Relocating to Norway

Hi

I am having 6+ years of Experience in IT/Software and Planning to shift to Oslo as I have given interview in a company.Please give me some idea as what is a gud salary for this experience and also approximate cost of living for family of 3(2 Adults + 1 Kid).My Kid is 2.5 yr old so how much would be the schooling cost.

Thanks

Priyank

Hi Priyank

Welcome to Expat.com!

I wish you good luck in your search and all the best.
:)

Christine
Expat.com team

Hi!

If you are very good in your work you can get a very good salery. Minimum Nok 35.000 brutto pr month.

For this amount you and your family can live a normal norwegian life.

I got an offer of 500K, Please advice the following:
1. Take home Monthly salary after tax.
2. Total Expenses(Rent + Food + Electricity + Grocerry)
I am ok for a small apartment.
3. School Fees(3 yr kid).
4. Mobile/Internet.

Hi,

Schooling is free in Norway and there are no tuition fees at universities either. This is unless however you want your kid to go to a private school.

The minimum wage and salary in Norway is about 100 kroners an hour which is about 900 rupees or so, and this is for any type of work as long as the person is 18. An educated person would earn more of course but there is not always a big difference, but in IT u should earn quite well.

To rent a flat for 5 people in Oslo will be expensive, around 10 000 Norwegian kroners ( 90,000 rupees) monthly. It will depend where u want to live, but it is likely to cost more.

Ask all the questions u wanna ask!

1: 500 K is a good salary, the income tax rate could be around 1/3 of your salary. When I worked in Norway I earned less so my tax rate was also less.

2: Food/Grocery should be no issue, the prices are decent if you shop and cook at home allthough some items are overpriced in Norway including milk ( Over 2 euro a litre), but vegetables, bread, cornflakes etc should be no issue. Expect your rent to be around 12 000 kroner in Oslo for 5 people monhtly and the electric bill around 700 kroner monthly in winter.

3: School - free

4: Internet - go for Netcom, you can register and you will pay around 150 kroner monhtly (20 euro), and as far as mobile phones are concerned, use Pay as you go to top up , and use SKYPE for international phone calls or the call shops in Grønland where you can make cheap international calls. With a Lebara sim card you can call very cheap abroad.

Hi Priyank,

Good to hear that you have an offer. Congratulations and I hope u settle down well in Norway.

I personally am trying for an IT job in Norway but havent been getting any calls. I have 9 years of IT experience. Can you please guide me as to which agency u applied through? if you are uncomfortable posting here, we can probably talk on gmail if u have a gmail account.

Thanks
Jay

[Moderated]

Hi Priyank,
Can you share your experiences on your living in Oslo ? I intend to move in Feb with my wife. I saw you had the same kind of questions I have now. I got the same kind of offer. can you let me know how much do you get in hand ? I can be reached at [email protected]

Regards,
Prashant

Knut wrote:

[Moderated]

Why was this post moderated?

weird indeed ... could you please send me the content of your post by PM ? (I'll check with the team)

thanks

any help ?

Hello.

Just some input. Yes, school are free, but kids dont attend school until they are 6 years old. So before that is kindergarden and that costs money. (from 1800 kroners to 3000 kroners). Dependt if the child is gonna be there everyday and location).

About the electricity....I have never gotten a elec. bill for 700 kroners. More like 7000 kroners in the wintertime. You get the electricity bill every second month.

I think the food prices is Norway are high. 1 regular bread: 2 - 3 euros. Milk: 2 euro. 1 1\2 liter coca cola 2 euro. 500 grams of chicken: 6 euro or more.

Im from NOrway. Just moved to Holland 6 weeks ago. If you wanna know more about norway, just wright me a private message in here.

BTW: You chould check this link: http://www.norway.no/