Owning a Condo w/non immigrant O-X Visa

I noticed the Thai eVisa site says the following about this Visa:  Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).

Does anybody know the details about this?

Thanks!

You can purchase a condominium with any type of visa

I bought one when I was using the Non-immigrant

OA. Buyer beware it's a steep learning curve.

Where are you thinking of buying? Always a good

idea to tour a few places before deciding

You can purchase a condominium with any type of visa

-@KrabiMan

Yes, you're correct.

I noticed the Thai eVisa site says the following about this Visa:  Can purchase condominium (proceed in accordance with the Condominium Act).
Does anybody know the details about this?

Thanks!

-@Paul_Adams

Just out of curiosity. Why would you even think about going for an O-X visa?

I wouldn't buy anything in Thailand for at least the next two years. There are thousands of condos on the market (a number which is growing by the month) which is never a good sign and the Thai economy is on its knees at the moment and is very likely to shrink further before any recovery seriously begins

I wouldn't buy anything in Thailand for at least the next two years. There are thousands of condos on the market (a number which is growing by the month) which is never a good sign and the Thai economy is on its knees at the moment and is very likely to shrink further before any recovery seriously begins         -@Alastair Miller

Where have you read this? What's that assumption based on? And since when is the Thai economy "on its knees"?

You  can read this on the newspaper in Thailand.

You  can read this on the newspaper in Thailand.

-@JF Grosvalet

I live in Thailand since many years and there's nothing about Thai economy is on its knees in any newspaper.

Sorry we Have not the same newspaper. I m here from 20 years..

Take information on internet of course Thailand people have difficulties and lot of debts.

@Leeds forever!

The only reason would be the ability to own a home in my name.  That's all.

To be clear about my question.....The non immigrant O-X Visa was the only one that listed that you could own a condo on the Thai website.  If you can own a condo with any visa, they don't seem to say it anywhere.

The only reason for a condo purchase would be to be able to own it in my name.  I don't really want a condo, but do want ownership.

Paul the problem is that you can buy a condo in on your own name (50 % of the building must be thais) 50 % can be foreigner (little bit more expansive but secure).

But you can only buy a house with a contract on a company (not very legal) because you cannot buy the land.

You can buy a condo with a company (but i say do not do that !), buy in your own name in the condo ok for the 50 % foreigner.

Possibility is invest a lot of money in a special visa (see visa elite) and you can own the land (only 1 and limited size).

@Paul_Adams

I am a Permament Resident of Thailand and have owned a law firm here for 20+ years, specializing in real estate.

You can own a condominium in your own name on any visa.

You can own a house in your own personal name, but not the land. That must be leased, with the longest period of registration of the lease at the Land Department being 30 years. Many contracts offer an option for renewal, but these options are not registered.

You can open a Thai majority (51%) company to purchase property but you will need Thai shareholders and director and have to register with the Tax and Revenue Department. You will need to file annual reports and pay corporate tax. The government is cracking down on the use of Thai nominees as shareholders.

There are some very specialized cases of foreign ownership of land with large investment in designated zones which do not apply to the normal foreigner.

Those are the basics. The internet is full of misinformation, so you should seek legal advice before making any investment

@Paul_Adams

Hi Paul,

We are on a non immigrant O visa subject to retirement, and we bought a condo. I believe the O-X is a ten year visa. Yes you can purchase a condo or a house, but not the land.

@judyanddaveinthailand

https://youtube.com/@judyanddaveinthailand

Ah, did I miss some very vital parallel universe news? I don't believe this is true. How is the Thai economy on its knees? Sources please.

Do you even live in Thailand?

I wouldn't buy anything in Thailand for at least the next two years. There are thousands of condos on the market (a number which is growing by the month) which is never a good sign and the Thai economy is on its knees at the moment and is very likely to shrink further before any recovery seriously begins

-@Alastair Miller

I wouldn't buy  Real Estate in Thailand ,  Period

@Paul_Adams
Hi Paul,
We are on a non immigrant O visa subject to retirement, and we bought a condo. I believe the O-X is a ten year visa. Yes you can purchase a condo or a house, but not the land.
@judyanddaveinthailand

https://youtube.com/@judyanddaveinthailand-@judyhickling01

He can buy a condo on any type of visa. It has nothing to do with the O-X Long Stay visa.

Hello everyone,

Please note that I have removed some posts.

Let's keep it friendly here

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team