Moving with a family to Toronto

Hi all

Most information that I find is about people not getting jobs in Toronto.  My husband is busy negotiating a job in Toronto so that is not a problem.

My questions are about living in Toronto in general.

Schools in Toronto, private vs public schools, does is make a difference. 

What is the average salary for a family of 4.
I came across some websites that state that 63 000 a year is avg, how accurate is this number? 

Any hidden expenses like water, electricity, garbage, internet that we need to know. I believe this will be higher during the Winter months.

My husband will be working at the international airport, what residential neighborhood can we look at to live.

We are not sure if we want to relocate our furniture or not, any advice regarding this?
Nothing is final yet but would like to start with some research.
Thanks

Hello Tanjadvdw.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I hope other members will soon give you some informations.

Thank you,
Aurélie

My wife and I were kind of a similar situation except we don't have any kids.  Anyway, what we did was to rent a condo.  Look for condos that are "all-inclusive" with parks near it.  I am a Real Estate Broker from the US and hired a local broker and took care of everything.  Our choice to rent first was precisely so we can learn about neighborhoods and within a year buy...IF price is right!

good luck.  Depending on the neighborhoods the rent will fluctuate.  If husband working at Pearson Int'l airport, even Norhth York may work.  Not far and very accessible via 401. I'm not familiar with Missasauga but Don Mills area did it for us.

good luck

hi tanjadvdw,

if your husband will be working at pearson airport, then a few neighbourhoods would be within close proximity (depending on if you have a car or he'll take public transit): etobicoke, mississauga, brampton or milton are all within close proximity.

here's a map:  http://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.701637,-79 … 6&t=m&z=11

family of four on 63k may be tight but is doable. you can use www.viewit.ca to see rental prices; www.mls.ca to see both resale and rental homes/condos

quality of public schools should be fine for all of the above neighbourhoods too. you can do a search of each areas school board e.g.: peel district school board (serves brampton and mississauga)  peel.edu.on.ca/ or tdsb.on.ca/ (which serves etobicoke)

internet is approx $50 per month; no fee for garbage collection; water and hydro vary (sorry but it's hard to guess as it depends on consumption...perhaps email torontohydro.com and inquire)

and personally, i would not transport your furniture unless you have antiques or an emotional connection to certain pieces. you can buy whatever you need here at local furniture stores.

browsing the local newspapers or city websites will give you an idea of the vibe of each area as well: thestar.com; cbc.ca/toronto/; mississauga.ca/portal/home; brampton.ca/en/pages/welcome.aspx

hope the above helps.

cheers