Working in Mauritius

hello every one,I'm a newbie in this forum my name is Onyx a Filipino optometrist,a job offer has given to me to work in Mauritius as optometrist 3 months from now I'll be working in Mauritius Island.I just want to know the Cost of living there coz they have given me 1,500 USD as my salary if my accommodation,and transportation is free.can i sustain myself leaving there?although I can work at my vacant time do Photography & play guitar as my Sideline job additional income if this is possible?please help me assist my job offer if the salary given to me is enough or small,i need to decide this week if i will accept the job or not.

thank you.waiting for the advice from the group.:=D

Onyx

Hello Onyx and welcome to Expat.com!

Concerning the cost fo living, this link may help you > https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5090.

Harmonie.:)

thanks for the advice harmonie its a great help:)

Hi Onyx,

I can see that you have put a lot of post asking the same question. Dont worry as a single guy, that salary should good enough for you.
We  have a community of Filipinos, and thier famililes  that meet every week in Mauritius, once you are here, you too can join us.
Cheers and Mabuhay!!!
Terence

thank you sir terrence,

I just want to make sure before accepting the Job offer from the employer.

hope to join the Filipino community soon.:D

Hi,

Since you are leaving your country and your current job  , just make sure that the company and the people whom you are now  joining are reliable. Sometimes all that glitters is not Gold.

Cheers!!!
Terence

jungleonyx wrote:

thank you sir terrence,

I just want to make sure before accepting the Job offer from the employer.

hope to join the Filipino community soon.:D

thanks for the Advice:D

Actually two big companies given me the job offer one from UAE and the other is in Mauritius Island that is why I,m trying to choose which glitters the real gold :)

hello everyone,

needed your advice my employer in Mauritius give me a business visa to travel to Mauritius and once i landed on the Island they will process my working permit.is this legal?

and also is it okay to bring USD currency?how much do i need to bring for a pocket money for my airport transportation and food allowance?

needed your help,thanks.

Onyx

d
id u find what u looking for ?????

Hi Junglebox,

Usually it's ok to come in with a business visa and then apply for Work or Occupation Permit. 100% legal. However, the immigration office prefers that work permit applications are done while expatriate worker is still in his country.  You are not allowed to take up employment only on the strength of your business visa, you will have to wait for the Work permit... the only annoying this is that there are no specific delays stated by authorities, as regards to the processing of your work permit application.

If you are in the IT sector, then that should take you around 1 month or so.

Hi Junglebox

Welcome to Mauritius ☺

Nadeem is perfectly right.  Surely, you will be working on an Occupational Permit, where the procedures are less cumbersome.

For sure Rs 45,000/- does allow one to lead a proper style of living.

Still, it would be good that you negotiate well your contract, and know your conditions of service, your rights, expected performance, residence expenses, travelling, and other expenses etc.

Indeed, once you sign the contract it will, in case you are not happy on the terms, paradoxically, be easier for you to terminate the contract than to renegotiate it.

If you so wish, you can send me the contract by mail, and I will advise you on the terms etc.

Cheers

Vayid

Well Vayid is the right guy when it comes to Labour Law. I'm more into Immigration Law. It can be useful if you can have someone like Vayid to 'vet' your proposed contract.

All the best!