Considering a vacation home near Punta Cana

My husband and I are seriously considering purchasing a vacation home near Punta Cana in the Cap Cana gated community.  I visited this spectaclar property last month and fell in love.  We love travelling to the Dominican Republic but have never really ventured far from the resorts we have stayed at (mostly in the Bavaro area).  My question is - how safe is the island when travelling on our own outside of the Cap Cana area? If we're coming for a couple of months at a time we would like to be able to rent/purchase a car and travel around on our own.  I would appreciate any feedback with your experiences!

Gracias!
Nanci:)

Hi Nanci and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that other members will share their experience with you soon.;)

In the meantime, do not hesitate to browse through the forum. It may help you.

Harmonie.

Beachlover welcom,

Before you settle on the PC area you need to explore the country some.  PC is a beautiful vacation spot but living there is totally different.  It is a touris destination and does not offer much in the way of a "community" feel.  Other then the things geared to the tourist there is not much else. There are no major cities, shopping, etc around.

You might want to look at the north coast as well. Here we have a huge expat community and a good mix of tourist, local Dominican and Expats. 

As to the safety issue if you use your head, take normal precautions, are not flashy you should do fine.

It sounds like you have not spent much time off the resorts.  It is a different world off the resort and you need to do some exploring.

We many times suggest to our clients that they rent before they buy and maybe rent a couple of times in different areas.

Hope this helps more then confuses.

Bob K

Thanks Bob.  What areas on the north coast would you suggest.  We are looking for a gated community with golf on site or close by.  I agree, we should probably rent for a month in different area to get a feel for the island.  It's also important to find a place not too far from the area airport.  I truly appreciate your help and guidance!

Nanci
aka Beachlover

What price range for purchase and how big for rental? this will help me get you some answers.
I also sent you a PM.

Bob

I am a new member and was also interested in PC before I read Bob's post.  I am looking for somewhere on the beach, inexpensive with a little nightlife.

Suggestions?

Hi,i am Katrin and live on the peninsula of Samana in a small town called Las Terrenas.That is on the north coast and has very beautiful beaches.Here we are very multi-cultural what i love.
Punta Cana has nice beaches but there are only resorts nothing like a real town.Here you have Dominicans together with expatriats from all countries.I live here for 14 years now and i still love it.Before you make a decision about Punta Cana you should come here.

Look at Juan Dolio 20 minutes from airport 40 minutes from the capital and on the Caribbean side beautiful beaches very tranquil and very safe........