I am seeking to move to Spain

Hi, my name is Laura. i currently reside in the UK but am seeking to move to Spain. i am open to working in Spain within an IT Service Management sector. i would love to retire to Spain but dont have the means to qualify for a golden visa. My Spanish is basic but I'm keen and eager to learn. ive so much to give.

@lozloc Do you know where in Spain you want to live? Your job search will limit you to big Cities with IT Parks.

Ideally Guardamar but am open to suggestions.

Hello and welcome on board, Laura !

Please note that I have created this new thread from your post on the Spain forum so that you may better discuss with members.

Feel free to read the Living in Spain Guide for detailed infos about job hunts.

All the best

Bhavna

The location will much depend on where you can get a job, which won't be easy, as Spain has the highest unemplyment rate in the EU (Unepmployment for the under 26 aged is 28%). Many British companies have subsidaries in Spàin (I worked 10 years for Lucas/Girling in Northern Spain). So I suggest you contact the British Chamber of Commerce in Barcelona for employment opportunities. Then, contact your mearest Spanish consulate for the type of visa you require. It won't be easy and don't expect red carpets to be rolled out, but you can make it. My own experience: you can have anything if you are motivated and go for it. Good luck.

@lozloc

The Golden Visa is indeed very pricey. Most retirees grab a No Lucrativa Visa, which is a non-work visa for those with passive income (pensions, rents, dividends, etc.) or savings. You need about 30k euros currently in savings.

If you want/need to work, there are specific processes for getting immigration approval to be employed or self-employed in Spain. But while it is possible, it can be a bit tricky for non-EU citizens. Typically, you'd need a formal job offer first. Ideally, in your case (as you're in IT), a higher-paying job that allows you to qualify for an EU Blue Card (I think that you need a salary over 35k euros ish).

There is also a Digital Nomad Visa if you do your IT work online.