Cost of Living & expected income

Hi!

My husband and I are moving to Umbria in August. We will be living in a house 26km from Perugia and wanted to find out about cost of living. My husband and I aren't big spenders so we will be living on the cheap. Our rent is 400E/month but just want to check about the following:

- Cost of bus ticket into Perugia? Cost from perugia to Rome & from Perugia to Florance?

- Food?

- Wine & Beer from a bottle shop? at a restaurant?

- Cost of Gas/electricity?

- Health cover for non residence?

- Car costs? I.e. registration, services, insurance, etc?

Some other questions I have are...

- Are there many secondhand clothing shops in Italy and in particular Perugia?

- What time does public transport run until?

- How much can you earn teaching english, working in a bar/restaurant? Do they pay Cash or on the books?

- I am thinking about bringing my dog, can the dog go on buses? are they accepted in Italy? (I know they have to wear a muzzle)

Do you have any other tips??

So many questions sorry.

Hope someone can help me!

Thanks

Hi Lottie,

My husband and I have been living in Perugia since September 08.

So I can answer some of your questions:

- Cost of bus ticket into Perugia? Cost from perugia to Rome: 40 euros round trip.

- Food: for 2 people who don't each much (on a tight budget) and who don't buy meat or fish hardly, we spend roughly 350 on food each month.

- Wine & Beer from a bottle shop? at a restaurant: wine ranges from like 1.50 and upwards. you can find really cheap decent wine in the supermarkets. in the restaurants, you can get decent house wine for good prices as well.

- Cost of Gas/electricity: suuuuuuuuuuuuper expensive. be conservative. tip: do your laundry on sundays, when the electricity is cheaper.

- Health cover for non residence: it's national health care here, so technically it's free. however you will pay nominal fees for certain tests etc...

- Car costs? I.e. registration, services, insurance, etc?: car registration was almost 500 euros. insurance is 500 euros a year for one car.

Some other questions I have are...

- Are there many secondhand clothing shops in Italy and in particular Perugia? I don't know the answer to this one, but there are markets in all the little towns and a huge market every saturday at the stadium in Perugia. you can get good deals for food and clothing.

- What time does public transport run until?

- How much can you earn teaching english, working in a bar/restaurant? Do they pay Cash or on the books?

- I am thinking about bringing my dog, can the dog go on buses? are they accepted in Italy? (I know they have to wear a muzzle)

Do you have any other tips??: not at the present time, but if i think of something i'll let you know!

P.S. what will you and your husband be doing here in Perugia? Are you staying permanently?

Have a great day,

Jean-Nicole

Hi Jean-Nicole,

Thanks so much for your reply! We are getting a 1year Visa and staying in a house for artists to produce artwork, live and exhibit.

We may need to work part time after winter but haven't planned that far ahead yet.

What are you and your husband doing in Italy?

Thanks again

Lottie