Moving to Ireland

:)My husband and I are hoping to move to Ireland in 2010.  We are a ware that the economy is not very good at the moment but that is not putting us off as it is the same all over the world at the moment. What we would like to know are the following:

Tax - What tax relief can we claim. If my husband does not work.

Employment as Registered Nurse - Will I be able to get employment. I am educated to MSc level.

Buying property - We want to live in the rural area's 1/2 acre plus of land, Roscommon, Galway, Longford not in a town or city.

Electric, water and Gas - what is the average cost per year for these.

Food prices -  Bread, milk, butter extra

Car tax and insurance - what sort of price and do they accept no claims bonus's from abroad.

If anyone can send me this information we will be very grateful.

Kind regards,
Bernie:)

Bernadette,

where are you moving from.

There is no tax relief as such is you are not working, you would have to register to the doil (employment agency), you may be getting some money but not a lot.

You may be able to get some work as a nurse, I suggest you start looking for jobs before you move, here is a site to start from:http://www.irishjobs.ie/
And you can also talk to the Irish Embassy in the country you originate from/

Water is free(for the momment), gaz and electricity not too expencive.

Living in Rural area (I do) is great, but because of work you may have to settle for a town.IT is also the best time to buy here,as prices have come down a lot.

The Galway area is great.

Do you have kids ? ( I found education great here)

Difficult to get your no claim bonus from abroad, I managed to get mine 15 years ago (coming from France).

cost of living is cheaper than it use to be, but again it depends where you shop.

I'll be honest with you, this is not the best period to come living in Ireland, a lot of foreigners are living along with Irish peoples tempting once again to find jobs outside the country.

Hope this helps

Gilles

Hi Bernadette,

There is a very nice website which might help you to get oriented about the utilities: http://sites.google.com/site/movingtodublin/utilities

I hope this would help a bit

Laura

Many years ago, I lived in london,but I really hate this town too many people.I stayed there 2 weeks and I came back at home.I don't know dublin????

I am looking to move from the USA in 2011. I have done some research, from what i can tell Galway is about the least expensive place to move. am i correct? i would also like to know abou the cost of living. renting a 2 or 3 bdrm cottage or apartment, grocerys,auto gas, etc...