hunted all over the google map for a week or so; there's a few areas I'd like to know more where they are in relation to everything else:

Janzour
Tajoura
Al-Sirraj

If anyone can give me some directions in relation to the centre of town/coast etc I'd be very grateful!

Janzour & Siraj are approx 20km west of the city centre off the main coastal highway.

Tajoura is just east of the city centre. From the main highway running east, go south down June 11th Street and Tajoura is around 5km.

Thanks, so I'm going the wrong way in that case.

Any suburb names for the area south of the city between Ain Zara to the east and Airport Highway to the west but north of those silos?

Thanks

any maps that can be uploaded to Ovi Maps? I have a N97 and since Nokia set Ovi Maps free for life worldwide, I think it was a good deal: it worked excellent in Dubai, but is struggling to get connected to the satellites in Tripoli (and only main roads are available with no POI)

the best way is to save the landmarks of the places you visit, at-least you are safe for the next visit.

faqi wrote:

the best way is to save the landmarks of the places you visit, at-least you are safe for the next visit.

Would be nice if I get connection with the satellites and then save the landmark, but it takes long loooooooooooooong time.

Hay,

Check out the following link. It's the only GPS navigation system I've hear of in Tripoli...

www.diwan.com.ly

Keep.it.simple wrote:

Hay,

Check out the following link. It's the only GPS navigation system I've hear of in Tripoli...

www.diwan.com.ly

uyyy... that seems to be asking for money every once in a while... any info on how much the device and the subscription fee?

Found some links that are not working at all (to download maps for cell phone...)... and contact them link is not working after you click on "send" button.

freakyfingers wrote:
Keep.it.simple wrote:

Hay,

www.diwan.com.ly

uyyy... that seems to be asking for money every once in a while... any info on how much the device and the subscription fee?

Found some links that are not working at all (to download maps for cell phone...)... and contact them link is not working after you click on "send" button.

I don't know much about them but you can try emailing them  using their address instead of the form  [email protected]

What I'm sure about that the system exists sometime ago and they keep updating it.

Yesterday while around Regatta, my Ovimaps get connected to the satellites. Was nice to be able to landmark several POI's

freakyfingers wrote:

Yesterday while around Regatta, my Ovimaps get connected to the satellites. Was nice to be able to landmark several POI's

try to use Google-maps, its better than Ovimaps & connectivity is even faster

Sandman6 wrote:
Expat Joe wrote:

Interesting,

What brand was it?

I know you can get a Libya map for the Garmin GPS but I've never seen a map for the TomTom

where can I get this map for Garmin GPS?

There was a vector map of Libya here:

LIBYA GPS MAP

But the link isn't working anymore

Sandman6 wrote:

There was a vector map of Libya here:

LIBYA GPS MAP

But the link isn't working anymore

Cheers Sandman,

I got it from that website, I just have to try it now.

Hope it works ok

The "updated" map from Google has a place marked "East German Embassy", near the Corinthia hotel. A country that ceased to exist in 1990. As did Czechoslovakia which also has an embassy marked nearby.
If this Google "updating" what was there before -  a map showing Rommel's troop positions?