Getting married in Egypt

The number listed in their website is +20227916000

PHONE    LOCAL: (02) 2791.6000
INTERNATIONAL: +20.2.2791.6000

Donna88 wrote:

Anyone have the number for the British embassy in Cairo one I'm calling says its not recognised for some reason

opening hours for Consular Section
The public counter opening hours for the Consular Section are from Sunday to Thursday 10:00 hrs to 13:00 hrs, except embassy holidays. The counter will be open from 13:00 to 14:00 for passport collections only. The Consular Team will be available to answer telephone enquiries from Sunday to Thursday, 09:00hrs to 14:00hrs.

Just got that from their website so they will be closed now anyway

That be why I can't get through then haha thanks

U can find it if u go online,,UK BOARDER AGENCY,,,u will find all the details.Good luck.

So I asked this question before but now I'm a little worried.

I know I have to get the tourist residency visa at the Mogamma before we go to the Ministry of Justice and MoFA. But I intend to travel to Egypt on a tourist visa and immediately begin the process, thus I would not be there for a minimum period of time to establish any residency.

While I know that a member on here said that there was no minimum time required to establish it, a friend of mine went through the process of marrying her fiance in a church (obviously, not an official marriage) just so it sat well with her fiance's family.
I guess they had some issues on her getting that tourist residency visa too and the marriage process seemed rushed and illegitimate or something. I dunno.

I'm just afraid it will look strange that there's not a huge turn around before I arrive and get married (like, a matter of days).

Smelserjl wrote:

So I asked this question before but now I'm a little worried.

I know I have to get the tourist residency visa at the Mogamma before we go to the Ministry of Justice and MoFA. But I intend to travel to Egypt on a tourist visa and immediately begin the process, thus I would not be there for a minimum period of time to establish any residency.

While I know that a member on here said that there was no minimum time required to establish it, a friend of mine went through the process of marrying her fiance in a church (obviously, not an official marriage) just so it sat well with her fiance's family.
I guess they had some issues on her getting that tourist residency visa too and the marriage process seemed rushed and illegitimate or something. I dunno.

I'm just afraid it will look strange that there's not a huge turn around before I arrive and get married (like, a matter of days).

Tourist resident visa is just a formality. A stamp that takes five minutes, zero money and zero documents to get.

No need to establish residency or anything.

What is your friend's nationality? For some nationalities it's complicated actually.

But my question at the end of it is - if you are only coming for a 'few days', 'fast turnaround' to get married - then go back to your own countries -  why the hell are you doing it (getting married) at all?

You can't wait until you move here - because he sure as hell isn't going to able to come to stay in your own countries easily at all?

He is pushing for a fast marriage - if he is - then just don't so it because he has ulterior motives.

Are you absolutely he isn't married already to some Egyptian girl?

If he is young - and you are a bit older ( maybe you have had your kids already) - then  be almost 100% sure that at some point he WILL marry an Egyptian girl his own age / younger to have children - with or without your consent.

I am sorry to eb so negative - but after what I have seen and persoanlly witnessed (both here and in the UK) during the 15 years of my Marriage I am not wrong!!
There are some marriages of Egyptian men / foriegn lady marriages that work - but they didn't start out like any of the above - and they are few and far between.
If any thing - especially marriage is started like this then it can't be a good omen for the future.
read the posts on here and other forums of the ladies who are in very bad positions because of this.
The old saying is very true - 'marry in haste, repent at leisure'.
Also - and I hate to say this you need to make sure that honesty is also present - and having met his mother is not a seal of approval (maybe he has told her you have money and he will absolutley marry a young EGyptian girl in the future' - and if you don't speak any ARabic you can never be sure of what he has told people - or 100% sure that what he has translated for you is correst.

biffy wrote:

But my question at the end of it is - if you are only coming for a 'few days', 'fast turnaround' to get married - then go back to your own countries -  why the hell are you doing it (getting married) at all?

You can't wait until you move here - because he sure as hell isn't going to able to come to stay in your own countries easily at all?

He is pushing for a fast marriage - if he is - then just don't so it because he has ulterior motives.

Are you absolutely he isn't married already to some Egyptian girl?

If he is young - and you are a bit older ( maybe you have had your kids already) - then  be almost 100% sure that at some point he WILL marry an Egyptian girl his own age / younger to have children - with or without your consent.

I am sorry to eb so negative - but after what I have seen and persoanlly witnessed (both here and in the UK) during the 15 years of my Marriage I am not wrong!!
There are some marriages of Egyptian men / foriegn lady marriages that work - but they didn't start out like any of the above - and they are few and far between.
If any thing - especially marriage is started like this then it can't be a good omen for the future.
read the posts on here and other forums of the ladies who are in very bad positions because of this.
The old saying is very true - 'marry in haste, repent at leisure'.
Also - and I hate to say this you need to make sure that honesty is also present - and having met his mother is not a seal of approval (maybe he has told her you have money and he will absolutley marry a young EGyptian girl in the future' - and if you don't speak any ARabic you can never be sure of what he has told people - or 100% sure that what he has translated for you is correst.

