Timeline for NLV

Hi all,

Just had our NLVs approved and the London consulate say we have 1 month to go to the consulate to get the visas. Hopefully we will go 7th March.

Once we have the visas we have 3 months to enter Spain. What do we need to do in Spain?

Can we then come back to England and sort things out? like selling our house etc. How long are we allowed to stay in England?

Is this correct?

Can't find a lot of info regarding what happens after the approval.

Anybody done this?

Any Advice?

@TinaChico

Usually, top of the list is finding a place to live. :-)

Usually, you buy it, or get a long-term rental contract.

With the deed, or the rental contract, you can register on the Padron at your local town hall (ayuntamiento). The padron certificate is a proof of address. I believe this is required for your TIE.

As soon as you are in Spain you should be looking to get your TIEs (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero).

https://extranjeros.inclusion.gob.es/es/InformacionInteres/InformacionProcedimientos/Ciudadanosnocomunitarios/hoja010/index.html

https://extranjeros.inclusion.gob.es/es/InformacionInteres/InformacionProcedimientos/Ciudadanosnocomunitarios/hoja092/index.html

I think it would be best to get your TIEs before leaving, so you can flash them at the immigration folks when you leave Spain/return from UK.

There are time limits, but I doubt that it's anything to worry about in relation to a month or two selling your house, and packing up all your worldly goods. Being a legal resident of Spain doesn't stop you from returning to UK for periods in the future (or even keeping a property there). And no obligation for you all to go together, if you want to stay in Spain and send hubby over to do the grunt work. :-)

There's some tax and social security bureaucracy to navigate too. But that's a chapter for another day, dear reader.

You can probably find a local Gestor who can help you navigate all of these things.

@gwynj Thank you for your reply. I guess I worry a lot.

@TinaChico

A little. :-) Just take a moment to be pleased that all your visas have been approved, that's a very big step (and one that has taken quite some months for you).

Some of these other tasks are quite simple in comparison. For example, our town hall has an online booking system for padron appointments (about a week or two ahead). You just rock up at the agreed time with your rental contract (or deed) and you're out again in about 20 minutes with your new padron certificate. Similarly, there's an online booking system to get a cita previa for your TIE at your local office. Again, you just go at the appointed time with your required documents (specified when you book the appointment). This takes a bit longer as there are photos and fingerprints for your biometric cards, but shouldn't be too bad. You just have to pop back a couple of weeks later to collect the cards.

Cita Previa (TIE is under the National Police option)

https://icp.administracionelectronica.gob.es/icpplus/index.html

@gwynj Do I need to the empadronamiento to get the TIE?  Sorry i have just re read your earlier email.

@TinaChico

That's my understanding, and it is mentioned online in a number of places.

Here's an example of guidance on TIE:

https://gogoespana.com/en/blog/spanish-residence-card-tie/

When you make your appointment using the Cita Previa online system, it gives you a list of requirements for your particular appointment.

I'm not 100% sure on this, so it's worth checking. But I believe you have deadlines to adhere to. Once you have your visa, I think you have 3 months to enter Spain. And once you arrive, you have 1 month to apply for your TIE. I don't know how problematic it is if you're late. This might be complex for you if you have your visa issued first, then several NLVs for your family later.

I think you'll find a local Gestor very helpful, as they can guide you through all these next steps.

Hi Tina,

When you first enter Spain, make sure that you get your passport stamped at Spanish border control, as you will need to prove when you entered Spain in order to activate your visa.

In order to comply with the terms of your visa, you can only leave Spain for a maximum of 182 days (6 months) per year, but more importantly, no more than 10 months in the first 5 years of "residencia temporal".  After 5 years, you can apply for "residencia permanente" which will allow you to leave Spain for up to 2 years.

To apply for your TIE card, you"ll need the Certificado de Empadronamiento from your Town Hall - requirements can vary from one to another, but as a minimum, you'll need to take your passport and property deeds or rental contract.  My Town Hall also requires a current utility bill.

Congratulations!

Kim