Google says cost of living is lower than the mainland US

Hellooo.

New member, about as ignorant as can be regarding all things PR.

Just got a job offer in San Juan for around $115K, was initially VERY excited about the prospect to consider moving to PR until I started looking at costs.

Everywhere you look on Google, the cost of living is supposed to be significantly less, compared to the mainland, but it's day 2 of research and ... well I am already completely deflated.

Especially the housing.

Holy moly PR is REALLY expensive. At this point I'm like WTF?!?

I'm looking on the likes of Zillo, at 3 bedroom houses, around 1500 square feet, and anything that doesn't look like a dump, commutable to San Juan is averaging around $4-5K.

That is absolutely ridiculous.

It's going to take time for my wife to get established in her line of work, so it's going to be surviving on my salary alone.

Based on what I'm seeing the cost of living in PR is definitely not "significantly lower" than the mainland.

I live in a 1500 square foot house north of San Diego paying $2.5

What I'm seeing is live in PR is twice as expensive.

So right now I'm confused.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong information, or the wrong sources.

Any suggestions regarding considering housing?

Welcome to PR bud, research act 20/22 (now act 60) and you will realise why things are so expensive. The very wealthy have moved for tax purposes and driven up the housing market.

Oh and AirBNB is also a cancer for the island that totally destroyed the long-term housing market as well.

2013 a 2BR apartment on the beach in Condado was $750-$1200 a month depending on condition. Now same said apartment is $5500/month

Also electricity is the second most expensive in America and works sporadically, groceries are also sky high.

Look in Guaynabo or Caguas and you might be able to find something more in your price range.

Be ready for the sticker shock on the cost of cars as well, don't plan on shipping yours. The cost of shipping and then the import tax (yes you will have to pay huge import taxes just to bring your car to PR).

An lastly sales tax is 11.5% haha

Sorry to piss on your parade, but its good to know what you are in for.

"Cost of living in PR less than the mainland US"... is basically then a load of horseshit.

Yeah, no thanks.

Thanks for the info.

I would encourage you to take a look at the East side of the Island (Fajardo, Naguabo, etc) decent homes, off the beaten path and very tranquil area.

@johbab

Its all relative, you are searching San Juan, the capital of Puerto Rico with the highest density of wealth.

Its like Googling cost of Living NY State and then assuming Manhattan will be "cheap"

There are VERY cheap parts of Puerto Rico that have nice homes, just not San Juan.

@johbab, if I were in your shoes, I'd research neighboring towns, as others mentioned, and then come spend 2wks in PR. Drive down, walk around the town plaza, drive through neighborhoods, get a feel. You're moving somewhere new, honestly, a different country and culture, and you should check everything out yourself. The markets, the restaurants, the roads, the people. From there, you make the connections and learn where to look for your home. It ain't on Zillow.

Correct, Clasificados is really the only game in town when home hunting but he is totally right, in San Juan rents are insane

@Guest6792

Just what the others have said, depends where you are. We have been in Rincon for five years, we got some great deals after María but now it's too expensive. We are looking at the interior, mountains etc. Rent for awhile, this IS NOT THE US, so Zillow is not your go to. Learn Spanish, talk to people, explore (and remember that they use gps coordinates for much of the territory, real easy to get lost). Also, the gentleman who mentioned cars is correct. They are hella expensive. We bought a 15 yr old Tacoma for 17,000. Buy a truck, the potholes are moon craters. And make sure AC works. PR is a great place but I really suggest you lower expectations and immerse yourself in reality.