Moving to Sydney with family and looking for help

I am relocating to Sydney in a few months with my family and am trying to get as much information as I can before starting this big adventure.
My fiance will be working in Bondi Beach at a restaurant and I am looking for a place to stay within walking distance so that I can walk there daily with our son. I have been looking at real estate sites and have not found anything furnished that is decent and affordable. (The only one that was turned out to be a scam on Craigslist! ha!)

Anyway, I'm not sure if the public transportation system is sufficient enough for us to rent a place out a bit and commute?
Also, is Bondi a nice area to bring a crawling baby who is discovering the world around him?
Is Sydney within walking distance from Bondi?
Are there nice parks around?

Ahhh, the list goes on but these are my most pressing questions at the time.
I would so greatly appreciate anyone that could fill me in the life Down Under!

Hi Venus102,

Congrats on your relocation. I am not living in Sydney but I am sure there are others who will be replying you very soon. I have been to Bondi a couple of times and this is what I think.

Fantastic place to live in, transportation is great, heaps of eatery places and shopping as well. It is, after all one of the most famous beach in Sydney.

Bondi Beach is definately within walking distance from Sydney, in fact, they have a run/walk event held each year. Think its call city to surf.However, it depends on what do you call walking distance. Perhapes 10mins is walking distance to you and 30mins is not. Best way is to go to google maps and put in the 2 places and you will have a good idea how far is it.

As for rentals, most places do not furnish the rentals. You will stand more chances if you are willing to move into unfurnish places. I am sure there are places which will rent furnished, but you might not find it within the timeframe you want and also the suburb you want.

Lastly, crawling babies are definately welcome on the beach, but like I said, Bondi beach is one of the most popular and frequently visited beaches in Sydney, perhapes even Australia, so if you do not mind your kid growing up with alot of social interaction, heaps of sunshine and sand, go for it then!

Hope this helps :)
Jo
http://whatsupjo.blogspot.com

Thank you so much for your reply! I am starting to think that finding something furnished isn't likely as you said. So I guess the next best thing is IKEA until our stuff arrives via container on a ship. ha! I am glad to hear that the transportation is great and am going to google earth now to see how far Sydney is from Bondi! Thanks again!
Oh and by the way, do you recommend any areas that are good to settle and buy a house there?

Hi Venus102,

I am in the same boat as you.  We (wife and 15 month child) are moving in Feb 2010 and I have a job in Richmond in Sydney and looking for everything like yourself.  It maybe a good ides to extablish contact via email poerhaps and we can share info until we depart and hook up in Sydney?

Let me know your thoughts  :)

Regards,

Birju

Hi galenjack,

Please note that this topic is from 2009.

Please feel free to share your experiences and to participate on the Sydney forum. :)

Regards,

David.