Missing daughter and friend in costa rica

thanks to all

If you are not sure and need to report her missing:

http://costarica.usembassy.gov/uscitizen.html

Report it to the OIJ police who are able to take your report, and also to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy at 2519-2000 (during work hours) and 2220-3127, 2519-2280, or 2519-2279 (after work hours), or by email to:  [email protected]. The loss or theft abroad of a U.S. passport should be reported immediately to the U.S. Embassy. This allows the Embassy to make the necessary notifications that may help catch criminals, including terrorists, who try to buy or use the passport.

Good luck

Good news :top:

Hello,

There is a group of expats, residents, and citizens in the sector of Costa Rica this crime took place; who with considerable information-sharing with local law enforcement, have made great strides to lessening the crime that affects our piece of paradise.

You may read about it in a recent article in the Tico Times, an English-language Costa-Rican national newspaper.

As this "missing daughter" incident illustrates, we clearly have a long way to go to making the southern Caribbean coast as placid and idyllic as it appears in photos. One way you could help us is to file a report.

As lajicama correctly pointed out, initially reports should be made with both the Fuerza Publica (street police) followed by a denuncia (a formal criminal complaint) with OIJ (closest correlation I can muster is that they are like a squad of detectives.)   

I'm not sure if a denuncia can be filed from abroad, but I will make an inquiry into this matter for you. I will post the response here for the benefit of future searches.

The Caribe Mas Seguro (More Caribbean Security) group also collects data from victims of crimes within our region for the purposes of notifying those who live in our community. I have witnessed on multiple occasions, a Caribe Seguro alert that quickly resulted in a suspect being detained.

I know that we are all sincerely sorry for what has transpired, and that it has not soured your families on considering a future/return visit to the Caribe Sur we all hold so dear. As you have witnessed from the replies and assistance you got from our locals, that many of us are truly committed to cleaning up our region. Let us know in advance and we will make sure you all have an awesome vacation!