When to give up on applying SPR? 15 years in Singapore.

I lived in Singapore for the past 15 years. Total 8 PR applications rejected.

I googled this topic and not seem to find any discussion about leaving Singapore. I came to Singapore in 2008, at age 21, as a young Engineering graduate from India without prior working experience, to join master's degree in NTU. It was tough financially and mentally for the first two years until I graduated in 2010. Found a job in the core engineering industry I did my master's degree. Working in core industry necessarily does not get you higher pay. While IT and Finance industries gave higher salaries, my industry paid the starring salary of $2250 pm. From 2011-2023, I have had many promotions and increments, to reach 100K+ base annual salary. In my industry, and as staff engineer, this pay is above the median salary. In between, I got married in 2016 and had two wonderful kids (1 boy and a girl), wife (Indian) not working as she needs to take care the baby/toddler.

So far, I applied for SPR at least 7-8 times. 3X with family. All rejected. Does voluntary services and donations help? Answer. NO. I am active in cc activities, voluntary services and doing donation over 8 years, monthly $60.

I have 15-20 friends in Singapore of same or higher ages, with lower pay than mine, had gotten their PR approved after 5 years of stay. They all bought houses and settled. None from India though. SPR approval is quota-based, there is ratio for each type of population needs to be maintained in Singapore, etc., I understood every aspect from the SPR approval criteria. But shouldn't I keep trying? I have never thought I would give up now. But the moment of truth hit me hard.

Why did I quit? House rent went up to $3400 pm from my current rent $2400 pm. I realized I had paid rent for all my working life, estimate 350K-400K$, had I gotten my PR early, I could have closed the mortgage by now.  Anyway, the housing became not affordable anymore. Secondly, my eldest is going to P1 next year. I paid his nursery and kindergarten around $1000+ per month, yet for P1, it's difficult to find a school and the school fee for (Indian) foreigner will be min $875 if manage to get in public school. Over $1200 for private. My second one needs to enroll nursery soon. without PR, its unaffordable. Others are medical is high for foreigners, especially kids related, cost of living etc., etc., I understand the cost-of-living hits everyone. But it hits the foreigners different level with the rents up and no subsidies.

All my friends are in Singapore, from all races. I have started my career here as young as 21, now at 37. I call Singapore my home. But the quota can pick someone who lived here less than 5 years over me? Please don't treat this post as personal rant due to my loss or my unhappiness. I feel it is one of the issues that needs to be addressed. Finally, this is my last week in Singapore of the total ~790 weeks that I lived here. Signing off.

Sorry to hear this, but such are the "adventures" of foreigners - everywhere in the world!

Be glad you were allowed to live and work here for the time you did - this was not a right, but a privilege.

In case it's a small consolation: The Singapore government does everything in their power right now to make foreigners outside of their core focus group feel unwelcome and leave.

I personally, despite being married to a Singaporean and having a Singaporean kid, lost my PR a few years ago (because we moved out of the country for too long) and next year they will close my CPF account (with contributions from 15 years working in Singapore), so I had to give up my hope to ever return.

Good luck in whatever you do and wherever you go - other countries do have advantages and offer a good lifestyle, too!

@santhoshkumar123

hey mate, sorry to hear about your numerous rejections and then the personal decision to migrate out of Singapore.

Out of curiosity, and only if you feel comfortable to share, did your nature of work (by any means) contribute to the development of Singapore?

I ask because people are increasingly discussing the importance of your work and skills that are in demand, to secure PR (in the recent times).

Good luck with the next chapter, nevertheless.

@Shekhz not sure if thats true. The friends that I mentioned in the post are my ex colleagues mostly but different countries. Anyway if this is relevant, Im into semiconductor R&D. I guess it is important for Sg's development.

@Santhosh Kumar59 thanks for sharing.