Salary negotiation question

Hi Guys,
I am new to this site! I am being offered a sr. software engineer job from a big media house in Oslo. They have not yet negotiated with me yet, but would do it in couple of days (or mostly by tomorrow). I have got 7 years of work experience with web technologies like Java, J2EE and PHP (I know it sounds a bit technical for non techies :D ). Got bachelors degree in engineering as well.

The consultant told me that they would offer you around 55000 euros, which is 405,407.90 NOK per annum, and after deducting the tax..which according to different forums comes aournd like 36% and monthly my take home would be around 21621.75 NOK.

I have few questions which I would like to get some suggestions on:

1. Would that be sufficient for a single guy (rental, food, and a bit of clubbing ;) )?

2. What should be my salary negotiation strategy in terms of Norwegian work culture?

3. How is the IT/Software industry in Norway? what are the future prospects?

4. Any ideas of how to learn Norwegian language, as I am very interested to learn Norwegian.

5. Suggestions on housing accommodation please!

Thanks

Hi happygosoul,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

You may also have a look at other threads on the cost of living Oslo forum

happygosoul wrote:

1. Would that be sufficient for a single guy (rental, food, and a bit of clubbing ;) )?

Yes, it's a decent salary over here

happygosoul wrote:

2. What should be my salary negotiation strategy in terms of Norwegian work culture?

It depends really where you apply, big companies have some pretty rigid scales for salaries, smaller ones are more open for negociation. What is usually taken into account is diploma and years of experiences. Make sure all was well taken into account in your salary calculation. If they don't want to change something on the salary itself you can always try to get things in addition, like paid overtime, a car or a car allowance ...

happygosoul wrote:

3. How is the IT/Software industry in Norway? what are the future prospects?

They seem to constantly look into hiring people so far but it's a niche here compared to oil industry.

happygosoul wrote:

4. Any ideas of how to learn Norwegian language, as I am very interested to learn Norwegian.

The best is to take courses, maybe you can convince your employer to pay for them. Folkuniversitet or similar schools for adult education are the best in my opinion. The classes also allow you to meet other people, which is always nice.

happygosoul wrote:

5. Suggestions on housing accommodation please!

www.finn.no is the best to find places to rent, look where you going to work, which type of area you like as a person (city, countryside ...) and then see what is open for rent.

Thanks Christine!

And Thanks AuNordDuMonde as well!

@AuNordDuMonde
Which sector are you working in?

I don't think you should worry with a paycheck like that.