Family Immigration - Sister

Hi everyone,

I am naturalized Norwegian citizen and have a job in IT for more than 20 years in Oslo, Norway. I am planning to bring my sister from Malaysia into the country through Family Immigration program. I was wondering if anyone can share your experience on what the best path I could follow? I was thinking to either apply from origin country or apply inside Norway where she will be in tourist visa. Another question: How long will it take until it has been approved? according to UDI site, it is case by case so I was wondering if anyone may share their case duration?

Appreciate your kind sharing and TIA.

Mrs. Hondag

In general you can't bring your siblings with family reunification unless there is very special reasons :for example if they are very sick and there is no one to take care of them in their home country etc.

@Rridik Thanks for the insight. I saw this on UDI site, "It is very difficult for other types of family members to be granted family immigration. You can only be granted family immigration if UDI believes that strong humanitarian considerations apply in your case. We make a specific assessment of this in every individual case, so we cannot say anything in general about what is required for other family members to be granted family immigration."

I don't know what may meet "strong humanitarian considerations".  In my situation, my sister lives alone with no immediate family members remaining, as both of our parents are deceased.

Like i said if she is under age and there is no one to take care of her or if she is very sick and alone.

Sorry that they have past away.

Even if your parents was living is very difficult to bring them here almost impossible. They have to be over 60 yrs and should not have people in the country they come from two generations down and one generation up meaning here (children,nieces, nephews,patents) som conditions that very few candidates can fill you can tell in both hands fingers.

You welcome!