Expences for a family of four

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and for the beginning I have just one question that's quite important to me.

I'm offered a job in Oslo for a salary that i understand is good, 650 000 NOK.

When I estimate the taxes on that salary, deduct a monthly rent of lets say 14 000 NOK (from what I see know on finn it's from 10000 NOK to 14000 NOK), deduct what I have to pay for the loans I have here and another 2000 NOK for utilities (electricity, phone,...) I'm left with approximately 10 000 NOK a month.

I'm a little bit worried of the other expenses (food, transportation, clothes, ....) in Oslo because of the cost of living there.

My children are small, 1,5 and 3,5 years old. In the beginning the kids will need a accommodation period and my wife will be with them and not working. Later my wife will probably find a job and ....

How does 10 000 NOK a month sound for food, transportation and other things for a family of four?

OK
Tough but possible
Impossible

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum b39!

I hope other members will be able to advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi,

There are many people that lives here with such a salary and they live ok. However, you have to make a choice where you will live. Downtown Oslo may be a little expensive and you will find cheaper rental outside the city. I would say NOK 10K a month should be enough for a family of 4. I am not so sure how it will work as you don't come from the EU but your wife should receive some support from the state if she stays at home and you don't send the kids to the kindergarden. You should check this on NAV.no, this will help you a lot.

AuNordDuMonde thanks for the answer!

That's good news. I had to aks.

I just need to know that we can have a normal start.

A typical monthly bus ticket for a single adult within the Oslo city limits will cost around 550kr a month. This is much cheaper than paying on every time if you use the bus daily.

The original poster writes 10,000 nok/month after expenses like rent, utilities and will have a stay-at-home parent for a period (so not requiring daycare possibly)--NOT 10k a month total for all expenses.

So sorry for my previous incorrect info and thanks for pointing it out, Reviss. I hate when people read too fast and miss the details like I did! (Thus deleted my comment). 650,000 NOK per year for a family of four is enough to live on! ... more than our income for our family of 4 and while we don't live in a mansion, we are happily fed and clothed! :)

Thanks everyone for the answers!

I like the answers and the new possibilities :D

So if everything goes well I'm  coming to Oslo in a couple of months (3-4 months).

Norwegian will not have problem with that salary, and probably wont you either. But its depend on your lifestyle. You cant smoke too much sigaretts and eat in restaurant each day. Alcohol is also expensive.