Lonely mum in malta

hi everyone. i moved to malta in may this year so not been here long. i have three children aged 4,3 and 5months.

my husband goes to work everyday and i stay indoors as i dont know anyone here yet. my children are due to start the local state school in oct but we really need to make new friends before then!!

ive met a few people but they dont have children.

does anyone know of any playgroups that are open through the summer near gharghur. i cant seem to find any advertised anywhere and we are desperate to get out of the house and start enjoying our new life here.

many thanx

melissa x x

Hi!

I'm lonely in Mexico :(
We moved here in october 08. My husband was hired by a company here, my son is 15 and happy with his new friends and new school... me? Im bored, lonely and I know Mexico is beautiful and full of places to see but Im not really enjoying it because Im home alone all day.
So tell me about Malta...maybe we can share our experiences and that will help a little :)
Im originally from Quito - Ecuador. I was a flight attendant for 16 years. I love planes, books, cats, beer, martial arts, good conversation.

Good luck!

Johanna

Hi liss+3, and welcome on Expat.com :)

the Malta expat network might help you to make new contacts

Hi Melissa....you have your hands full there. My names Mari, im here in Malta staying with my brother in St. Pauls Bay. Myself and my 10 year old son are like you on our own during the day.

Hes just started summer school in St. Pauls primary...the staring age was 3 so while this one is already running there may be another one still taking bookings around. Its proving a great way for him to make friends.

Also if you put 101 things to do in Malta in your seach engine there a helpful section giving advice on relocating here.

We moved from Ireland ...where have you moved from?

Hope thats of some help

Take care Mari

thankyou for all your replys. we moved from kent england. I think the main prob is we are still trying to get a car so getting around is difficult, too difficult to go by bus anywhere on my own i just cant manage all three plus buggy and bags!!

will try out all your advice

thankyou

melissa

thankyou

Hi Melissa

I'm so glad I found your post! I have just moved to Malta from South East london with my 1 year old son Charlie and boyfriend Andre. My boyfriend runs a lido in Mellieha and we live in Pembroke. I've looked for mummy and toddler groups too and have really struggled. There seems to be nothing on the internet! Friends have told me things tend to happen more in winter time so I'm hoping to find something then! In the meantime I'd be really happy to meet up if you fancy it? Your profile says you're in Ghargur which isn't far from me. I don't have a car at the mo but am hoping to get something sorted in the next couple of weeks ...but there's also the malta buses : ) Let me know and maye we can get our own group started!

Hope to hear from you

Linds

x
x

that would be fantastic. we dont have a car at the mo either but im going back to kent in 3wks time to hopefully get one and bring it over later in the year.

i would love to meet up.

i too have heard things will be different in the winter.

take care
melissa

Great! ...See we have a playgroup already : ) I can't get to the internet everyday as I'm waiting for that to be sorted at home! So here is my mobile number - it's a UK number at the mo as ...guess what... I'm waiting to get a maltese phone sorted also! The number is 0044 7947 436970. Maybe you could text me on that and then we can arrange to meet up sometime soon. If it's a prob then I will check my mail as soon as I can!

Look forward to meeting you both!

Linds

x
x

Hi liss+3. I live in Gharghur with my 2œ year old and 1 year old. Like others say, there are more things going on during the winter season, right now ppl tend to stay in during the day. Feel free to contact me and we can meet up.

obviously anyone else in the thread that wants to meet up feel free to contact me too :)

Hi Anna

Just to let u know that myself, Lucy and Melissa are going to meet next fri (4th) at 3pm at Mcdonalds - Bay Street. It's pretty good for the kids as it has a big terrace! If you're free then you're more than welcome to come along. My little boy is 1yr 2 months! You can always contact me on my mobile too which is 79474369

Be great to meet you and your little ones

Linds

x
x

Hi,

I have been an expat for 17 years living in Asia and am thinking of moving to Malta.  I am interested to know if there is possibly the demand for a Mother & Toddler group?  I worked at the Canadian International School running 5 mornings a week a M & T group programme.  I then moved to the German European School and ran 3 mornings M & T group and 2 morning dropp-off group for up to 3 year olds. I had my own home-based Pre-school and I then became a full-time Kindergarten Teacher at the Chinese International School so, as you can see, lots of experience! I thought I would break from Teaching for a while but after 2 months in Germany and numerous emails from my class, I know I want to start work again.

I have a 13 year old daughter who has never lived in England, cannot speak German and has lived in the safe environment of Singapore.  I thought Malta maybe a good choice for her to continue her education. 

Love to hear from you.

JBees.

Hi all,

I am Maltese and I registered simply to answer a few questions you have.  I lived abroad as well with a small kid and got by with help of the locals.

So here goes some ideas:

Gharghur:  there is Nannakola (it means Ladybug).  It's a nursery and it accepts very young children (as far as I remember 6 months and older).  It is in Gharghur primary school.  Was still being furnished when I last visited over a year ago.  It is run by vistacoop as are other summer clubs http://www.vista.coop/  They are against payment.

Kinder classes:  Government schools accept kids from 3 years upwards.  It is good to contact the school first.  Each locality has its own kinder/primary school. It's better to visit the school.  The school secretary should be there but scholastic year is starting on 24th Sept 2009, so you will find more help.

Other children's groups.  There is a cinemum club by Eden cinemas in St Julians held every Friday morning.  Children under 4 years are free. http://www.edenleisure.com/page.asp?p=18710  They also organise Pushing power fitness classes.

YELLOW PAGES
The new edition is being distributed around the island during the coming months.  The site is free to browse
http://www.yellowpages.com.mt/  It is a very useful resource!

Sorry for the long post.  If I can help, let me know. :)

christine

Hi !

Coming back from Spain, I've just read all yours messages,I'm so glad to see that there is a playgroup !, I would like to participate in your next meeting ! ( if possible).

See you soon!

Gemma

Gemma

Hi Gemma

Hope u had a good time in Spain! U've come back to rain and thunderstorms ; ) Maybe u could text me your mobile no and I'll let u know when we're meeting next ...we're still working on getting more people involved so be great to meet you! My no is 79474369

Linds
x

Thanks Linds !

My mobile no is 79902173.

See you !
Gemma

Hi Girls
My name is Karen and I'm from Ireland. Moved to Malta in 2008 with my maltese husband and 2yr old daughter. If you are still meeting up for your play dates and of course coffee I would love to join you. Looking forward to hearing from you. Kar xx

Hi everyone, I have just moved here from the Uk with my husband and little boy that is 5 months old. We are really hoping to meet some new people here in Malta and i am not working at the moment so would love to meet up with other mums.
  If you could let me know if you still meet and maybe i could come along next time, thanks Katie x