Getting married in Egypt

Hello folks,
I know that this has been asked before, but I am after some up-to-date information about getting married please.
I am English and my fiancée is Egyptian. We are planing to get married in October (troubles permitting), but the paperwork needed is a minefield.   
I have checked the UK Boarders web site but that just seems to cover the immigration side of things (obviously) - so basically, where do I begin to look please? Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. x

chuckle_butty wrote:

Hello folks,
I know that this has been asked before, but I am after some up-to-date information about getting married please.
I am English and my fiancée is Egyptian. We are planing to get married in October (troubles permitting), but the paperwork needed is a minefield.   
I have checked the UK Boarders web site but that just seems to cover the immigration side of things (obviously) - so basically, where do I begin to look please? Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. x

getting married in Egypt or UK? if in Egypt, the post has everything you need.

In Egypt. Thank you. I was worrying that is wasn't up to date.

hi all
my fiancee is english and i want to know if the copy of the passport and the  birth certificate  is just a normal copy or where to get it  someone told me   she has  to call the home office there to get it
thanks

sammostafa wrote:

hi all
my fiancee is english and i want to know if the copy of the passport and the  birth certificate  is just a normal copy or where to get it  someone told me   she has  to call the home office there to get it
thanks

??? I did not understand your question

i am going to marry my english  fiancee we have been informed that she need copy of a passport  from the home office ! this is confusing us , is it just photo copy of her passport or a copy from the passport office ? and is there anymore  information of what she needs to bring with her from england ? because we dont want to waist any time and she will  stay here one month

thank you

Just a photocopy and you need to show the original,,pls check on the site of UK BOARDER AGENCY,,,even here you will find very useful information...please read.

is there a free website that i look up a marriage cert on a couple who got married in cairo alexander....not sure of the year..his name....borg....her name chaoul.....any help would be great thanks

ian halsey wrote:

is there a free website that i look up a marriage cert on a couple who got married in cairo alexander....not sure of the year..his name....borg....her name chaoul.....any help would be great thanks

There isn't, free or paid .......

thanks anyway..

my fiance is an Egyptian and I am Indonesian we are both Muslim.

do i need to have a 6-months (or more) non-touristic residence visa for getting married ?

please assist me to get some information about getting married in Egypt as we are both expat working in Dubai.

I really appreciate if some one can assist me with this.

Yes you do

Wait, do u both live in Dubai?

thank you for the replied.

yes we are both living and working in Dubai. however my fiance require all the thing to be done in Egypt and do not want to get married in UAE as he needs to be closed with all his family when the wedding comes.

is the any change that tourist visa will be applicable for me to getting married in Egypt ?

thank you

lesmana wrote:

thank you for the replied.

yes we are both living and working in Dubai. however my fiance require all the thing to be done in Egypt and do not want to get married in UAE as he needs to be closed with all his family when the wedding comes.

is the any change that tourist visa will be applicable for me to getting married in Egypt ?

thank you

Unfortunately, I would not recommend doing this.

If you can send me your fiance's mobile number via PM I can explain it to him in more details

All Indonesian females require a 6-month non-touristic residence visa in order to be married in Egypt.

Option A would be to get married at the Egyptian Consulate in Umm Hurair, Dubai.

Option B would be to get married at the Emirati Court House in Deira, Dubai.

Option C, is to give power of attorney to someone in Egypt to marry you to him, and get married in Egypt in absentia. This needs LOTS of work (going to courthouse in Dubai, then attesting the power of attorney in Emirati Ministry of Foreign Affairs, then Egyptian Consulate in Dubai).

Option D, is to go to Egypt, get married (Urfi, common law), use Urfi to apply for a non-touristic residence visa (which will take - in normal circumstances, no less than 4 weeks. In current situation in Egypt could take 2-3 months), then get Legally Married using it.

You can still have a wedding party in Egypt after either of options A and B, and you can enter the country visa-free by showing your original marriage certificate, as wives of Egyptians do not need a visa provided holding the original document.

For both Options C and D, you'd need an entry visa from the Egyptian consulate in Dubai prior to arrival, as Indonesians can NOT get visa upon arrival.

its not easy i suppose

dear brother can i ask a question regarding divorce? if u know
i got married in egypt with indian guy and now we want divorce i have one kid, do u know the procedure plz? and i was on his sponsor in uae what will happen then...thx plz reply me asap

dear brother can i ask a question regarding divorce? if u know?
i got married in egypt with indian guy and now we want divorce i am in egypt and he is in uae, i have one kid, do u know the procedure plz? and i was on his sponsor in uae what will happen then...thx plz reply me asap

Are you in Egypt or UAE?

Can someone explain to me what's involved with these "medical tests" that have to be undertaken in order to be married ?  The Foreign Marriage Office in Cairo told my fiance that we both have to have this done, but failed to explain what the "test" is for.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am Australian and my fiance is Egyptian.  We live in Hurghada, so it is a big effort for us to go to Cairo.  We want to make sure we have all the correct information before we go.

Also, if anyone knows, do the 2 men that have to attend the signing of the marriage contract, actually need to know you?  Are we therefore looking at asking 2 male friends to accompany us from Hurghada to Cairo?