I do not agree with your generalizations .......Full stop.

Hi all,

Please note that some posts have been moved from the thread.

Thanks
Armand

they are not generalisations - they are my own ACTUAL experiences - so whether you agree with them or not - doesn't make them any less real - or not to have happened!!

biffy wrote:

they are not generalisations - they are my own ACTUAL experiences - so whether you agree with them or not - doesn't make them any less real - or not to have happened!!

There is no contradiction between them being your own actual experiences, and generalization.

At no point in my reply I doubted your experiences or anything .... However applying the few experiences with a few Egyptian men to the MILLIONS of Egyptians is not true and not fair.

for me getting married in Egypt is big mistake

No-one is trying to tag ALL Egyptian men with the same mentality.

But the men most foriegn ladies meet in Sharm / the red sea resorts / online - are these type of men.
There are many many threads on here started by them looking for foreign women - and I doubt there is one foreign / expat female on this forum that hasn't been bothered by them - all young men looking for a certain type of foreign lady who will marry them - work, give them money and maybe if they are lucky take them out of the country.  And the age of these ladies doesn't matter, the families accept it because there will be more money in the pot - and their son can marry a nice Egyptian girl (with / without the consent of these foreign wives - to have the babies) - and it means that the son will be home sometimes to see their kids)

Like I said I am not generalising - and I never said I was - but the profile does meet a certain section of the young men in this country (and other ountries around this region).

ANd that fact cannot be ignored or denied!

And I am sure that there are many ladies out there who can confirm this very well.

You are right Biffy.. I know one two this is happening to as we speak

Don't we all Sandra.

I just find that alot of the enquiries from the ladies on here seem to meet the above profiles.
Why would anyone just want to fly in for 1 week get married then go straight back to their home country - I just don't understand it.

Most wont listen to any advice offered.. Albeit good honest truthful advice.   Unfortunately,  it will be a hard and sad lesson learned.

I am now living in Hurghada... And I can say the same wont be happening to me.

I hope not.

But sometimes I read these threads and it makes very depressing reading.

It's a worry Biffy

Ladies. This is not the Egyptian men bashing thread.

Lol

sandrasmith wrote:

Lol

I fail to see what is funny..... Anyways I am glad I made you laugh .....

I will try to be as neutral and objective as much as possible here.

This applies to any country, nationality or race.

If you mingle with the wrong crowd, do not expect to meet Mr./Ms. Right.

There are lots of educated Egyptians who are smart, open-minded, gentle, and dedicated family men.

There are lots of marriages between Egyptian men and foreign women where - to your surprise - the husband is not seeking immigration, the husband is the breadwinner who is dutifully supporting the family just as any real man should, the husband is not polygamist/polyamorous,  and it is perfectly working out like any marriage in the world would.
I am not saying that there aren't the Gigolo types mainly found around tourist destinations. But again, you are generalizing.

And no, I am not burying my head in the sand or denying there are as well many marriages of convenience that are simply for money, immigration or anything, but this is not the general rule.

If someone you know allowed themselves to be prey to those opportunist bastards, they are in part to blame for letting such men exploit them, and yes those men are the culprits and are the ones that carry the lion's share of blame, but, no one will use you unless you let them do so.

There are 90 Million Egyptians, assuming half are males, and assuming that roughly half of which are adults , there are at least 20 million Egyptian men.

If you are that narrow-minded to see that the few thousands those who try to "woo" the "older" ladies in Red Sea resorts represent all Egyptian men, let me tell you it is equally unfair to say that - for instance - all the Dutch are potheads (since it's legal in the Netherlands), most American women are promiscuous and/or prostitutes (if someone visits only Vegas !), or that all the British are thugs (judging by the Hooligans attitude in Football games).

Of course I do NOT believe in those abject generalizations. I am just using them to draw your attention to the similarity in the situation.

lol

its not a bashing forum anyway not for Egyptian men nor for others

The Egyptian - get off your horse - No-one was bashing men.

Just it seems I have touched a nerve!!?
And no I am not generalising.  I am talking eactly about a certain segment / profile of people.

You have no need to feel responsible for these people, and no-one said you were one of them.

And FYI really - I am married to an EGyptian (whom I did not meet in a sharm / red sea resort FYI again).
I met him outside Egypt and we have been married 15 years and have a happy family. He is intelligent, educated and open minded.

But he has seen with me the s*** as per my posts above, and absolutely wouldn't defend them like you do.  He has seen with his own eyes exactly what goes on- both sides here and in EGypt!

