Cost of living

hello everyone

Plannig to move to norway, couple of questions i hope you can give the right direction.

Tax for norway is 40% , i get to hear diffrent things?
30,000NOK inhand post dedcution of tax, is it suffcient for family with one kid?
Approx Rental cost in Oslo center for moderate house?
i understand the medical is free (dedcuted from tax) what can be avialed as part of free services?

Appreciate you thoughts and suggestions

Hello,

The tax rate is around 36% usually. I think if 30,000 NOK per month is all you have you would struggle to have a family with one child. It might be possible, but I don't think you would have much money left over, or a particularly good quality of life. I think you can also forget having a house. A 2 bedroom apartment about a 30 minute walk from the city centre, in an ok but not great area might cost around 14,000 per month. You may also have electricity, tv and internet to pay on top of that. Food here is very expensive, so by the time you pay the essentials for 3 people, I can't imagine much being left over. You would have to work hard to live cheaply I think.

That's my opinion at least. Perhaps others will have different ideas. I'm not good at cheap living.

Good luck,

David

I think it is not bad either.

Hi David,

Thanks for the response. 30,000NOK is actual in-hand after deducting the taxes.

What do you suggest.

Hello,

That was my understanding. That's about the same as my income after tax. My partner also earns about the same after tax, and we manage to live reasonably well with those two incomes. If it was the two of us plus a child on just my income, I would be concerned. We would have to give up a lot of the things we currently spend money on, particularly the car, going on holiday, going out and nice food. We'd probably also have to move to a 1 bedroom apartment. Oslo is just so expensive that money really doesn't go as far as you would expect if you are used to the cost of living in other countries.

David

Hi David,

For such a kind and warm person like you. I would like to take this opportunity to ask you if you know anyone who requires position in a hotel or restaurant or license agency for job seekers?

I am currently working in Dubai, UAE and wanted to land any legal job in Norway.

Kind Regards,

Aimaran

Hi Aimaran,

I'm afraid I don't know of any vacancies. Have you tried looking on the website www.finn.no. The have listings of vacancies in Norway. The website is in Norwegian, but some of the listings may be in English. Most employers will expect you to speak at least some Norwegian though.

Good luck,

David

Thanks David!

You really are a wonderful person. All the best of luck to you!

Regards!

Aimee

:D Thumbs Up to Dave

Thank you. :)