Considering a move to PNG...please advise

Hi Guys,

I am an accountant currently living in Qatar working for a Big-Four accountancy firm. I have been offered a job in PNG with AUD 60,000 per annum, paid accomodation and lots of other significant benefits. Just wanted to check with you guys if it would be worth moving there with my wife? I know a lot of cities are targets of bad press...could we say the same about Port Moresby? I would be glad if people can share their experiences and tell me a little bit about the country.

Cheers!

I have been in POM for 3 months and life is not too bad but quite boring after work. I don't think that POM is not as dangerous as I thought before I came here.  It depends on your family but if your wife does not have a job in POM, it may be quite boring every day. There are not many places to visit in POM every day while you are working in the office during the day. Also you need a car for wife to drive around.

Paid accomodation, car, holiday leave, medical cover etc are very comman.

Hi Henry,

Thanks for your response. How easy is it to buy a car in POM? My employer has not offered a car. Should I negotiate for it??

It should be easy to buy a car in POM. New or second hand. Without a car you won't be able to go anywhere but a company sometimes offer 24h on call driver.

Life can be boring here but all depends on what you are looking for from PNG.

Thanks Henry. Do you think AUD 60,000 is a good salary by expat standards?

depends on your experience and skill. Is that after tax or before tax ?

Its before tax.

Taxrate can be very high.nearly 40%

Yeah I was aware of that. Anyway thanks for the info Henry.

Hi. I am currently looking into working in PNG and have a couple of jobs apps on the go. I should find out this week if I am successful. With the tax, I am hearing that tax ranges from 32-40%...is that right? Is it dependant on the salary? If so, what are the ranges? I have a couple of jobs with high income potential, but to be taxed at 40% hardly makes it worth while. I will be coming as a single guy to start and leaving my family in NZ, so basically will be funding both households, albeit, every thing is covered with my contract bar food and drink.
Any heads up on tax ranges would help so I can do some maths and see if its worth while.

Thanks

Gaz

http://www.irc.gov.pg/income_tax_02.html

Annual gross salary exceeding K250,000 is taxed at 42%.

As Henry mentioned, your tax can go as high as 42% but the tax system is progressive. Your first PGK 250,000 will incur a tax of around 91,800. Look for the PwC tax publication on google.

How does a 100,000 PGK/month (net) sounds?