Groceries

Hi, I am staying in Oslo for three months for (academic) research. could you recommend some less expensive good fruit& veggie markets? I am vegetarian.
Thanks!

tea_ welcome to Norway.

The prices of fruits & vegetables generally do not vary much if you happen to shop @ the prominent grocery stores such as Kiwi, Rema, Meny, etc..But if you want to get good deals I would recommend Asian stores in and around Grønland (just outside the T-bane). They generally have better deals to offer, but with a word of caution - you need to double check if its fresh or stale.

Over the years I have seen Norway is turning out to be Veg friendly and you have many eateries & cafe's offering veg stuff.

Thank you vingori! I have seen a couple of reviews on yelp and a blog about Youngstorget, Sultan and Izimir imports stores. Are these good places (Asian stores)? I have been cooking a while now to cut back in Sodium intake (HBP), I am not sure cafes will be good on daily basis (in addition to the cost). Thanks.

Hello,

Where will you be doing your academic research? I work at the University of Oslo. I'm also vegetarian. It can be a problem in Norway, although Oslo is the best place to be. I'm not sure where has the best prices. I prefer to go to the places with the best quality and choice, although obviously they tend to cost a little more. I suppose the places around Grønland would probably be cheapest. There is also a nice market stall at Helsfyr subway station which has a nice selection of fresh produce. Don't know how the prices compare to everywhere else though.

Good luck with your stay,

David