Help finding a charming village for long-term stay

Hi All!

My husband and I are planning a return trip to Spain in September. Our goal for this trip is to find a village where we can return for an extended stay (1-3 mos.) , possibly a move if we discover the right spot. We're looking for a charming and historic place either near Madrid or north of it. Our Spanish is rudimentary but we're studying ahead in readiness for the  trip. Our interests include: walking/hiking, being in nature, cooking (good restaurant availability is important), forming new relationships and volunteering/service, but most importantly, we want to become part of a community. We are currently exploring Cuenca, Huesca, Segovia and Logrono. Any suggestions or comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks! Melissa

My partner an I are in a similar position though I think you are further along in your experience and investigations. We were originally thinking more of northern Spain then the south now we are thinking more about Zaragoza and Logrono and elsewhere in Galacia. We haven't even started our Spanish lessons and I have learned that fewer people speak English in those areas. We are adventurous but I am 78 (a young 78) but wonder if I may be deluding myself.

Good luck on your pursuits.

Chris

Chris,

There are SO many resources out there for language. Try something simple like Duolingo to begin. You'll be surprised at how fast you'll pick it up! Thanks for the well wishes.

@emalekween

This is a toughie... Spain's the country of charming villages. :-)

@gwynj

Yes, this is true!

@gwynj

Actually, we thought we'd start at a larger village like Salamanca and do some day trips from there.  Cuenca is still on the list, but I think Logrono will be too rainy. Huesca hasn't made the cut either. A work in progress. ;)