Buenos Aires Traveler Tips

As I've been living in Buenos Aires for a while I attach a few tips I learned during my stay here, hope you find them useful.
-Always carry an ID (could be your driving license). It could be required if you want to pay with your credit card.

-Keep your small change if you decide to travel around in urban bus. Buenos Aires has a coins crisis since last year and results very difficult to find  change as bus tickets  are paid in machines that only receive coins.

-When taking a taxi at the street try to take only cabs with the word Radio Taxi written above.  They suposse to be more secure as they are affiliated to a radio taxi company and not independent drivers.

-Strong rains in the city usually block some subway stretches and stations are closed generating a big traffic chaos. Is better to wait until is clear up especially if it gets you during the rush hours (9 A.M.& 6 to 8 P.M.).

-To pay a taxi ride with a ARS$100 bank note could be almost an insult to the taxi driver. Change the high denominations bank notes and try to carry small change to pay the closest you can to the total amount.  If you couldn't find change, ask the driver if he can give you change before to get into the cab.

-Be careful when crossing streets. Stop signals doesn't exist in the city and pedestrian crossings are not respected by the drivers, in the same way, don't pretend the cars are going to stop people are not use to give the pedestrians to pass.

-Even though Buenos Aires is a big city, small neighborhood kiosks and stores use to close during 2:00 P.M until 4:00 P.M to rest during their siesta time.  Be sure you don't need anything important during these hours.

-Tipping is not mandatory but it is always well received. The usual is to give between 10% and 12% and many places tip is only allowed in cash.

-Small stores and restaurants don't receive credit card.  If they do, you will be usually  charged with an extra 10%. In order to avoid misunderstandings try to ask before consume.

-Restaurants use to charge an extra fee that can vary between $4 and $10 ARS each person for table service.

-Usually kiosks don't sell alcohol beverages after 10:00 P.M

-Weekends are the best days to sightseeing Buenos Aires as most of the tourist places, parks and central avenues are full of craft markets, street concerts and other cultural expressions.

I have been living in Buenos Aires for a few years and as such have my own opinions regarding things here.  So, in the friendly spirit of contributing a differing perspective on life here, I am going to post my observations. 

I would point out that the greater metropolitan area, Gran Buenos Aires, is inclusive of nearly 14 million residents, making it one of the largest cities in the world.  Capital Federal, the City of Buenos Aires, has nearly 4 million residents.  You are going to find a lot of varying opinions based upon people's individual experiences here.  The best thing for you to do would be to come here and experience Buenos Aires for yourself.  If you cannot, then I would suggest going to a variety of resources for information to try to ascertain what seems the most credible. 

Buenos Aires is a city of barrios, neighborhoods, and there is even conflict regarding their exact number.  Wikipedia has claimed for years that there are 48 barrios while the official website for the City of Buenos Aires, www.ba.gov.ar, holds that there are only 47 barrios.  In either case, the point remains the same – Buenos Aires offers a wide range of cultural norms depending on what part of town you are visiting. 

With no further ado, here are my own observations regarding the prior post:

First of all in my opinion the moneda (small change) crisis has been over for a few months.  The government started both recirculating change and minting new change.  I am amazed at the ease of getting change now.  For instance the last few times  I went to the grocery they gave me a ton of 1 peso coins instead of the usual 2 and 5 peso bills.  Also you can go to many banks and get up to around 20 pesos in coins at a time.

It is also sort of untrue that the bus tickets are paid only in coins.  The city of Buenos Aires initiated a new system a couple of months ago wherein the buses are now going to take an electronic card you prepay and then only have to swipe.  I believe currently there are only 4 bus lines taking this card, but the system is expected to be expanding quickly to include the entire system. 

There are many taxi services here that are affiliated with radio taxi companies here that do not have the designation Radio Taxi written on them.   I have been taking any taxi I want for years here without any problem.  I have always felt the “use only Radio Taxis” is a myth and experience has lent credence to that idea.

Rush hour is more like 7.30 to 10 a.m., noon until around 1.30 p.m., and 4 until about 7 p.m.  And strong rains create havoc at all times, not just rush hour.

It is not insulting to pay a taxi driver with a AR$100 peso note. However, you are running the risk of having them switch it for counterfeit or giving you a counterfeit AR$ 50 note back in change.  In my opinion the 50 peso notes are the most common ones counterfeited and taxi services are notorious for handing them out in change. 

I would never waste my time asking a taxi driver if he could make proper change.  They typically have more change on them than a typical bank teller.  If they tell you they do not have change, they are just trying to hustle you out of money.  I just tell them to drive me for free to the nearest kiosko or bank and I will get change there.  Then all of a sudden they remember they have change.

I agree with taking care when crossing the street. I was plowed down by a car while crossing Av. Cordoba on a crosswalk and with the right of way.  However, it is ludicrous to say there are no stop signals in the city.  I can see half a dozen of them through the living room window of my apartment as I am writing this.

Siesta time is not really respected much in Buenos Aires, but is very characteristic of life in the provinces.  There are a few random places that close in the afternoon, but one need not be concerned with it as nearly 100% of the places remain open throughout the day. I have lived in Abasto, Retiro and now in Villa Crespo (all traditional barrios and not tourist areas) and I only know of 3 places that are closed for siesta time.

Tipping is not mandatory anywhere on the planet. However, 10% is the norm here not 10 – 12%.  Also, you must tip in cash everywhere I have ever been here.  The credit card systems here are not structured for allowing for tips.  It is a banking system / credit card system issue here, not one involving preference for cash tips at some places and not at others. 

Many stores, particularly larger ones, actually give you a discounted rate when using a credit card, not the opposite.   Bank accounts with debit are credit cards assigned to them are charged monthly fees regardless of the amount of money in the account or the number of transactions.  So what the credit card companies do is negotiate discounts certain days of the week and/or on certain products to entice people to get credit cards in the first place.  In some instances you can get a 10% discount if using cash, but only if you ask.  Whenever I purchase appliances I have successfully done so.  But groceries almost always have a promotion going for high discounts to credit card users. 

I have regularly purchased alcoholic beverages at kiosks after 10 p.m. and even after midnight. In some instances they will refuse to sell it directly to you after certain hours from their location, but in those instances you can prepay and they will deliver it in 5 minutes to your apartment. 

Weekends are only good for sightseeing in Buenos Aires if you like the overpriced street fairs, etc.   Otherwise it is much better to sightsee on weekdays. In many instances you will find you will receive excellent discounted rates if you go to place on weekdays instead of the weekends.  The zoo is a perfect example of this alternate pricing system on weekdays. 

The weekends are absolute hell for going to most tourist places.  The crowds make things difficult and in my opinion often times the restaurants, etc. are not operating at their highest quality of service or food preparation….   Many places, particularly in tourist areas, prices are inflated on the weekends to take advantage of unknowing sightseers.

Also, you will likely find that pickpockets and motochorros are out in abundance on weekends, taking advantage of the large crowds.  The Federal Police indicate that approximately 50 percent of reported “Smash/Snatch and Grab” type robberies that occur in Buenos Aires are perpetrated by criminals on motorcycles or commonly referred to as “Motochorros.”

thanks a lot ... very interesting  and helpful!!!!!