Extended holiday

Is there a time limit on extended holidays or do the authorities ignore it. Want to come over for 9 months sabbatical.

Hi dave,

welcome to the forum.

As an EU citizen you can stay for up to 3 months in Malta as a tourist/holidaymaker.

After 3 months stay you have to apply for residency. There is no ' extended holiday' -))) You could leave for a few days and come back but a longer stay (over 6 months) also has tax implications. And also make sure that you have health insurance !

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

a longer stay (over 6 months) also has tax implications.

not if it sufficiently straddles 2 tax years :-)

ricky wrote:

And also make sure that you have health insurance !

Cheers
Ricky

Are you a UK citizen ?

Just go for two days to Sicily every three months and you'll be fine in my opinion. :-))

mmm...not leaving the schengen zone is pushing it

George,  I am assuming that the person is a UK Citizen as they are in St Albans, Leaving for a 2 day trip to the Uk would take then out of the schengen zone.

scubaboy wrote:

George,  I am assuming that the person is a UK Citizen as they are in St Albans, Leaving for a 2 day trip to the Uk would take then out of the schengen zone.

Indeed :-)

I've not seen a definitive answer to what is required to maintain tourist status - is merely leaving the country sufficient ? I don't know. If you are resident in France, and visited Spain for 3 months, then stepped over the border to France, and straight away stepped back into Spain, have you renewed your tourist status ? Do you need it to be witnessed ?

Blimy ,want to come over and spend my dosh and the government makes it difficult.,

Hi landy,

sadly the UK did not want to join the Schengen zone! Blame it on yourself .

But as the UK is stll part of the EU no one is probably going to ask questions when you come and go as long as you don't earn money in Malta.

Don't consider this legal advice as it is against the rules but just make sure that you have health insurance for your extended stay.

Cheers
Ricky

Cheers Ricky, that's what I thought. Met a few people whilst over there who seemed to forget to register. Just was worried would get stopped at passport control.
Not thinking of working or earning, just chillin:cool:
Was going home  a couple of times to see kids so would not be a straight 9 months.

Landy,

Enjoy your stay here on the rock, Its certainly Chillaxing :)

Julian

100% agree scoobs - am so laid back now i could be mistaken for living on Gozo!!!!! LOL