No-one disagrees that there are a******* in all societies - but what I have described previously is a particular problem in this region.

You know it, I know it - and many other people know it - but the ladies with the stars in her eyes doesn't recognise it yet!!

Here here!!!

Where in my reply did I defend those "s***"? You either did not read my reply, or did not understand it.

I said YES there are men like what you have described, but NO they are not the majority. This is all I have said.

and NO, you have not touched a nerve. I am not one of those "s***". I have a job, and in no way I will ever ask my wife to give me a dime or even to help with the bills ! Call me sexist, but I believe in classic gender roles !

Over and out.

Classic gender roles of course do vary from society to society.!

Oh and by the way - you want football hooligans (nee thugs) then you haven't watched any European / world (or EGyptian )football for a while!

biffy wrote:

Classic gender roles of course do vary from society to society.!

Oh and by the way - you want football hooligans (nee thugs) then you haven't watched any European / world (or EGyptian )football for a while!

I am not a football fan anyways. I just used the example to make a point that generalizing for a whole country based on the attitude of a small group is wrong.

Hi all,

Some posts are really getting off topic now.
I would suggest you to get back to the subject or we shall moderate.
If you want to discuss about other subjects, feel free to start a new thread.

Thanks
Armand

[moderated: off topic]

Hi All,

I'm trying to get some additional information on getting married in Egypt. I am Australian, my fiance is Egyptian.  We live in Hurghada.

Does anyone know, do the 2 men that have to attend the signing of the marriage contract, actually need to know you?  Are we therefore looking at asking 2 male friends to accompany us from Hurghada to Cairo?

Can someone tell me how long the process takes ?  The Australian Embassy has already told us they need 2 days to issue the same certificate I had issued in Australia in 10 mins!
How long does the Egyptian part of the process take?  Can we have medical tests and sign the marriage contract the same day?  Do we need to wait a week after signing the marriage contract to collect it?

Thanks,

Angela

AngelaBut wrote:

Hi All,

I'm trying to get some additional information on getting married in Egypt. I am Australian, my fiance is Egyptian.  We live in Hurghada.

Does anyone know, do the 2 men that have to attend the signing of the marriage contract, actually need to know you?  Are we therefore looking at asking 2 male friends to accompany us from Hurghada to Cairo?

Can someone tell me how long the process takes ?  The Australian Embassy has already told us they need 2 days to issue the same certificate I had issued in Australia in 10 mins!
How long does the Egyptian part of the process take?  Can we have medical tests and sign the marriage contract the same day?  Do we need to wait a week after signing the marriage contract to collect it?

Thanks,

Angela

1- no the 2 witnesses need not be acquaintances.

2- You can do the medical tests in any public hospital in Hurghada

3- You will need to to stamp the certificate you received from Australian embassy from the Egyptian MoFA, get touristic residence stamp (unless you already have a residence visa, and you can get the stamp while the Australian embassy prepares the document), Family fund stamp from any post office, the rest is easy (photocopies of documents and personal photos ...etc.).

Process will be done same day, but you will pick up the marriage certificate a week later.

Thanks for the extra info. 
Do you know if they issue a "temporary" marriage certificate or paperwork until the real one is issued?

We are not from Cairo and are traveling there specifically to be married since we can't marry in Hurghada.  If we don't have anything that says we are married, then we can't stay in a hotel and wait the week it takes for the marriage certificate to be issued.
I don't suppose they would post it to us either.

Thanks,
Angela

AngelaBut wrote:

Thanks for the extra info. 
Do you know if they issue a "temporary" marriage certificate or paperwork until the real one is issued?

We are not from Cairo and are traveling there specifically to be married since we can't marry in Hurghada.  If we don't have anything that says we are married, then we can't stay in a hotel and wait the week it takes for the marriage certificate to be issued.
I don't suppose they would post it to us either.

Thanks,
Angela

No they don't issue temp certificates.

They won't mail it, but ur fiancee can give a proxy to a friend/relative in Cairo to receive it then courier it to you. DO NOT use Post. It's unreliable, use a courier service such as Aramex.

Thanks.  Looks like we'll be flying up to Cairo to get married and flying back to pick up the official paperwork !

Really appreciate the excellent information since the Foreign Marriage Office or the Ministry of Justice don't answer their phones !

who got married in egypt

Hi guys,
I know this question has been asked but as previous people have asked this is all so confusing.  I am an English Christian planning to marry my egyptian muslim partner at the end of october. We have both read lots of conflicting web sites thatt say you do and then others that say you dont need things.
Starting to panic now as its getting very close.
What exactly do I need?
A certificate of non impediment? How do I even start to go about getting one? And what does it involve?
I have to prove my religeon? How? I have been christened but nothing proves it.
HELP!!!

Any responses are massively appreciated

nice conversation