Looking for a good (honest) accountant probably in or close to Rio

Any recommendations

I don't want to go with any of the big boys.

I need someone who can handle a new company setup.

Who also speaks English well as well as BR Portuguese.

Keeping us complaint with all local taxes and legislation.

Will keep the books and provide a registered office and a local director, for compliance purposes.

All recommendations gratefully rec'd.

Thanks in advance.

@Brendan36 My very smart "I didn't go to college" Brazilian wife gave me some great advice based on starting "Aqui Brazilian Coffee" in the USA during our 23 years of marriage.

"Don't Register The Business Until You Have Money Coming In" "Once you register it with the govt., it is very hard to unregister it and you are on the hook for life"

You don't have to wait until your profitable, just any money coming in. You can call it a Hobby, Freelance etc., just hold off.

This doesn't include the Accountant, I should go ahead and find that person, company etc. Work with them to keep receipts etc., just don't officially file it until the last minute.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

PS. Something else you may try is to find the Start-Up hangout in Rio and get some tips from people who have started up a business in your area. When I was very young i used to hang out in a Café on Copacabana Beach with African-American Expats. Their are probably some Digital Nomads, new Start Ups who you can talk to for tips., who do they use for Accountants.. Think what Cafe would I hang out at for the WIFI if I was starting a business in Rio etc.

Thanks for the advice Roddie.. we're a very well established company, in the UK and the US.. and your response encapsulates exactly how we've approached BR expansion. However it's now time to register in territory and open bank accounts.

Any recommendations
I don't want to go with any of the big boys.
I need someone who can handle a new company setup.
Who also speaks English well as well as BR Portuguese.
Keeping us complaint with all local taxes and legislation.
Will keep the books and provide a registered office and a local director, for compliance purposes.
All recommendations gratefully rec'd.
Thanks in advance.
-@Brendan36

Here is the link to the Certified Accounting Board in Rio de Janeiro..

https://www.crc.org.br/

Under "Consulta Cadastral", you can spot the card carrying members...

https://webserver.crcrj.org.br/spw/cons … pleta.aspx

On your choice, Profissional means a chartered member who can work as a solo ( your bookeeper and advisory role ).  Pessoa Juridica means, an established, of any size, accounting firm.

A single query on individuals will net you about 4,000 entries.   Firms , about 318.  Everything you see under firms that states  "Baixado" is inactive. The rest, it's your search list.

You pull this list down on a spreadsheet, and you have a  contact list. Get your criterias in order, assign this to a trained  lower level clerk who speaks Portuguese, and you have your accountant.

Beware of recommendations, unless they are from your own trusted sources. 

Oh, and by the way.....

Some of those accountants on the Big 4 Payroil, they do work on the side ( por fora ).

You can sneak by their lunch break looking for stray cats.