Young gay couple possibly moving to PNG from Australia

Hey Guys,
My partner and I are possibly looking top move to PNG shortly depending on him getting the job he's going for.
He's in Marketing and I'm a graphic Designer.
We'd be living in an expat community and wondering if it is safe within expat communities as a gay couple?
We realise that it is technically illegal to be homosexual, and in public areas we wouldn't stand out - however I'm wondering how it is likely to be accepted within the expat community as we would move there not knowing anyone and would be looking to make friends in the area.

Appreciate any feedback,
Cheers!

Hey aus_designer,

There is a very large expat community, with the majority being as friendly and welcoming as you would expect. I do know a gay couple who are based in Port Moresby (is that where you are looking?). They have been here about 2 years and quite enjoy it. I'm sure there is others (I'm relatively new myself so still meeting people) but I can't imagine your sexuality causing issues within the expat community. As you said, public areas will be different, but otherwise I think it shouldn't be an issue.

There r gay people there and it didn't mater about your privet life . The owner of ela beach hotel is and he is very successful. So don't be afraid. In the high lands there are plenty of gay men. And in port moresby there are plenty of lesbian couples. Just like any were els in any contrary. Just injoy the experience the country has to offer u

Hi,
There is no major issues unless you publicly show it. There are a lot of lesbian and gay couples both PNG and expats. Generally illiterate people will be an issue (insult depending on cultural understandings) but a lot of people mind their own business.
Welcome to PNG......