Moving to Ireland from the US with neurological disorders

Hi everyone,

A little background: I'm an undiagnosed Autistic/ADHD minority individual living in the US. I identify as a few letters from the LGBTQ+ community. For job experience, I'm currently a real estate facilities maintenance technician with 3+ years of experience in the field, and I've previously worked in multiple production and warehouse facilities performing various positions.

I've been saying for years that I want to move abroad to a country with better quality of life than the US, and I'm gathering research on multiple different countries that I'm interested in. I am putting off getting any formal diagnoses until after doing all my research on international immigration options. So far, in my research, I've noted a lot of different online forums for various countries where diagnosed neurodivergent people state they don't get very good social treatment or job options based on uneducated prejudice. Hence my uneasiness on getting a formal diagnoses until I know for sure that it might not hinder my application process. I am what would be considered "high masking" in a social environment, but with therapy and "being myself" over the past few years there are some social skills that I just don't have the mental energy to try and fit in with anymore. I.E: not having "RBF" all the time at work or when I'm not interested in engaging in a conversation with someone.

My questions are:

Is Ireland a good country for neurodivergent expats?

How hard is it to get a skilled/in demand career position for a person with a disability on their job application?

Are noted neurodivergent people treated the same in the workplace, and in a social setting?

Would I be able to get talk therapy, medical care, etc as needed (on a regular basis like any other neurotypical) without judgement based only on my medical charts, and not on me as a functioning person?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I must admit to knowing nothing about your condition, I suspect that you won't get much information here.  However, a quick look on social media revealed a Facebook group that may provide you with some knowledgeable opinions; this link will take you straight to it.  My advice would be to start there and see how you get on.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team