Safety and Security for foreigners in Papua New Guinea

Just to share what I knew and experienced in Papua New Guinea.

Papua New Guinea is a Christian country and Papua New Guinean are Christian. You could find so many Christian Churches anywhere but there are so many unchristian people everywhere, they are always on the watch to find a chance to rob, to assault etc.

They are good people but there are so many bad within the group of the good people. Raskals are the thieves that often attack anyone in Papua New Guinea. Raskals will not only attack the foreigners but also the PNG citizens as well.  Most of the raskals are influenced  and leaded by the highlander criminals or gangs who are originated from Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. Do not be deceive with their looks.. They are mostly tall and good looking black people with very well crafted faces. Though there are so many good people from highlands province but most of the suspects of the crimes in Papua New Guinea are highlanders ( rape, robbery, etc).

I was assaulted actually by two big and tall highlanders they were security guards of the ESS, one of  the known security Agency in Papua New Guinea. They were riding a white land cruiser with name ESS Security Agency when they saw me driving my car then  they tailed me and signed me to stop. I dunno if those guys are still employed in ESS now.  I was like a dwarf compared to them when they attacked me. They were demanding for money so after such experienced I really tried to avoid .......

Safety and security is among the most challenging issue if you will stay any place within Papua New Guinea.

If you got an offer to work in Papua New Guinea, my advise is think about it more than a hundred or thousand times if you really need a job and accept the offer or if  really want to come to Papua New Guinea and risk your life. As of today ( 17 October 2021) Papua New Guinea is still the same...

Money / Salary could not compensate your safety and security in Papua New Guinea.

There are so many jobless also in Papua new Guinea so if you got a job offer better give it to the Papua New Guinean .. anyway they already used to the security issue in their PNG. At least the raskal attack is a bit lesser to their fellow compared to the foreigners.

Hi, would like to ask if you are still in PNG? And when did come in PNG? How many years is your contract? I was offered to work at CHM Group as a Retail Store Manager. Is it really safe there? Please advise. Thank you.

Absolutely false in

Png is safe as

there are places in Sydney Australia that even police won't go

there are places and things you don't do in Png

I have my family here in Port Moresby and have never felt threatened ever!

we go camping out of the city regularly

ride motorcycles in the jungles and visit random villages regularly

Papua New Guinea people are lovely people and beautiful place

just learn what not to do and where not to go

I will share some incidents and words of advice.

1) i went to waterfront market with hotel driver and i said oh this is walking distance. He said avoid walking and specially walking alone. Some one may try to take advantage of you.

2) Yesterday i went to get a bite and by the time i returned it was dark. A local lady in the lift said please avoid going alone in the dark.

3) However i do venture out but in day time and in crowded place and not to far away. A westerner who has been living here for many years said basically locals when they get drunk try to mug you so i avoid a path where there is a bar.

4) Our driver is like the smorton, he keeps saying it is safe, people are trying to spread rumours about the country. However the same driver this saturday took us on a tour of port moresby, and there were places where he himself said close the windows, dont worry you are with me, nothing will happen etc1f600.svg

5) Few days ago an expat was shot and killed. Seems he had gone to bank so that may have been cause of the attack

6) Most of the hotels and residential  complexes say please pay online, we dont accept cash. A building in front of us has the sign "we dont have cash".

7) However a large number of expats live here. one lady lives alone and came to PNG 23 years ago. She doesnt want to go back and hasnt had any issues, however she did say that in the past she would walk around the neighborhood but recently she has stopped doing that because there is some anti sentiments towards expats.

Personally i havent had any incident, people have been extremely friendly, full of advice, so if you are careful you can stay without any issues

It is regrettable that I have to recount this incident, which occurred in August 2022. I was driving through the downtown Market of Lae, Morobe province, around 3:30 PM, when I found myself following an open truck loaded with boxes of a famous noodle brand in Papua New Guinea. As the truck needed to make a right turn, the driver reduced the speed. Suddenly, individuals from the market rushed towards the slow-moving truck and brazenly stole the boxes right in front of everyone's eyes. Witnessing such an act has deeply traumatized me.

Prior to this incident, I had always wanted to believe that cases like these were mere hearsay. I had purposely turned a blind eye and convinced myself that Papua New Guinea was a safe place. However, this experience shattered my illusions, and the fear I felt during that incident continues to haunt me.

I would like to share another incident that occurred in July 2022, involving a friend of a friend who had only been in Papua New Guinea for six months at the time. The expat individual was driving and had reached the front of the store where they worked. Naturally, they came to a stop to prepare to disembark. However, their peaceful moment was abruptly interrupted when a PNG man armed with a gun forcefully smashed the car door open. He shouted at the expat to exit the vehicle and demanded everything they had, including their phone, money, and any other valuable belongings. The security guard of their store, along with the customers and the expat's colleagues, were helpless bystanders, unable to intervene due to the armed nature of the assailant. Reluctantly, the expat had no choice but to open the car and surrender their wallet and two cellphones.

This incident left a lasting impact on me, and as a result, I have learned to take precautions in Papua New Guinea. I then leave my wallet hidden at home, concealed under the trash bin, or wrapped in plastic and put under the big flower pot, as there are frequent break-ins where thieves will steal anything they can find inside houses. I only carry a small amount of cash, usually between 10 to 50 kina, for necessary purchases. I also bring along a basic, old cellphone while keeping my smartphone hidden in a discreet corner at home. This way, in the unfortunate event of a break-in, it would be more difficult for the thieves to locate my valuable possessions.

Living in Papua New Guinea is often characterized by a sense of fear that pervades everyday life. However, it is worth noting that some expats in PNG have adapted to these circumstances. If their phone is stolen, they simply buy a new one. If they are robbed, they comply with the demands and strive to live a seemingly normal life, despite the underlying fear that persists.

@ghenluvspink08 Not safe. Better find a job in your own country or find opportunities in the other country. Give that job to the PNG nationals because the unemployment rate in PNG is too high.

@prince_denison so you leave and give up your job for a national. This country is what you make it. There are issues yes but you take the necessary precautions. The same precautions you take wherever you are in the world. You obviously dislike PNG and are here for the money ...****

Moderated by Bhavna 10 months ago
Reason : Not constructive
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct