Trying for a Retirement visa...

Hi everyone. My husband and I are currently working on our retirement visa for Espana. We're planning on renting in Valencia area until we know more about where we want to end up...probably northern Spain.

We started our visa application process in June 2011. We have yet to submit it. We've visited the consulate (in Los Angeles) about 6 times so far. Each time having an appt and going through the paperwork with the (excellent) person at the window. Bring your questions!

Some forms are only in Spanish. You can google translate them which will help somewhat.

This is what we needed -- although I've heard that it all depends on the consulate...

>fingerprints for the...
>FBI background check + apostille from the US State Dept (good for 3 months)
>Physical exam resulting in a doc's letter stating you don't have any dread diseases and are not crazy. (ie, blood panel, tb test, no evidence of mental distress or drug abuse, vaccinated for DPT, Hep A/B, flu, and not visited countries with yellow fever, plague or cholera in last 3 years) (good for 3 months)
>Copy of proof of income (good for 3 months)
>Certified copy of marriage certificate + apostille
>Proof of health insurance good in Spain
>Form: Application for National Visa (it's in english)
>Lease agreement which is proof of "current" residence in Spain (kinda basackwards)
>Original passport (just for mtg) and color copies of your passport front page
>Form: Extranjeros (in spanish)
>Form: Centro Gestor (in spanish)
>All items in english must be translated by a registered translator which can be done here in the US. We have a good one if you'd like a referral and it can be done via internet.
>Registered translator will provide proof of being registered
>4 passport photos
>postal or money order for $14.69 to Consulate General of Spain for each person
>postal or money order for $140.00 to Consulate General of Spain for each person

Since we started in June (and had no clue what we were doing) we now feel we need to re-do the FBI, proof of income and health letter because they're time sensitive.

Original and two complete sets of copies for each applicant. Don't forget the translations.

If there are two (or more) of you, make appts for each person which can be done online. The time may be needed -- they're only 10 min long.

We will probably (hopefully) submit in late December. Any rumors I've heard have been an 8+ month wait.

Get all your ducks in a row. If you get denied, you have a Very Hard time getting approved if/when you resubmit.

Good luck to all. Remember to double check everything I've written because it's time sensitive and may change with each consulate. They'll give you a (pretty clear) list of what's needed at your first appt -- or don't forget to ask!

Let's meet in Spain!!

Alinda & Art

Alinda,

The timing and substance of your post is borderline bizarre.  I normally only check this Expat.com site about every four months.  And, your situation is uncanny to ours to say the least.

I am not going to go into detail here, but I am more than willing to offer suggestions if you like.  (One hint, in the long run you are going to need a whole lot more than 4 passport pictures.)

[Moderated: no free ads please]

Bob

Thank You Bob!!

We'll keep in touch and I'm heading over to your blog now.

PS Just ordered your book. : )

thiswildride wrote:

>Copy of proof of income (good for 3 months)

Alinda & Art

What is the $ or € value for the proof?

joaquinx, when we applied about 8 mos ago it was minimum $1,700 US guaranteed income per person per month like a pension or SS. We also provided our bank and investment statements.

thiswildride wrote:

joaquinx, when we applied about 8 mos ago it was minimum $1,700 US guaranteed income per person per month like a pension or SS. We also provided our bank and investment statements.

Thanks.It looks like I can make over the bar.

hi i applied in  los angeles and didnt do something right  ( didnt ger rejected just forgot to fill out the tax form bit was just told to come back )  i get my income  thru wire   i don have to be in the usa to receive my  income, i can be anywhere,  and i can pay taxes  anywhere ,  ae we taxed in spain AND in the use also??  what translation service online did you use? what insurance did you buy ( no deductibles ) its so difficult b cus of the time limit on the documents and who wants to rent a place in spain and not know if they are approved? best to get a friend to write a letter saying you can say w them-- im not paying for   a place where i cannot live yet thats not fair to do to people