Getting married in Thailand

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Thailand or who are about to get married in Thailand to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Thailand? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Thailand)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Just got married with a Thai national a week ago. With formalities you refer to the legal matters?

For me the steps were pretty simple, a few weeks ago I went to my country's embassy to get the legal documentation (comfirmation I am not married yet) and got it translated into Thai right away.
Last week my fiancee and I went to the ministry of foreign affairs in BKK and got the signature on the embassy papers legalized (bring it today, pick itt up tomorrow at a cost of 800 baht).
With these documents, plus passport copies of the both of us, plus the "house registration" book of my fiancee and a witness we went to a local government office in BKK. They complained the papers I got from the embassy were not good enough since it didnt state literally that I was "qualified" to marry. So we got in a cab and went to the next office. They mentioned the same thing but also understood the papers from the embassy are standardized so its all I can get.
Over there it took maybe 45 minutes to get all the papers fixed and we left the building with a "Kor ror 2" and "Kor ror 3" document under our arm being legally married.

If you want everything can be done in a couple of days:
Papers embassy: 1 hour to complete
Translation of those papers: 1 hour to complete
Ministry of foreign affairs: 1 day to complete (or 2-3 days if you only want to pay 400 baht).
Local government: 1 hour to complete

How complicated it was?
At the embassy it was all simple since they speak my own language. Ministry of foreign affairs is harder since everything is in Thai there (all the signs, etc). But when you enter the building you can hire "tour guides" for like 400 baht to help you go through the proces you need; they speak english.
At the local government you need to understand Thai since all papers are in Thai and you need to understand them before they let you sign them. But your fiancee/wife can probably translate for you and then its fine.

Hello,

Thanks for your contribution. In addition I would like to ask a couple of questions, thanks for answer if you know the answers.

- what are the legal pre-requisites (if any) to get married to a Thai woman ?

- as compared to occidental countries (Europe, UK, USA), are there any specific duties with respect to the law ? is there any notion of "marriage contract" as exists in France ? and so on ... ?

Early thanks for your answer(s)
HMag

Pre-requisites:
You are currently not married.
You are 18+ in age.
You have a job with an income (yeah seriously, this is one of the things that needs to be filled in at your embassy or they will deny you to get married. They will not check though if your mentioned occupation and income is correct).

Can't answer your second question (also not sure if I understand what you are asking exactly).

I would like to say thanks for this information u posted about getting marryed in Thailand,, im going out to meet up my future partner,( flying out on Friday 13th April, Gulpppp) so that we can prepair things for our marrage in November, we are both picking up little things that we need to know as we prepair..Thanks again for u part, :D Simon

An blogpage about getting married in Thailand, including some pics:

http://stuckinthailand.com/thailand/get … n-thailand