Gourmet Thai Food

Can I get some recommendations for upscale Thai food in Bangkok? I have close friends coming to visit for a few days that are interested in this style of food. They own & operate a very successful Chinese/Korean fushion style restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area. I would really appreciate some suggestions.  Patrick

2b06.svg2b06.svg UP

@Bhavna , how come I don't get any answers to my question?

Hello Thailand4me

I don't have any idea ,...

@Bhavna thanks for your Help.

@Bhavna , how come I don't get any answers to my question?
-@thailand4me

The reason might be the question. Do you think Thai food is better when it's expensive? The price has nothing to do with quality or taste. Genuine Thai food can be found in markets or in a hole in the wall anywhere in Thailand. Expensive Thai restaurants might make the food look more beautiful when it's served,but it says nothing about the taste. There's basically no such thing as Thai gourmet food. If you want to pay 5 times more for a bowl of Tom Yum Kung in an "upscale" restaurant, then go for it. But I promise you it won't taste 5 times better.

Out of the few active members on this site, How many is from the Bangkok area ?

Out of them, How many go to upscale place ?

Maybe people have gone to upscale place and cant recommend them to you!!

We being invited to 2 upscales places over the years in Bangkok.

And yes the place look super nice.

But the food was a okay if I have to be nice about it.

I never being to a upscale place in Thailand or back in Europa where the food was worth the money.

And none of them i remember for the food.

You can ask you Thai wife.

I am sure she knows where the upscale places are, Like most Thais do.

Kindly.

@Never done that   I think it was the wrong question for me to ask. My friend was looking  for Michelin star restaurants.  I never go to expensive restaurants in Thailand, the everyday food is enough of an experience for me.  I used to be a Chef in the US, so I really enjoy finding new things to cook for myself & for friends. The mom & pop Thai restaurant are really the best.  And taking cooking classes can be great fun too.  Thanks for your feedback.  Patrick

You can look on Google Maps or regular Google for any type of Thai restaurant. The upscale restaurants are not worth the cost for the food. What you may end up paying for is the location, types of customers, and ambience. The best tasting food tends to be in the local mom and pop shops. Mostly go where all the Thais go. If they have a lot of customers for some really basic looking place that is a good indication that the food is good. We don't really eat Thai food at expensive places because we find them overpriced (except maybe birthdays or special holidays). However, this is more for the ambience than the food's taste.

@JayEsCee  thanks for the reply.  And your advice.

You can look on Google Maps or regular Google for any type of Thai restaurant. The upscale restaurants are not worth the cost of the food.

You can look on Google Maps or regular Google for any type of Thai restaurant. The upscale restaurants are not worth the cost of the food.

-@Meatnister

Many times Thai food in a small restaurant or in a hole in the wall is better,more genuine. Upscale restaurants are just tourist traps.

Can I get some recommendations for upscale Thai food in Bangkok? I have close friends coming to visit for a few days that are interested in this style of food. They own & operate a very successful Chinese/Korean fushion style restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area. I would really appreciate some suggestions.  Patrick

-@thailand4me

Not sure if its reputation is well-deserved or not (I've never eaten there), but Cabbages & Condoms is one of the most well-known restaurants in Bangkok. Another place that comes to mind is the Oriental Hotel on the river, which *I think* may offer dinner cruises on the river in addition to in-house dining.

...... but Cabbages & Condoms is one of the most well-known restaurants in Bangkok.

-@jayrozzetti23

Very low IQ prostitution?1f602.svg1f923.svg

Well, it is Bangkok.