Thanks,
Angela

AngelaBut wrote:

Can someone explain to me what's involved with these "medical tests" that have to be undertaken in order to be married ?  The Foreign Marriage Office in Cairo told my fiance that we both have to have this done, but failed to explain what the "test" is for.

Thanks,
Angela

What "should" happen, is :

urine analysis, blood test for both
Ultrasound for the woman
Semen analysis for the man

What "does" happen is :

You both sign, give your fingerprints and take the certificate :D

Thank you for the clarification.  Typical Egypt.  Everyone's in it for a $$$ or 2.
I feel much more relived knowing that there really is no tests.  I was imagining all sorts of things!

Thanks a lot.

Angela

AngelaBut wrote:

Thank you for the clarification.  Typical Egypt.  Everyone's in it for a $$$ or 2.
I feel much more relived knowing that there really is no tests.  I was imagining all sorts of things!

Thanks a lot.

Angela

No...... No brain probes or polygraph tests :D

i am in egypt now since 2 months, can u just explain 4 me the procedure and how to ask for expenses 4 the child too? i would be thankful

Hello

I am currently engaged to an Egyptain man and am planning on getting married in Cairo could anyone tell me how much money I will need for the whole process papers stamps etc.

Donna88 wrote:

Hello

I am currently engaged to an Egyptain man and am planning on getting married in Cairo could anyone tell me how much money I will need for the whole process papers stamps etc.

You need to contact your embassy in Egypt to know how much they charge for the no-objection certificate.

Other than that it's nothing much. 11 EGP for MOFA Attestation, 50 EGP for Family Fund stamp, <100 EGP for marriage registry.... etc.

Ah ok I was expecting more as I know someone that has done it and it cost her 400 to 500 English. Pound for everything

Although do I have to get married in the ministry of justice if I'm planning on marrying in a church in Egypt anyway will all be recognised in the uk ?

Donna88 wrote:

Ah ok I was expecting more as I know someone that has done it and it cost her 400 to 500 English. Pound for everything

If she used a lawyer (which is pretty useless), yes .....

Most embassies charge less than $100 for the certificate. Some of them give it for free.

So the whole thing should not even cost 100 GBP

Ah ok good :) I currently have my birth certificate and will be going to registrar next week to get my no impediment certificate is there anything else I need from the uk to make things easier

Donna88 wrote:

Although do I have to get married in the ministry of justice if I'm planning on marrying in a church in Egypt anyway will all be recognised in the uk ?

If one spouse is foreign, Mosque/Church/Ma'azoon (Muslim marriage Registrar)/Priest cannot marry them. Marriage has to take place at MoJ.

You can do the church religious ceremony, but they cannot give you any papers.

Recognizing your marriage in the UK is easy. You will need to have your certificate translated at the Office of the Trustee General of Notary Public, in Es'aaf, Cairo, then stamp it from the same office (make sure you tell them you want to stamp it from Ministry of Foreign Affairs because they need to give you a special stamp for that).

Afterwards you need to head to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Attestation Office to attest it, then stamp it from your embassy ..... then you need to know where to go to back home to register it.

Donna88 wrote:

Ah ok good :) I currently have my birth certificate and will be going to registrar next week to get my no impediment certificate is there anything else I need from the uk to make things easier

Call British Embassy in Cairo ..... Egyptian law specifies that a NOC must be obtained from the foreign partner's embassy, however it does not specify/restrict what the embassy can ask for (documents, fees, conditions ......etc.) to give it. You need to call them to make sure you have all the required documents from the UK before departing

I'm confused lol don't take much I'm going to Egypt in October I am planning on getting baptised christain othodox same as my husband  could u give me a step by step of what I have to do to get married

Ok thanks

Donna88 wrote:

I'm confused lol don't take much I'm going to Egypt in October I am planning on getting baptised christain othodox same as my husband  could u give me a step by step of what I have to do to get married

I am not Christian so I know nothing about getting baptised. But I know that since you are not Egyptian, the church can NOT legally marry you. They can do the religious ceremony, however, but not the legal part.

Once you arrive, you will need to head to Tahrir Complex (Al Mogamma') to get a touristic residence stamp. Painless procedure (free, five minutes, no paperwork).

You both need to go to a public hospital to get a Health Certificate for marriage ..... You need copies of your passport and his ID and personal photos .. Free of charge

You need to buy a 50 EGP family fund stamp from any post office

You need to get baptised and get the certificate of baptism

You need - finally - to go to MoJ with all that (and photocopies of all that as well), and get married !

Then you need to do the translation I mentioned in an earlier post

Ok it doesn't seem as complicated as I first thought what u mean by person photo just like a passport size photo?

Donna88 wrote:

Ok it doesn't seem as complicated as I first thought what u mean by person photo just like a passport size photo?

Yes

But, for the third time I have to assert : Check with your embassy in Cairo ASAP for whatever documents they may ask for to give you the NOC.

Yes I will do I will call now  thanks

Anyone have the number for the British embassy in Cairo one I'm calling says its not recognised for some reason

Donna88 wrote:

Anyone have the number for the British embassy in Cairo one I'm calling says its not recognised for some reason

Can u give me the # you are calling?